Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good Mailbox Paint

Evan wrote:

On Apr 16, 6:52*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:04:54 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

The Postmaster General may require the mailbox only be X inches from
the shoulder of the road. Within batting range.

ROFL... Bull****... Your local district postmaster may have imposed
that requirement, but it is NOT a national standard...

This is the national standard for rural Delivery-
http://www.usps.com/receive/mailboxstandards.htm

"Your mailbox should be set back 6 to 8 inches from the front face of
the curb or road edge to the mailbox door."

Suburbs around my parts are filled with streets where the mailboxes
are attached to the house next to the front door...

You might notice that suburbs are different than rural. I'm in the
burbs-- but my mail is 'rural delivery'.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , George
wrote:

On 4/16/2011 10:32 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

I really wish that people here would be able to read and understand
administrative law... Within the same set of standards which describe
where curbside boxes must be located is described a standard for
door slot dimensions and locations such slots can be installed...

Gee, I guess that means that WOW! curbside boxes are not absolutely
required and there is a way in which you can apply for door slot
service
or to have your external mailbox located adjacent to your door... :-O

Imagine that...

~~ Evan

You can google for "definition of rural" if you don't quite understand
the concept, Evan. Not everyone lives in high rise apartments or tract
homes in the burbs.

There is no ****ing way a rural postal carrier is delivering mail to
anyone's ****ing door.

Are you 12?

No. I didn't cuss when I was 12. Saying "****" is for grownups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

walter wrote the following:
After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one
of those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...2884670&sr=8-1

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind
of paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind
of epoxy?

Thanks

Walter

It's powder coated, so any exterior enamel can be used. You could have
bought it in Bronze or Sand from the Amazon site, if you had clicked on
the drop down Color Name box.
Other colors, but not available on the Amazon site, are Pearl Grey, and
White.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 12:42 am, Steve Barker wrote:

No, rural is like where i live. ONE house every mile or half mile. 20
per mile. HELL, that's the city!

Andy comments:

Absolutely !! If you can't practice with your .22 in your back
yard,
there are too many regulations......

If you can't wake up in the morning listening to the owls, you live
in suburbia...

If you've ever mowed your yard and found a truck you thought
had been stolen,.... you probly live in Eureka, Texas...

Andy in Eureka, TExas

Eureka, where all the men meet at the gas station on Saturday
afternoon and listen to NASCAR on the radio.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

stuff snipped

IOW, front door delivery is not an inalienable right, but more a matter
of local tradition and custom.

It's a hell of a convenience for those of us lucky enough to have it. My
mother broke her hip going to the community "birdhouse" mailbox in icy
weather. I once was told I had to abandon my door mail slot and use an
external mailbox because my door slot required opening the screen door. A
large tip at Christmas seems to have solved that problem. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Good paint RickH Home Repair 13 June 24th 10 02:21 AM
Wicks Master Paint - any good? tester UK diy 4 May 3rd 07 12:37 PM
Is Home Depot paint any good? Alex Home Repair 14 August 26th 06 06:23 AM
Peel-A-Way Paint Remover For Latex Paint: Any Good ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 July 16th 06 01:36 AM