Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SOS - SCREAMING COMPUTER!

On Friday, April 29, 2011 8:17:51 PM UTC-7, aemeijers wrote:
On 4/29/2011 10:53 PM, RosemontCrest wrote:
I had a several-year-old computer a few years ago complain in a similar way. I learned that the screaming was due to the uC overheating. Sure enough, when I opened the case, I found so many dust-bunnies in the fins of the heat sink on the uC that it couldn't possibly be cooling efficiently. After I cleaned the heat sink, the screaming disappeared. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Might not help, but it can't hurt, and the price is right. I use a leaf
blower, but a shop vac set on blow also works well. Note- do NOT spin
the CD drives with the air- they can't handle it. If there is a SWMBO in
the house, carry it out into the driveway and do it there- just like
killing dust bunnies under the bed- it goes everywhere.

--
aem sends...

In my case, the "screaming" was a tone generated by the speaker in the computer's case. The OP didn't bother to define what kind of "screaming" it hears, so it's anyone's guess as to what it means by "screaming." It could be mechanical such as a fan or disk drive, but without clarification of the noise emitted, it's hard to diagnose.