Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wheat straw has white growth, bad for new grass ?

i have some wheat straw i planed to cover a large patch of bare dirt
that I prepped, spread new seed and starter fertilizer.

The wheat straw was very damp and had some white fuzzy growth in it
?? (mildew/mold/fungus) ??

Will this wheat straw white growth be bad/harmful cover for the grass
seed ?

Thanks for any helpful replies,

robb

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

On 4/3/2011 5:41 PM, robb wrote:
i have some wheat straw i planed to cover a large patch of bare dirt
that I prepped, spread new seed and starter fertilizer.

The wheat straw was very damp and had some white fuzzy growth in it
??

--
Thanks dpb,

I got the wheat straw from H.D.
Do you know what the powdery white fluffy stuff is ? It looks menacing
?

Does it matter what kind of seed or fertilizer i use ?
I used scotts/rebel fescue - shade tolerant varieties + annual rye +
scotts starter fertilizer

i know some seed says it has fungicide on the seed (ie. pennington)
Thanks again for the reply.
robb

Manual wheat grinder and well pump recommendation Zootal[_7_] Home Repair 7 January 22nd 11 04:03 PM
Wheat board Ellestad Woodworking 5 December 24th 07 11:08 PM
Protecting brick driveway from moss/grass growth AMO UK diy 7 April 25th 06 05:26 PM
Straw bale construction Asher Hoskins UK diy 144 June 13th 05 05:49 PM