DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   removing Delta shower valve without damaging shower body (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/321601-removing-delta-shower-valve-without-damaging-shower-body.html)

Mikepier April 11th 11 04:39 PM

removing Delta shower valve without damaging shower body

I have a Delta single lever shower faucet that is about 15 years old.
Last time I changed a leaky valve and while removing the retainer
ring, I twisted the shower body a little. Fortunately it did not
break, but now I need to remove it again, and this time it does not
want to budge. I really do not want to replace the whole shower body.
Any tips on how I can take the retainer ring off?

Tony Miklos[_2_] April 11th 11 07:13 PM

On 4/11/2011 11:39 AM, Mikepier wrote:
I have a Delta single lever shower faucet that is about 15 years old.
Last time I changed a leaky valve and while removing the retainer
ring, I twisted the shower body a little. Fortunately it did not
break, but now I need to remove it again, and this time it does not
want to budge. I really do not want to replace the whole shower body.
Any tips on how I can take the retainer ring off?

What kind of retaining ring does it have? Do you have the proper tool?
Can you post a link to a parts diagram?

Mikepier April 12th 11 11:45 AM

removing Delta shower valve without damaging shower body

What kind of retaining ring does it have? *Do you have the proper tool?
* Can you post a link to a parts diagram?

Here's a pic. Ironicallly this link talks about how to be careful not
to damage the shower body.

http://www.masterplumber.net/delta/d...age/image7.htm

Tony Miklos[_2_] April 12th 11 04:18 PM

On 4/12/2011 6:45 AM, Mikepier wrote:

What kind of retaining ring does it have? Do you have the proper tool?
Can you post a link to a parts diagram?

Here's a pic. Ironicallly this link talks about how to be careful not
to damage the shower body.

http://www.masterplumber.net/delta/d...age/image7.htm

Can you use something like a pipe wrench with rubber pads to hold the
shower body?

Mikepier April 13th 11 01:06 AM

On Apr 12, 11:18*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 4/12/2011 6:45 AM, Mikepier wrote:

What kind of retaining ring does it have? *Do you have the proper tool?
* *Can you post a link to a parts diagram?

Here's a pic. Ironicallly this link talks about how to be careful not
to damage the shower body.

http://www.masterplumber.net/delta/d...age/image7.htm

Can you use something like a pipe wrench with rubber pads to hold the
shower body?

Its not the shower body that breaks, its the guts inside the shower
body, and that cannot be held with a wrench