DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Becoming a Home Inspector (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/321116-becoming-home-inspector.html)

jtpr March 31st 11 10:10 PM

Becoming a Home Inspector

I am approaching 60 (and in great shape) and beginning to look at some
alternative ways to earn some income. Having owned quite a few homes
and built one, the thought of becoming a home inspector (NH, ME) has
crossed my mind. It seems like something I would enjoy as I like
looking at the underpinnings of a property and enjoy people in
general. I have a pretty good network of builders and realtors in my
area as well.

Anyway, like anything else, I'm sure there are some significant
downsides to it as well. If anybody does this for a living and can
offer some advice other then IHMHUMA. That would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

Colbyt April 1st 11 12:54 AM

Becoming a Home Inspector

"jtpr" wrote in message
I am approaching 60 (and in great shape) and beginning to look at some
alternative ways to earn some income. Having owned quite a few homes
and built one, the thought of becoming a home inspector (NH, ME) has
crossed my mind. It seems like something I would enjoy as I like
looking at the underpinnings of a property and enjoy people in
general. I have a pretty good network of builders and realtors in my
area as well.

Anyway, like anything else, I'm sure there are some significant
downsides to it as well. If anybody does this for a living and can
offer some advice other then IHMHUMA. That would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

Here and in many locations it is now a licensed activity. Check the laws
for your area of interest.

Colbyt

aemeijers April 1st 11 02:41 AM

Becoming a Home Inspector

On 3/31/2011 5:10 PM, jtpr wrote:
(snip) IHMHUMA. That would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

???? Explain the acronym, please. Never read it before, and can't find it.

--
aem sends, curious....

[email protected] April 1st 11 03:37 AM

Becoming a Home Inspector

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:30:58 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:10:01 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

I am approaching 60 (and in great shape) and beginning to look at some
alternative ways to earn some income. Having owned quite a few homes
and built one, the thought of becoming a home inspector (NH, ME) has
crossed my mind. It seems like something I would enjoy as I like
looking at the underpinnings of a property and enjoy people in
general. I have a pretty good network of builders and realtors in my
area as well.

Anyway, like anything else, I'm sure there are some significant
downsides to it as well. If anybody does this for a living and can
offer some advice other then IHMHUMA. That would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

A few years ago you just needed a flashlight and some business cards
but these days states are starting to license HIs.

For good reason. Lots of blind crooks in the business.

harry April 1st 11 09:23 AM

Becoming a Home Inspector

On Mar 31, 10:10*pm, jtpr wrote:
I am approaching 60 (and in great shape) and beginning to look at some
alternative ways to earn some income. *Having owned quite a few homes
and built one, the thought of becoming a home inspector (NH, ME) has
crossed my mind. *It seems like something I would enjoy as I like
looking at the underpinnings of a property and enjoy people in
general. *I have a pretty good network of builders and realtors in my
area as well.

Anyway, like anything else, I'm sure there are some significant
downsides to it as well. *If anybody does this for a living and can
offer some advice other then IHMHUMA. *That would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

Have you any qualifications? If not, forget it.

Stormin Mormon April 1st 11 12:54 PM

Becoming a Home Inspector

I couldn't find it, either. A www.startpage.com search only
shows up forums that miror alt home repair.

I Have My Home University Masters of Arts.

International Human Mongoloid Homeowners Universal Messedup
Association .

Idiots Have More Humor U'dthink Mama Agrees.

International Home Moaners Hardy Union Make Amillionbucks.

IHMHUMA........ IHMHUMA............ IHMHUMA. (old Indian
chant)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Red Green April 1st 11 04:13 PM

Becoming a Home Inspector

jtpr wrote in news:2da09d33-9b1d-4d10-8bd0-85c00d0d2be9
@hd10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I am approaching 60 (and in great shape) and beginning to look at some
alternative ways to earn some income. Having owned quite a few homes
and built one, the thought of becoming a home inspector (NH, ME) has
crossed my mind. It seems like something I would enjoy as I like
looking at the underpinnings of a property and enjoy people in
general. I have a pretty good network of builders and realtors in my
area as well.

Anyway, like anything else, I'm sure there are some significant
downsides to it as well. If anybody does this for a living and can
offer some advice other then IHMHUMA. That would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

Some states require nothing. Others have licensing requirements.
Regardless, remember you can be sued for big bucks for not finding
something. You need insurance. Start Googling. Here's a couple of links.

http://www.ashi.org/customers/state.asp
http://www.nachi.org/
http://www.homeinspector.org/statere...s/default.aspx

ASHI & Nachi are a couple of leaders.

Steve B[_10_] April 1st 11 04:25 PM

Becoming a Home Inspector

"jtpr" wrote in message
I am approaching 60 (and in great shape) and beginning to look at some
alternative ways to earn some income. Having owned quite a few homes
and built one, the thought of becoming a home inspector (NH, ME) has
crossed my mind. It seems like something I would enjoy as I like
looking at the underpinnings of a property and enjoy people in
general. I have a pretty good network of builders and realtors in my
area as well.

Anyway, like anything else, I'm sure there are some significant
downsides to it as well. If anybody does this for a living and can
offer some advice other then IHMHUMA. That would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

I also had interest in this, but in this market, I'm sure that it is like a
lot of the other markets. The good established guys get most of the
existing business, and a lot of the others have gone out of business all
together.

I am in a specialized real estate inspection field, that of homeowner
association reserve study. We do a study that inventories every component
that dues goes towards, and make a 30 year projection as to how much money
should be collected in dues to cover these costs as they come along. Those
are required any time a new subdivision is finished, every five years
afterward, and a yearly minimal inspection. It pays from $40 - $100 an
hour. But, again, there is lots of competition. But, as with the other
inspectors, the best inspectors have kept most of the work, and the
lamebrained lowballers come and go.

As a job, I wouldn't think there are a lot of inspections going on in
today's market, and I believe there are a lot of already licensed inspectors
already out there.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com