Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IP based security camera for outdoors -- Recommendation Needed

Hi.. We live in a fairly safe neighborhood, but we've been hearing of some occurrences of crime so I'm thinking of adding a couple of outdoor cameras to the house to pick-up anything out of the ordinary.

I don't mind running a network cable and power to the cameras, so I don't need wireless per say, but I would like to find some cameras with nighttime vision plus something that can see at least about 50 feet. Also I don't want to break the bank, so something that's around $150 or less per camera would be great.

For software I'm looking at setting-up Zone Minder - http://www.zoneminder.com/ - to drive the thing.

Take care --

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alex wrote:
Hi.. We live in a fairly safe neighborhood, but we've been hearing of some occurrences of crime so I'm thinking of adding a couple of outdoor cameras to the house to pick-up anything out of the ordinary.

I don't mind running a network cable and power to the cameras, so I don't need wireless per say, but I would like to find some cameras with nighttime vision plus something that can see at least about 50 feet. Also I don't want to break the bank, so something that's around $150 or less per camera would be great.

For software I'm looking at setting-up Zone Minder - http://www.zoneminder.com/ - to drive the thing.

Take care --

Sam

Hi,
No cable. You can do it wireless using compatible wireless router.
Being Linux based, dd-wrt or OpenWrt firmware compatible routers.
You go to dd-wrt OpenWrt and look around. Netgear WNDR3700 I have is
imposible to brick when you play with it. Even if you brick it, very
easy to debrick and carry on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-22, Alex wrote:
....but I would like to find some cameras with nighttime vision....

http://tinyurl.com/3r4p7oo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-22, Alex wrote:

....but I would like to find some cameras with nighttime vision....

http://tinyurl.com/3r4p7oo

Infrared camera
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 11:20*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Alex wrote:
[...]

ROFL... And running those wireless cameras 24/7 the OP will be
climbing up to change the batteries fairly often...

The OP should be looking at PoE cameras so all he needs to run
is the ethernet cable to them...

@OP:

You can get all the cameras you want, but the computer to store
all of the high fidelity streams of footage will cost you some cash,
otherwise you installed a CCTV system using IP based cameras
so you can see what is going on and nothing more...

The lower end residential grade crap will either record useless
very grainy footage or be overwriting very soon after it is
recorded...

Standard in security and loss prevention is to be able to archive
all recordings for at least 30 days for non-sensitive applications
and 90 days and up in special situations/circumstances that
require higher protection...

First you need to decide how many cameras you wish to install,
Second you need to figure out how much the storage capacity
to record the output of those cameras for at least 30 days is
going to cost, Third you need to purchase a back-up UPS
power supply to keep the cameras running (what use are they
if someone can pull the plug for your whole block to shut them
off if the want to hit your fortress), then you can worry about
specifics such as what software and devices you will install...

Without the storage capacity any home based camera system
will be utterly useless as anything more than a novelty to see
who is ringing the doorbell...

~~ Evan