Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Question About A Digital Thermostat

Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Hi,
Take it outside or put it in the fridge for a while and see what it reads.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 19, 12:00*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ron wrote:
Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Hi,
Take it outside or put it in the fridge for a while and see what it reads..

Already did that, no change. I would think it's supposed to work like
a regular digital thermometer that you put batteries in. Maybe it's
fried right out of the box?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2011 10:48 PM, Ron wrote:
Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

i think the key here is "someone gave me".

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Ron wrote:

Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Just guessing here... is 72° the 'target', or desired temperature, as
opposed to the current actual ambient room temperature?

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Erik wrote:

In article
,
Ron wrote:

Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Just guessing here... is 72° the 'target', or desired temperature, as
opposed to the current actual ambient room temperature?

Erik

More... looks like a pdf of the instruction manual is available he

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/...l/1F79-111.htm

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 19, 12:23*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 4/18/2011 10:48 PM, Ron wrote:

Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

i think the key here is "someone gave me".

Yeah, my father that just passed away and bought it brand
new......asshole!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 19, 1:02*am, Erik wrote:
In article
,

*Ron wrote:
Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Just guessing here... is 72° the 'target', or desired temperature, as
opposed to the current actual ambient room temperature?

Erik

It says in the manual that I have, that the room temp can be set to -/
+ 3 degrees. But, that doesn't answer my question. Does it need to be
wired in order for it to show the actual room temp? Like I said, with
the batteries only, it is stuck on 72 degrees. I don't want to waste
my time installing it if the room temp is supposed to be displayed by
the batteries only.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:48:27 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing

Perhaps that number is on the sheet of clear vinyl that protects the
screen from being scratched.

have to be wired to show the correct temp?

My 30 y.o. semi-digitial set-back thermostat just uses the battery to
power the clock. Everything else comes from the furnace.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing

Perhaps that number is on the sheet of clear vinyl that protects the
screen from being scratched.

Oh man-- I did that once. I don't even remember what the gadget
was--- I remember a lot of cussing, head scratching-- and then a lot
more cussing.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Did you peel off that little plastic "display cover" on the display?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 1:50*am, Ron wrote:
On Apr 19, 1:02*am, Erik wrote:

In article
,

*Ron wrote:
Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Just guessing here... is 72° the 'target', or desired temperature, as
opposed to the current actual ambient room temperature?

Erik

It says in the manual that I have, that the room temp can be set to -/
+ 3 degrees. But, that doesn't answer my question. Does it need to be
wired in order for it to show the actual room temp? Like I said, with
the batteries only, it is stuck on 72 degrees. I don't want to waste
my time installing it if the room temp is supposed to be displayed by
the batteries only.- Hide quoted text -

All the digital battery operated ones I've ever seen only need the
batteries to run all the display functions. Can't imagine why it
would need to be connected. The rest of the process is just
closing one of several relays to connect the wires to the furnace
for heat, cool, fan, etc.

Even they are set in the off position, ie no heat, cool, then
all the ones I've seen display the room temp.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 19, 2:16*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 19, 1:50*am, Ron wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:02*am, Erik wrote:

In article
,

*Ron wrote:
[...]

I guess it's defective. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:50:04 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:02Â*am, Erik wrote:
In article
,

Â*Ron wrote:
[...]

Don't know FOR SURE on that thermostat, but for MANY the battery
just holds the settings and runs the LCD display, while the actual
"thermostat" runs off the controll transformer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 19, 7:43*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:50:04 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:02*am, Erik wrote:
In article
,

*Ron wrote:
[...]

Well, I would hook it up and see, but the wires coming out of the wall
are VERY short. Changing out my thermostat is a real PITA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Ron wrote:

I guess it's defective. Thanks.

I'll second Erik's question: Does the 72 indicate SET POINT, or PROCESS
VALUE (i.e. current temperature)? You may have to push some buttons. I
doubt the thing is defective out of the box.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 20, 6:01*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Ron wrote:

*I guess it's defective. Thanks.

I'll second Erik's question: Does the 72 indicate SET POINT, or PROCESS
VALUE (i.e. current temperature)? You may have to push some buttons. I
doubt the thing is defective out of the box.

The 72 is the room temp. When I put batteries in it I can adjust the
desired temp. The only thing I can do to get it off of 72 degrees is
go into setup mode and I can change the room temp to +/- 3 degrees. I
see nothing in the manual about the room temp reading other than that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:30:26 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Apr 19, 7:43*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:50:04 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:02*am, Erik wrote:
In article
,

*Ron wrote:
[...]

I thought you intended to do it regardless.

Solder 2 or 3 inches of anything, 4-conductor phone line?, onto what's
there, and slide heat-shring tubbing over each splice, warm with a
kitchen match until it shrinks. IF it's too long now, push part back
into the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

On Apr 19, 7:43 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:50:04 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:02 am, Erik wrote:
In article
,

Ron wrote:
[...]

I have a roll of thermostat wire that a AC guy gave to me, but if this
thing doesn't work, I don't wanna waste all of that time. I have a
manual Honeywell thermostat that works perfectly fine. Just would have
liked a digital since it was free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have any way to feed it 24 V AC? To terminals R and C? You
don't need to hook it up to the furnace to check it, just feed it some
jolts. Maybe a small appliance power supply or charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 18:17:50 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Do you have any way to feed it 24 V AC? To terminals R and C? You
don't need to hook it up to the furnace to check it, just feed it some
jolts. Maybe a small appliance power supply or charger.

Good idea, or the 24 volts at the furnace itself, or the 24 volts at
the thermostat.

That's why I always recommend people make or buy a bag of wires with
alligator clips on both ends. They used to come in lightweight and
heavyweight, but now Radio Shack has only heavy weight, 6 inches, 10
for 4 dollars or so. Takes 2 seconds to clip one end to the
thermostat wire and the other to the thermostat screw, times 2 = 4
seconds.

I once used a 30-inch long wire with alligator clips at each end to
bypass some problem in my car's ignition harness. Found the wire in
the harness just before it went into the firewall, and ran the other
end of the jumper wire to the coil. I meant to find the break and fix
it but that looked like it would be hard, so I just drove that way for
2 more years until I removed my wire and junked the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm betting 99.9% chance the thermostat is bad. I've never seen
one that powers up on batteries, that then:

displays room temp,
displays set temp which he says he can change
yet, the room temp will not change from 72.

unless he has a sticker with 72 on it, I don't see how it can be
anything other than bad. Still, I would put 24V on it just for the
hell of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2011 10:48 PM, Ron wrote:
Someone gave me a unused White-Rodgers digital non-programmable heat
pump thermostat - 70 series model number 1F79-111.

I put some batteries in this thing to today just to check out the LCD
screen, and the temp reading is stuck on 72 degrees. Does this thing
have to be wired to show the correct temp?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...445S169967202P

Make sure there is no clear protective film with temperature printed on
it stuck over the LCD display. It happens! I got a call to fix an AC
that had no air flow after the customer had replaced the air filter. He
failed to remove the plastic wrapper from the new filter. In my best
loud obnoxious Judy Tenuta voice: "IT CAN HAPPEN!" ^_^

TDD

New Honeywell digital thermostat LSMFT Home Repair 12 January 4th 11 06:44 PM
Yet another digital thermostat question! AB Home Repair 4 October 28th 06 06:53 AM
Problem with digital thermostat [email protected] Home Repair 6 March 20th 06 06:09 AM
Digital Thermostat john Home Repair 10 March 15th 04 03:18 AM
Digital Thermostat Click Dave Gallant Home Repair 91 December 24th 03 01:51 PM