Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood doors repair

I belong to a little brick bungalow in a midwest US city,
built in 1954, detached frame garage.

Wood doors are all of wood segments commonly joined by woodwork that
looks something like tongue-in-groove flooring. Replacing the doors is
probably impractical.

On the garage door, some of the tongues are working loose making one end
of the door sag. I had to plane the knob end of the door to keep it from
scraping the floor. Worked for a while, now it scrapes again.

I have an old reconditioned wood storm door in the back of the house.
Twice, a freak wind (50+ mph) ripped the door out of my hand and slammed
it against the masonry, breaking the tongue at the top. The first time I
reinforced the joint with 1/4" plexiglass plates drilled for heavy wood
screws. The second time (today) it broke both plates.

Does anybody know of any tricks/techniques for reinforcing/repairing such
doors? If necessary I guess I'll try to find something like aluminum plates
maybe 3 x 6 " that I could drill like I did the pglass, but I'd sho'ly, sho'ly
like to find something more durable and less work (spec'ing, drilling, etc).

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 8:41*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
I belong to a little brick bungalow in a midwest US city,
built in 1954, detached frame garage.

Wood doors are all of wood segments commonly joined by woodwork that
looks something like tongue-in-groove flooring. Replacing the doors is
probably impractical.

On the garage door, some of the tongues are working loose making one end
of the door sag. I had to plane the knob end of the door to keep it from
scraping the floor. Worked for a while, now it scrapes again.

As already posted, do the Z-thing, or use some cable with a turnbuckle
from the top hinge corner to the bottom opposite corner. That will
allow you to adjust the door.

I have an old reconditioned wood storm door in the back of the house.
Twice, a freak wind (50+ mph) ripped the door out of my hand and slammed
it against the masonry, breaking the tongue at the top. The first time I
reinforced the joint with 1/4" plexiglass plates drilled for heavy wood
screws. The second time (today) it broke both plates. *

Does anybody know of any tricks/techniques for reinforcing/repairing such
doors? If necessary I guess I'll try to find something like aluminum plates
maybe 3 x 6 " that I could drill like I did the pglass, but I'd sho'ly, sho'ly
like to find something more durable and less work (spec'ing, drilling, etc).

Plexiglas, aka plain old vanilla acrylic, is terrible for such an
application. Use the metal corner brackets or straps to reinforce
such a joint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 08:51:30 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:

Plexiglas, aka plain old vanilla acrylic, is terrible for such an
application.

True, but it worked OK until a freak 50+mph wind ripped it.

Use the metal corner brackets or straps to reinforce
such a joint.

Sorry I neglected to mention both doors have windows, so
Z is a no-go.

I'm having trouble finding straps about 3" wide. Seen any?

Thx,