Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moulding/Trim Question

I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are
called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing
them with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet.

I am at a loss as to whether I should keep the trim white, or just make
it a medium oak color in the kitchen so it matches the bottoms of the
cabinets.

In a way, I think the trim (in the kitchen) will look odd being a medium
oak color because my family room is part of the kitchen area and it will
has white trim now.

Would white trim look bad if my kitchen cabinets are a medium oak color?

Any feedback if greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2011 9:50 PM Kate spake thus:

I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are
called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing
them with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet.

I am at a loss as to whether I should keep the trim white, or just make
it a medium oak color in the kitchen so it matches the bottoms of the
cabinets.

In a way, I think the trim (in the kitchen) will look odd being a medium
oak color because my family room is part of the kitchen area and it will
has white trim now.

Would white trim look bad if my kitchen cabinets are a medium oak color?

Any feedback if greatly appreciated.

Are you really sure you want to base your decision on answers from folks
on an online forum, sight unseen? First of all, it's a pretty subjective
choice, one you'll ultimately have to make yourself. And it's pretty
hard to "see" Opal Oak, "medium cinnamon-oak colored" or any other color
(especially a subtle shade) in a text-based forum.

I'm just sayin' ...

(I do sympathize with you: as a handyman, I'm often asked such questions
("What do you think would look better?"), which I usually try to duck,
explaining that I'm not the one who's gonna have to live with the choice.)

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2011 11:16 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

You have a good point - I am the one who will have to live with it.
I think either way will be OK, but I always like different opinions.
I need to bring in friends, and not online folks who can't see the total
layout.

Thanks for your input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are
called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing
them with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet.

I am at a loss as to whether I should keep the trim white, or just
make it a medium oak color in the kitchen so it matches the bottoms
of the cabinets.

In a way, I think the trim (in the kitchen) will look odd being a
medium oak color because my family room is part of the kitchen area
and it will has white trim now.

Would white trim look bad if my kitchen cabinets are a medium oak
color?
Any feedback if greatly appreciated.

1. You can't go wrong with white. I may not be the best, but it's certainly
not the worst.

2. If you have the skills - or want to gain them - take a picture of the
existing setup. Then manipulate the picture with graphics editing software,
applying the various colors to the target areas. Print each choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 12:50*am, Kate wrote:
I have white trim throughout my home. *My kitchen cabinets are
called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. *I will be replacing
them with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet.

I am at a loss as to whether I should keep the trim white, or just make
it a medium oak color in the kitchen so it matches the bottoms of the
cabinets.

In a way, I think the trim (in the kitchen) will look odd being a medium
oak color because my family room is part of the kitchen area and it will
has white trim now.

Would white trim look bad if my kitchen cabinets are a medium oak color?

Any feedback if greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kate

White trim with wood cabinets is pretty common. I have oak kitchen
cabinets and white trim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

(I do sympathize with you: as a handyman, I'm often asked such questions
("What do you think would look better?"), which I usually try to duck,
explaining that I'm not the one who's gonna have to live with the
choice.)

You have a good point - I am the one who will have to live with it.
I think either way will be OK, but I always like different opinions.
I need to bring in friends, and not online folks who can't see the total
layout.

Thanks for your input.

And it's nice to get trusted opinions that agree with one's own ) I
probably would have trouble deciding, even with good photos of the
rooms...one thought I have is that contrasting trim tends to cut up the
room, rather than blend into a whole. Several of the paint companies
have websites where you can upload pix of a room and play with the
colors in your image to try them out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are
called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing them
with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet.

I am at a loss as to whether I should keep the trim white, or just make it
a medium oak color in the kitchen so it matches the bottoms of the
cabinets.

In a way, I think the trim (in the kitchen) will look odd being a medium
oak color because my family room is part of the kitchen area and it will
has white trim now.

Would white trim look bad if my kitchen cabinets are a medium oak color?

Any feedback if greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kate

Define "bad".

Are you building this for yourself, or for the satisfaction of friends,
neighbors, and your lovely in-laws?

Some people like white trim with wood colored cabinets. Others don't. It's
all up to you. YOU go find some at an interior decorator shop or HD, and
look at it and see if it looks "bad" to YOU. Remember, like bathroom
floors, spend a little more because you're going to be looking at it for a
long long time.

"Bad" to me would be some combinations of puce, lime, and yellow with a
little industrial red and blue thrown in for effect.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have a good point - I am the one who will have to live with it.
I think either way will be OK, but I always like different opinions.
I need to bring in friends, and not online folks who can't see the total
layout.

Thanks for your input.

And remember that friends always don't have a designer background. My wife
used to be in charge of interiors at the old Sands Hotel in Las Vegas. She
can explain that "you need to have light/dark colors in this situation, need
to have lateral lines to accentuate the room, need to use patterns to break
up the angularity", things like that I have no idea what she's talking
about, and neither would the normal person. I am in my third remodel now in
ten years. At the time, I gripe about changes, and some of her ideas, but
when the job is done, I have to admit that all three have turned out really
nice. We have had builder friends over for dinner, and they ask, "Where did
you get this? or "What gave you this idea?"

Normal people just look at the overall effect, and if it is in their
favorite colors, they like it. Finding someone with a little design
background gives you the in depth answer you are seeking, and most often
than not, there's someone like that at even the Home Depots and Lowe's who
can show you some options you might not have even thought of. There's a
lot more to it than colors.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are
called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing them
with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet.

I am at a loss as to whether I should keep the trim white, or just make it
a medium oak color in the kitchen so it matches the bottoms of the
cabinets.

In a way, I think the trim (in the kitchen) will look odd being a medium
oak color because my family room is part of the kitchen area and it will
has white trim now.

Would white trim look bad if my kitchen cabinets are a medium oak color?

Any feedback if greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kate

Most but not all of the decorators I worked with over the years thought that
trim should be one unified color throughout the home. Exceptions were made
for a man cave paneled study but otherwise they held true to that .

My personal take is do what you want.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2011 8:09 AM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Like you Steve, I don't understand all the jargon either. But, I do
very well with interior decorating and help a lot of my friends.
For some reason, this one has me stumped.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2011 4:41 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

I like your idea. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2011 4:49 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Apr 4, 12:50 am, wrote:
I have white trim throughout my home. My kitchen cabinets are
called Opal Oak which is a pinkish white color. I will be replacing
them with a medium cinnamon-oak colored cabinet.

I am at a loss as to whether I should keep the trim white, or just make
it a medium oak color in the kitchen so it matches the bottoms of the
cabinets.

In a way, I think the trim (in the kitchen) will look odd being a medium
oak color because my family room is part of the kitchen area and it will
has white trim now.

Would white trim look bad if my kitchen cabinets are a medium oak color?

Any feedback if greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kate

White trim with wood cabinets is pretty common. I have oak kitchen
cabinets and white trim.

Ah, just what I was looking for. I am leaning towards keeping them
white. This way, the entire house would still have the same trim color.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2011 8:02 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Steve. I like your idea of visiting some of the cabinet stores, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2011 3:20 PM, Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I am leaning towards keeping the white trim. I have medium oak vanities
in my bathrooms and they have a white trim around the bottoms.
I guess I never noticed it before because you don't see the trim unless
you are in the bathtub or shower. It really does look nice.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

There are 12,415 shades of white. Which one you gonna choose? I ain't no
interior designer, but maybe get one that's subtly tinted to the color
of the cabinets?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2011 7:27 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I believe the trim color I have now is a very subtle white. I will keep
that color so that the trim in the entire house still matches.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote

Like you Steve, I don't understand all the jargon either. But, I do very
well with interior decorating and help a lot of my friends.
For some reason, this one has me stumped.

Thanks.

Then listen to your gut.

Steve

Base moulding and trim [email protected] Home Ownership 0 November 15th 06 07:26 PM
A Question About Moulding Arthur Shapiro Home Ownership 1 October 4th 06 06:52 PM
Question about Crown Moulding Cheri Home Repair 7 August 28th 06 04:58 AM
Crown moulding question MG Home Repair 2 October 19th 05 12:03 PM
floor moulding door trim [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 16th 05 03:14 AM