Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Berryman's B-12 fuel additive

The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Hmm,
Interesting, wonder what is in it. Tempted to try but I don't want to
jeopardize warranty on my brand new Acura MDX.(less than 2 months)
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 31, 10:23*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Hmm,
Interesting, wonder what is in it. Tempted to try but I don't want to
jeopardize warranty on my brand new Acura MDX.(less than 2 months)

I don't think it will do anything for a new vehicle, it's basically
just a fuel system cleaner. But it could conceivably help out w/
cleaning gunky fuel injectors or other fuel system components in an
old, high-mileage vehicle.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Report back over 10 or more tankfuls. Too many variables since where
you are going, the weather, and even differences in traffic patterns can
make fairly large differences from one tank to another. Sounds
interesting, though.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 3/31/2011 7:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

Most likely it did nothing if it's a fairly new vehicle. You'd have to
check the mpg a lot more than once.

It's basically toluene, acetone, hexanes, and methanol, same as most
fuel system cleaners. The actual ingredients would cause your mpg to go
down, but if something was gunked up it might have helped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2011 10:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG.

Let's assume it does work.

20 gal tank @15.2 = 304 miles
20 gal tank @16.3 = 326 miles

So, 22 extra miles $2.97 + tax.

B12 contains acetone, which may play havoc with plastic parts. You can
Google it.

don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

Cleaning out your injectors or carb may very well improve mileage.

It appears to be a cleaner and that once every now and then is enough. YMMV.

Jeff

It may work for you, also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't waste the three bucks on a new vehicle.
This is supposed to be solvents and gosh knows
what, that cleans dirty fuel injectors. Your new
fuel injectors won't be dirty for a couple years
or more.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmm,
Interesting, wonder what is in it. Tempted to try but I
don't want to
jeopardize warranty on my brand new Acura MDX.(less than 2
months)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll do that. Like you say, many factor can make a small
change, short term.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

Report back over 10 or more tankfuls. Too many variables
since where
you are going, the weather, and even differences in traffic
patterns can
make fairly large differences from one tank to another.
Sounds
interesting, though.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the
ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and
something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll keep notes, for a few tanks full. The truck has 173k
miles on it, so it may well be due for fuel injector
cleaning. And a few other PM repairs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SMS" wrote in message

Most likely it did nothing if it's a fairly new vehicle.
You'd have to
check the mpg a lot more than once.

It's basically toluene, acetone, hexanes, and methanol, same
as most
fuel system cleaners. The actual ingredients would cause
your mpg to go
down, but if something was gunked up it might have helped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

This is also the time of year they reformulate the gasoline for warmer
weather. Winter blended gasoline can *really* hurt your gas mileage.
So your boost in MPG may have been a coincidence.

Need to test again in mid-summer or mid-winter so you'll have the same
gas before and after.

-Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2011 9:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

I've NEVER been a proponent of snake oils in all my 30+ years of being
ASE certified, but it was proven to me AND I proved it to myself that
"RESTORE" oil additive will also raise mileage.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2011 9:23 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Hmm,
Interesting, wonder what is in it. Tempted to try but I don't want to
jeopardize warranty on my brand new Acura MDX.(less than 2 months)

no fluid additive will void a warranty.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2011 10:51 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I'd like to see some documentation (legitimate documentation) that
proves this theory of gasoline being blended different in the winter.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

I'd like to see some documentation (legitimate documentation) that
proves this theory of gasoline being blended different in the winter.

How do you feel about the legitimacy of the EPA...
The difference between conventional summer- and winter-blend gasoline
has to do with the Reid Vapor Pressure of the fuel. RVP relates to the
volatility of a gasoline. The more volatile a gasoline, the more likely
it will evaporate as the temperatures rises; evaporated gasoline
contributes to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. Summer gasoline has a
low RVP and is less likely to evaporate when compared to the high RVP
winter grade. The Environmental Protection Agency says conventional
summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend
gas, which contributes to the summer blend¹s slightly better gas mileage.
http://ask.cars.com/2009/02/whats-th...mmerblend-gaso
line-and-winterblend-gasoline-does-it-affect-my-cars-pe.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ydzj6go

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2011 11:01 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

I'd like to see some documentation (legitimate documentation) that
proves this theory of gasoline being blended different in the winter.

A crash course on seasonal gasoline

....First, one of the biggest differences is the RVP (Reid Vapor
Pressure) of the gasoline. Winter gasoline made for cooler climates
has a higher RVP number- meaning it is more volatile. The higher RVP
number means the gasoline in your tank is under more pressure. This is
why come warmer months, the RVP number must be lower, or the high
pressure could result in the gasoline boiling or evaporating, causing
an increase in air pollution.

Second, winter gasoline contains more butane. Butane doesn't burn as
clean as other "ingredients" in gasoline, but it is far cheaper to mix
into gasoline. With the added butane in winter gasoline, you may
notice that fuel economy suffers until the warmer months, when
refiners cease using as much butane in each gallon. Butane has the
highest vapor pressure of just about any other ingredient, coming in
over 50psi, which is why summer gasoline doesn't use as much. If it
would, the RVP number would be as high as winter gasoline...

Read more at
http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/A-cra...01024-239.aspx

What Is Summer-Blend Gas?
And if it's so clean, why don't we use it year-round?
By Sam Schechner

....Summer-blend gas isn't new. It was first sold in 1995, as required
by the Clean Air Act's 1990 amendments, and the current, even cleaner,
concoction was phased in for the summer of 2000. Since then, there
have been sharp spikes in fuel prices every spring as summer blends
get rolled out. This is not so much because it's expensive to make the
gas—the added cost per gallon is only 1 or 2 cents—but because
refineries generally try to sell every last bit of winter fuel before
mixing in the slightly more expensive summer batch. Sometimes they
draw down the stock too far, creating shortages before the first
deliveries of summer blend enter the supply chain. The return to
normal blends in the fall causes a far less pronounced spike because
the industry, free from summer standards, doesn't bother selling off
the summer gas before mixing in the less pricey stuff.

So why not use the summer blend year-round? The main reason—apart from
the fact that the 1990 law isn't written that way—is that summer-blend
gas doesn't work as well in the winter. Summer blend's low-evaporation
rate makes engines less likely to stall in hot weather but can make
them difficult to start in the cold...

Read more at
http://www.slate.com/id/2098672/

Refining 101: Winter Gasoline

....Winter gasoline blends are phased in as the weather gets cooler.
September 15th is the date of the first increase in RVP, and in some
areas the allowed RVP eventually increases to 15 psi. This has two
implications for gasoline prices every fall.

First, as noted, butane is a cheaper blending component than most of
the other ingredients. That makes fall and winter gasoline cheaper to
produce. But butane is also abundant, so that means that gasoline
supplies effectively increase as the RVP requirement increases. Not
only that, but this all takes place after summer driving season, when
demand typically falls off.

These factors normally combine each year to reduce gasoline prices in
the fall (even in non-election years). The RVP is stepped back down to
summer levels starting in the spring, and this usually causes prices
to increase. But lest you think of buying cheap winter gasoline and
storing it until spring or summer, remember that it will pressure up
as the weather heats up, and the contained butane will start to
vaporize out of the mix.
And that’s why gasoline prices generally fall back in the fall, and
spring forward in the spring.

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/...nter-gasoline/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 3:00*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Never heard of DIESEL ENGINES? At least 50% better mileage over
petrol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jeff Thies wrote:

Let's assume it does work.

20 gal tank @15.2 = 304 miles
20 gal tank @16.3 = 326 miles

So, 22 extra miles $2.97 + tax.

22 miles / 16.3 mpg * $3.50 per gallon = $4.72.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hell Toupee wrote in
:

So why not use the summer blend year-round? The main reason—apart from
the fact that the 1990 law isn't written that way—is that summer-blend
gas doesn't work as well in the winter. Summer blend's low-evaporation
rate makes engines less likely to stall in hot weather but can make
them difficult to start in the cold...

I wonder if that vapor pressure change really matters when most all cars
use multiport fuel injection these days?

Good post,BTW.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:31:53 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Report back over 10 or more tankfuls. Too many variables since where
you are going, the weather, and even differences in traffic patterns can
make fairly large differences from one tank to another. Sounds
interesting, though.

There are at least 12 products (for gasoline) sold under the
Berryman's B12 name - but all but the stabil clone are primarily fuel
sydtem cleaners. My guess is primarily xylene.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My tank is 18, and gas is 3.79, but overall you're very
close. Well done, sir!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Jeff Thies
wrote:

Let's assume it does work.

20 gal tank @15.2 = 304 miles
20 gal tank @16.3 = 326 miles

So, 22 extra miles $2.97 + tax.

22 miles / 16.3 mpg * $3.50 per gallon = $4.72.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote the following:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Hmm,
Interesting, wonder what is in it. Tempted to try but I don't want to
jeopardize warranty on my brand new Acura MDX.(less than 2 months)

The gas mileage on my 1997 Nissan 4x4 pickup 2.4 liter 4 cyl runs
between 17.6 and 18.7 MPG without adding any additives. This is mostly
short hops to the store.
A 1.1 MPG increase after adding an additive would be no proof that it
helped. Now, if my mileage was significantly more, for example 3 or more
GPM, then I could claim a benefit.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:00:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

It definitely does.

I raised the mileage on my almost full 14 gallon gas tank by 2 mpg
after I added a two-gallon bottle of Berryman's B-12.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

You know I meant MPG, right?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Read up,
http://www.toptiergas.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Neat. Where does one find this RESTORE product?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

I've NEVER been a proponent of snake oils in all my 30+
years of being
ASE certified, but it was proven to me AND I proved it to
myself that
"RESTORE" oil additive will also raise mileage.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Read up,
http://www.toptiergas.com/

and
http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/th...ring/19893347/
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 31, 8:02*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Hell Toupee wrote :

So why not use the summer blend year-round? The main reason apart from
the fact that the 1990 law isn't written that way is that summer-blend
gas doesn't work as well in the winter. Summer blend's low-evaporation
rate makes engines less likely to stall in hot weather but can make
them difficult to start in the cold...

I wonder if that vapor pressure change really matters when most all cars
use multiport fuel injection these days?

Pretty much all gas nowadays doesn't act the same as gasoline of the
days of yore did in a carbureted engine anyway.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2011 6:56 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Neat. Where does one find this RESTORE product?

autoparts stores, walmart etc.

http://www.restoreusa.com/Engine_Restorer.html

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't see anything useful at that site. What was I
supposed to see?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"FatterDumber& Happier Moe"
wrote in message

Read up,
http://www.toptiergas.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I didn't see anything useful at that site. What was I
supposed to see?

The auto manufacturers have a higher standard for additives than the
EPA does because of fuel injectors crudding up and intake valve
problems. The Top Tier gas is supposed to help take care of these
problems. Some of the Chevy V8's injectors are particularly bad about
crudding up. Intake valves also have carbon build up on the back side
and that causes problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I didn't see anything useful at that site. What was I
supposed to see?

The auto manufacturers have a higher standard for additives than the
EPA does because of fuel injectors crudding up and intake valve
problems. The Top Tier gas is supposed to help take care of these
problems. Some of the Chevy V8's injectors are particularly bad about
crudding up. Intake valves also have carbon build up on the back side
and that causes problems.

The other side of the coing: The auto manufacturers are promoting the
idea of a voluntary higher standard for gasoline additives so that
when a customer has a warranty complaint, they can claim that he should
have used better gasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 3/31/2011 11:50 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , Jeff wrote:

Let's assume it does work.

20 gal tank @15.2 = 304 miles
20 gal tank @16.3 = 326 miles

So, 22 extra miles $2.97 + tax.

22 miles / 16.3 mpg * $3.50 per gallon = $4.72.

The price per gallon of fuel for one tankful is immaterial.

If the fuel system cleaner did anything at all, it will do it for many
many tankfuls of fuel, you don't add it each time you fill up.

Degloss additive? Al Reid Woodworking 16 October 13th 20 02:37 PM
Berryman's fuel additive (well, it works in metal engines) Stormin Mormon Metalworking 32 April 5th 11 02:34 AM
Fuel leak where line enters fuel tank k-man Home Repair 8 September 25th 08 05:30 PM
Stabil Fuel Additive Jack Home Repair 11 November 27th 05 09:05 PM