Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 4 cycle trimmer recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2011 11:07 AM, Andy wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/faqs/t...-cycle-engines

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

4 cycle engines are double the weight for the same horsepower or
something like that, maybe triple. That's why they use 2 cycle engines
on hand held devices.

--
All is as it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 09:07:52 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

More maintenance (you have to change the oil) but I wouldn't have 2-cycle
tools anymore. I hated them when I did have them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 11:24*am, JimT wrote:
On 4/2/2011 11:07 AM, Andy wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/faqs/t...-cycle-engines

Jim

Thanks for the info.

With a 4 stroke having more parts to break and being heavier, I will
go with a 2 stroke.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 12:14:12 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

On Apr 2, 11:24Â*am, JimT wrote:
On 4/2/2011 11:07 AM, Andy wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/faqs/t...-cycle-engines

Jim

Thanks for the info.

With a 4 stroke having more parts to break and being heavier, I will
go with a 2 stroke.

Andy

I've been considering getting myself a new trimmer as my old one is
getting harder to start by the year, and has been difficult since day
one. The carb heas been rebuilt about every 2 years and I always use
fresh gas.

The Ryobi 4 stroke really has my attention. 2 stroke engines and I do
not have a good long-term relationship, while I have 4 strokes that
are half as old as I am that just keep going, and going, and going.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

Well, you probably have advice both ways. I have had a small engine, mower,
lawn equipment repair business for over 45 years. I certainly do NOT
suggest a 4 stroke small engine. However, you must take care of a 2 cycle
engine more carefully. Make sure you have the proper mixture of the right
oil and the right gas. (The right gas means ZERO ethanol - thank obama for
the 15 % crap).

It also depends on what engine you purchase. Most, or at least many
trimmers and other equipment like blowers, etc, use bad engines. Most
engines have only ONE main bearing. These brands include Weed Eater,
Home-Lite, John Deer, and many others. The only dual bearing (a bearing at
each end of the crank shaft) trimmers are ECHO and Stilll. All the rest
have only one main bearing and have a warranty, which I have never seen
honored, of 1000 hours. I am not in business in any way, but for my
money, I buy Echo. I will NEVER buy a trimmer with a curved snout at the
head. Look at the starter. In some equipment, the starter pull rope is
below the engine. Look at how hard it is to change the starter mechanism,
which is one of the main problems with trimmers. Then look at an ECHO. The
starter is on the back of the engine and you can change it yourself if you
have any moxie at all. Look at the carb, look at the bearings, and don't
buy a throw-a-way trimmer with a curved shaft. Buy an Echo - best buy for
your money.

Like I said, I don't make a cent off of lawn equipment anymore, I'm just
giving you my best advice after years in the business.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2011 11:07 AM, Andy wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

Stihl. really the only choice. I've had dealings with 6 of them and
own one myself. FS110. Will run twice as long on the same amount of
fuel, and much quieter. Only a few ounces heavier.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2011 1:03 PM, LSMFT wrote:
Andy wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

4 cycle engines are double the weight for the same horsepower or
something like that, maybe triple. That's why they use 2 cycle engines
on hand held devices.

only a few ounces difference in the real world. As opposed to your
fantasy land.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:07:52 -0700, Andy wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

I don't recommend 4 stroke for any tool powered by a small engine.
Supplied with a fresh oil/gas mix a 2 stroke life expectancy is measured
in decades. I own Echo brand lawn tools some going back 15 or more years
that have not had as much as a spark plug change. Oil and gas isn't hard
to mix. I'm using a synthetic oil at 100:1 ratio for all my 2 stroke
small engines regardless of their ratio requirements based on non-
synthetic oil. They vary from 32:1 to 50:1. Most problems with small
engine tools are carburetor oriented. If you keep the gas fresh and
use a synthetic oil that contains a stabilizer like Stihl's, you won't
have any problems if you buy a quality built tool like an Echo or a Stihl.

the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed fuel.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in message
. ..

suggest a 4 stroke small engine. However, you must take care of a 2
cycle

engine more carefully. Make sure you have the proper mixture of the right
oil and the right gas. (The right gas means ZERO ethanol - thank obama
for the 15 % crap).

Sometimes it is hard to tell if you are getting that crap mix. I think that
in North Carolina they can mix in so much ethanol without telling at the
pumps. Maybe 5 ot 10 percent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 17:13:47 -0500, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact
wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

Well, you probably have advice both ways. I have had a small engine, mower,
lawn equipment repair business for over 45 years. I certainly do NOT
suggest a 4 stroke small engine. However, you must take care of a 2 cycle
engine more carefully. Make sure you have the proper mixture of the right
oil and the right gas. (The right gas means ZERO ethanol - thank obama for
the 15 % crap).

Thank OBAMA? That crap was in the ppeline long before Obama was on the
national political scene, and I'm sure his influence in Chicago had
nothing to do with it.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:18:34 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
[...]

How the heck do they have them set up? Do they run the intake through
the crankcase before it gets to the intake valve?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed fuel.

I have a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer and it has a separate oil
container (no mixing).

It is quieter and smokes less, but the difference on noise is not that
much (I still wear ear muffs when I operate it).

This is my first (and probably last) gas-trimmer so I can't make
comparisons with two-stroke models. I can only say that I despise this
unit. Heavy, loud, hard to control. I much prefered dealing with a cord
frankly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:
the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed
fuel.

I have a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer and it has a separate oil
container (no mixing).

It is quieter and smokes less, but the difference on noise is not that
much (I still wear ear muffs when I operate it).

This is my first (and probably last) gas-trimmer so I can't make
comparisons with two-stroke models. I can only say that I despise this
unit. Heavy, loud, hard to control. I much prefered dealing with a cord
frankly.

Electric is fine for a small area, but I have over an acre and would have
to have close to 300 feet of extension.

As far as a 4 stroke smoking less than a 2 stroke. A 2 stroke should not
smoke if the ratio of oil to gas, and the correct oil is used.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
[...]

more info he

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS110R.html

That is not a 4 stroke engine. It is a 2 stroke engine with transfer
ports.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:31:18 +0000 (UTC), Rick Brandt
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed fuel.

I have a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer and it has a separate oil
container (no mixing).

It is quieter and smokes less, but the difference on noise is not that
much (I still wear ear muffs when I operate it).

This is my first (and probably last) gas-trimmer so I can't make
comparisons with two-stroke models. I can only say that I despise this
unit. Heavy, loud, hard to control. I much prefered dealing with a cord
frankly.

I have a TroyBilt, with a few of the attachments, and rather like it. I've
had two-cycle and corded trimmers before and have ended up pitching them after
a season or two. I hated them. This thing works really well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimT" wrote in message
net...

wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed

fuel.

I have a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer and it has a separate oil
container (no mixing).

It is quieter and smokes less, but the difference on noise is not that
much (I still wear ear muffs when I operate it).

This is my first (and probably last) gas-trimmer so I can't make
comparisons with two-stroke models. I can only say that I despise this
unit. Heavy, loud, hard to control. I much prefered dealing with a cord
frankly.

I have a TroyBilt, with a few of the attachments, and rather like it.

I've
had two-cycle and corded trimmers before and have ended up pitching them

after
a season or two. I hated them. This thing works really well.

Has anyone tried a cordless trimmer? I have a small yard and only need a
trimmer for the front yard. I'm considering giving a cordless a try.

After letting a lawn service doing my yard for eight years, I am going to do
it myself again. I bought a Toro cordless and it worked well enough for my
small yard. Regrettably, after being discharge for a few (well 8)years, the
stinking NiCad batteries will not recharge. I am going to see if I can
replace them with NiMH cells. If I can't I'd be certain to look for a unit
with NiMH cells or LiON cells and not NiCads. My Black and Decker cordless
lawnmower took a charge after nearly 8 years and performed flawlessly.
Though I can't say for sure, I believe the B&D uses sealed 12V lead gel
cells.

So the answer is yes, they work quite well - trimming's not a heavy
horsepower activity - but you may experience battery issues as I have. If
you're interesting I'll pull the Toro specs from the nameplate. It's
sitting on the kitchen floor recharging. It spins the head slowly, so I am
going to try some discharge/recharge cycling before I gut the SOB. It only
saw two seasons of use before I switched to a lawn service. Did I tell you
I hate NiCad cells? (-: Polarity reversing, anemic, dendrite-growing crap.

Bring on the pain, NiCad lovers!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 12:07*pm, Andy wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for a 4 cycle trimmer.

Do the engines last much longer and less maintenance than the 2 cycle
one?

Thanks.

Briggs and Stratton Sucks. American made garbage is made by slaves
ruled by blood thirsty religious plutocrats most time spent on the
golf courses. Death and destruction to the department of justice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the input. I'll see what type of batteries are available here.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Rick Brandt wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed fuel.

I have a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer and it has a separate oil
container (no mixing).

It is quieter and smokes less, but the difference on noise is not that
much (I still wear ear muffs when I operate it).

This is my first (and probably last) gas-trimmer so I can't make
comparisons with two-stroke models. I can only say that I despise this
unit. Heavy, loud, hard to control. I much prefered dealing with a cord
frankly.

The problems with my Troy-Bilt 4-cycle have little to do with the
number of strokes. Mostly driveline related. The clutch drum reamed
out. An impossible to replace compressed ring on the upper upper
driveline cames loose and now the driveline falls out the end of the shaft.
The EZ-Link receiver at the end of the upper shaft keeps loosening up.
The shaft that the pull rope rides around, which is an integral part of
red outer housing, broke (then melted). Other than that, it's a fine,
fine machine.

In contrast to my 2-cycle Stihl, the 4-cycle isn't necessarily quieter,
but the sound is a lower pitch which many people might be less irritating.
The 4-cycle has a better torque curve which helps will non-string
attachments like a cultivator. The Stihl has a nice long shaft, which
turns out to be very helpful.

To jump on the "has anyone ever tried" bandwagon,
Has anyone ever tried a propane powered trimmer?
One appeared at a local big box a few years ago. It uses those
ubiquitous disposable 16 oz cylinders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimT" wrote in message
stuff snipped
[...]

Well, with a little egg on my face I have to report that when I opened the
unit up to replace the batteries I discovered a lead acid cell, not NiCads.
Oddest one I've ever seen with rounded corners, recessed contacts (bad idea,
VERY hard to clean) and 6VDC/9.5Ah rating. Showed 5.4 volts until a load
was connnected, then dropped back to the millivolt range.

Cost of replacement battery and shipping is more than the cost of a new
trimmer. In dusting it off and setting it up I realized what I really
disliked about the trimmer: it's too short. I am 6'0" and I had to stoop
to use it. I don't know whether newer models have an adjustable length, but
I urge you to hold it and determine whether it's long enough to use
comfortably. That's what I'm going to make sure of when I pick up a
replacement today.

Cordless is really the way to go with a small yard. While I've learned how
to do the "don't mow the cord" dance with corded equipment (mostly - I still
chop the hedge trimmer cord on a regular basis - have had to patch it back
together three times. I love my cordless B&D mower - about the only B&D
tool that I bought that was worth a damn. Quite, competent, mulches or uses
a bag. Very quiet and unless I let the grass get way too high, does my
front and back lawn on a single charge.

I'm still somewhat in shock to have discovered that it ran off a lead acid
battery. If it had a 12VDC motor I would have slapped on a jury-rigged gel
cell, but I've reached a point where I won't bother repairing something
that's got a fatal flaw which in this case was being to short to use without
stooping. I've already retrieved the case from the trash once and thrown it
out again. I kept thinking - what a nice red plastic case. I could use it
to build something. Yeah, yeah. I looked around at all the junk in the
basement I am holding onto for that mythical day when I "settle all family
business" and repair or somehow reclaim all the "not quite completely dead"
stuff in boxes on the shelves.

One other thing I will check for is a battery compartment door - I've
started seeing those on cordless vacs. It was preposterous to have to
disassemble the whole damn thing when all I really wanted was to swap
batteries. I'll report back with any information concerning a replacement.

Sorry about the bum steer on battery types. I've never seen a lead acid
battery in a tool like that before.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2011 2:20 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:33:41 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

wrote:

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
[...]

Well excuse me. It takes 4 (four) strokes to complete a cycle. AND it
has push rods, rocker arms and valves. Call it what you want.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2011 2:20 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:33:41 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

wrote:

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
[...]

Well please accept my apologies. APPARENTLY, they've (without my
permission G ) quit using the 4-mix engines on the string trimmers.
You now have to go to the brush cutters or the KOMBI system to get the
4-mix. I've got a FS-110 with the 4-mix myself and so do both my sons.
I rekon they discontinued those.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:36:11 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/3/2011 2:20 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:33:41 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

wrote:

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
[...]

No, the information you pointed me to was about an engine with "four
transfer ports" THAT is not a 4 stroke engine. The one you have may
well be. Now it is possible their "low emission" engine IS a f stroke,
but nowhere does it differentiate and/or say so - and IF yiours is a 4
stroke, I very much doubt it uses pre-mixed fuel..

The info you pointed me to says nothing about the fuel used either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:52:04 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/3/2011 2:20 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:33:41 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

wrote:

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
[...]

After doing a search on "4 mix" I found info on the engine. It has
the advantages of a 4 stroke except it still has part of the
disadvantage of the 2 stroke - higher than ideal emissions. Yes, lower
than a 2 stroke because it does not depend on purging mixture to run -
so at lower power settings it is not pumping raw fuel through - does
it meet C.A.R.B. requirements?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2011 6:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:52:04 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/3/2011 2:20 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:33:41 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

wrote:

On 4/2/2011 1:18 PM, A. Baum wrote:
[...]

yep.

http://www.stihlusa.com/whatsnew/news_fourmix.html

--
Steve Barker

Professional CNC machine -- meaning of CYCLE START and CYCLE STOP Ignoramus18915 Metalworking 16 August 2nd 10 02:42 PM
Sharpening a hedge trimmer: recommendations? Another John UK diy 8 July 26th 10 09:07 PM
Two-cycle oil in four-cycle snowblower! Help ... [email protected] Home Repair 12 January 10th 09 04:10 AM
MITER TRIMMER Nicky Woodworking 0 January 14th 07 08:02 PM
2 cycle oil in 4 cycle engine [email protected] Home Ownership 4 April 24th 05 04:18 PM