DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Homasote under the paneling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/322730-homasote-under-paneling.html)

[email protected] May 4th 11 06:08 PM

Homasote under the paneling

Entryway has that dark early 1970's paneling.

I've finally decided to get rid of it, so I did a little exploratory
surgery to see what kind of a project it will be.

The good news is the paneling isn't glued to the drywall. It'll come
right out.

The bad news is there is no drywall. Someone put up homasote board
underneath the paneling.

Is this common?

EXT May 4th 11 06:35 PM

wrote in message
Entryway has that dark early 1970's paneling.

I've finally decided to get rid of it, so I did a little exploratory
surgery to see what kind of a project it will be.

The good news is the paneling isn't glued to the drywall. It'll come
right out.

The bad news is there is no drywall. Someone put up homasote board
underneath the paneling.

Is this common?

That was common in the early 1950s before drywall dominated the construction
industry for buildings that couldn't afford real plaster.

willshak May 4th 11 06:50 PM

wrote the following:
Entryway has that dark early 1970's paneling.

I've finally decided to get rid of it, so I did a little exploratory
surgery to see what kind of a project it will be.

The good news is the paneling isn't glued to the drywall. It'll come
right out.

The bad news is there is no drywall. Someone put up homasote board
underneath the paneling.

Is this common?

It is common as interior walls which will be covered with a more durable
surface.
Its value is that it is more soundproof and has more R value than sheetrock.
What do you intend to have as a finished surface?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

hr(bob) [email protected] May 4th 11 07:09 PM

On May 4, 12:50*pm, willshak wrote:
wrote the following:

Entryway has that dark early 1970's paneling.

I've finally decided to get rid of it, so I did a little exploratory
surgery to see what kind of a project it will be.

The good news is the paneling isn't glued to the drywall. It'll come
right out.

The bad news is there is no drywall. Someone put up homasote board
underneath the paneling.

Is this common?

It is common as interior walls which will be covered with a more durable
surface.
Its value is that it is more soundproof and has more R value than sheetrock.
What do you intend to have as a finished surface?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I usually just take the cover off a light switch to see what the
backing material is. Our 1958 Chicago suburb house has 1/2" sheetrock
covered with 1/2" plaster for all walls, the extra plaster makes a
huge difference/improvement/loss in sound transference. Outer walls
are the same on the inside side, plywood with tarpaper under cedar
shingles for the outside walls. Only problem is the occasional
woodpecker.

EXT May 4th 11 07:27 PM

wrote the following:

[...]

Actually, the standard for the 50s was 3/8" gypsum lath, (replacing the
problematic wood lath) which came in boards 48" long X 16" wide, over which
was about a 1/4" rough brown plaster base covered with about a 1/8" coating
of hard white plaster. Homosote and other products were produced and sold as
a cheaper solution the the cost of a full plaster surface, drywall became
the standard and the other products died out.

[email protected] May 4th 11 08:49 PM

On May 4, 1:50*pm, willshak wrote:
What do you intend to have as a finished surface?

Painted drywall is what I planned on.

I was hoping there was drywall under the paneling that I could clean
up and paint... The Homasote means I need to get a couple of friends
in and hang some sheetrock.

willshak May 5th 11 02:36 AM

wrote the following:
On May 4, 1:50 pm, willshak wrote:

What do you intend to have as a finished surface?

Painted drywall is what I planned on.

I was hoping there was drywall under the paneling that I could clean
up and paint... The Homasote means I need to get a couple of friends
in and hang some sheetrock.

Yep, you can hang it over the homasote, or rip the homasote off and hang
the drywall directly to the studs.
You may have to consider how each would affect corners to other walls
with homasote backing.