Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting a window?

Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the house is
white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. (We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 4:55*pm, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. *Since the outside of the house is
white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. *Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? *Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. *Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) *And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. *(We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,
-T

Rather than paint the window, couldn't you mount an opaque piece of
white cardboard or vinyl INSIDE the window? Easily removable when need
passes.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's a temporary need, corrugated cardboard can be
stapled onto the sash.

Paint on glass, is a PIA to remove. Avoid that idea.

You can staple a bedsheet over the inner window frame, and
then staple black plastic sheeting (from the hardware store)
over the bedsheet.

As the other poster asked, what's the need?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the
house is
white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it
would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no
longer
exists. Is there a particular paint that is easy to get
off? Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. Looks too weird from the
street.
(She has a point.) And wind would cause havoc on it when I
open
up the window. (We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2011 7:55 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the house is white,
I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. (We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,
-T

I put some Gila window film on several uninsulated panes around my front
door to help in heat loss/gain.

http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Default.aspx

Not quite easy to get all bubbles out but does not look bad and does
job. They have different tints and it would be easy to remove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/27/2011 05:12 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As the other poster asked, what's the need?

It is for a proposed home office.

1) wife is *violently* allergic to dust/paper mite dropping

2) Need to be able to damp wipe the window and sill without
getting hopeless polluted with mite s---, oh, ah, sorry,
droppings myself.

3) want to be able to open the window to allow swamp cooler
to blow out in the summer

I like the idea of the film.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/27/2011 05:54 PM, Todd wrote:
On 03/27/2011 05:12 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As the other poster asked, what's the need?

It is for a proposed home office.

1) wife is *violently* allergic to dust/paper mite dropping

2) Need to be able to damp wipe the window and sill without
getting hopeless polluted with mite s---, oh, ah, sorry,
droppings myself.

3) want to be able to open the window to allow swamp cooler
to blow out in the summer

I like the idea of the film.

-T

Curtains and cardboard are a dust allergen nightmare.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/27/2011 05:17 PM, Frank wrote:
I put some Gila window film on several uninsulated panes around my front
door to help in heat loss/gain.

http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Default.aspx

Not quite easy to get all bubbles out but does not look bad and does
job. They have different tints and it would be easy to remove.

Love it. Thank you!

Do you know at night with the lights on in the room, if the "privacy"
file would show an outline of my body's shadow on the film for my
neighbors to laugh their asses off?

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the house is white,
I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. (We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,
-T

I must agree with the others. NO paint.

A cheaper option than then window films might be self adhesive white shelf
paper applied only to the glass. That will be fun to remove but no where as
bad as sun baked paint.

1/4" foam board cut to fit inside the glass area is yet another option
though I suspect it will cost more than the shelf paper.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the house is
white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. (We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,

Spray the window with PAM. Then paint with a latex paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:48:04 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:54:36 -0700, Todd wrote:

I like the idea of the film.

Film is okay. Some cases it will cause the glass to break, voiding the
warranty on the window. Minor details.

If you're worried about it breaking the glass, apply it to a piece of Lexan
and put it in the window.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:45:48 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the house is
white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. (We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,

Spray the window with PAM. Then paint with a latex paint.

I tried that. PAM's boyfriend wouldn't let her come over.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:53:55 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:48:04 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:54:36 -0700, Todd wrote:

I like the idea of the film.

Film is okay. Some cases it will cause the glass to break, voiding the
warranty on the window. Minor details.

If you're worried about it breaking the glass, apply it to a piece of Lexan
and put it in the window.

You don't even need lexan, which is a very strong version of plexiglas
or whatever the generic name is. It's used for football helmets. YOu
can use the weakest and probably the cheapest version of opaque
plastic. Every city has a plastic store, and some sell left over
pieces fwiw from projects they make for customers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 28 Mar 2011 01:28:56 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

Todd wrote in :

On 03/27/2011 05:17 PM, Frank wrote:
I put some Gila window film on several uninsulated panes around my front
door to help in heat loss/gain.

http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Default.aspx

Not quite easy to get all bubbles out but does not look bad and does
job. They have different tints and it would be easy to remove.

Love it. Thank you!

Do you know at night with the lights on in the room, if the "privacy"
file would show an outline of my body's shadow on the film for my
neighbors to laugh their asses off?

-T

You can buy some that looks like stained glass.

You can call it the Cathedral of Todd.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2011 9:06 PM, Todd wrote:
On 03/27/2011 05:17 PM, Frank wrote:
I put some Gila window film on several uninsulated panes around my front
door to help in heat loss/gain.

http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Default.aspx

Not quite easy to get all bubbles out but does not look bad and does
job. They have different tints and it would be easy to remove.

Love it. Thank you!

Do you know at night with the lights on in the room, if the "privacy"
file would show an outline of my body's shadow on the film for my
neighbors to laugh their asses off?

-T

Don't know but suspect it would. Stuff I got was not tinted but does
have a slight silvery look from outside. Inside are small transparent
curtains which probably diffuse internal lights when on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen shelf lining plastic for sale. That might help
opaque the windows. Of course, you've found some film that
should work fine.

And it's a real concern when you're allergic to Chinese
dictators (Mouse See Dung/ Mao Tse Tung).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Todd" wrote in message
On 03/27/2011 05:12 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As the other poster asked, what's the need?

It is for a proposed home office.

1) wife is *violently* allergic to dust/paper mite dropping

2) Need to be able to damp wipe the window and sill without
getting hopeless polluted with mite s---, oh, ah, sorry,
droppings myself.

3) want to be able to open the window to allow swamp cooler
to blow out in the summer

I like the idea of the film.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the house is
white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. (We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

People used to use cake Bon Ami. Doesn't look great.

Yeah, stores used to use it during remodeling so you couldn't see in, but
when wiped off it sure cleaned the glass thoroughly. I used to use it to
clean the inside and out of car windows (in the '50s) after body work and
painting, got all the dirt, grime, smoker's film and paint overspray off the
glass, leaving it crystal clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 4:55*pm, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. *Since the outside of the house is
white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. *Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? *Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. *Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) *And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. *(We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,
-T

Replace temporarily with one- way glass (as in cop flix interrogation
room). You can see out; nabes can't see in. Doesn't look un-natural.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/27/2011 11:08 PM, mm wrote:
You can buy some that looks like stained glass.

You can call it the Cathedral of Todd.

Has a nice ring to it. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Todd" wrote in message ...

Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. Since the outside of the house is white,
I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

Opaque as in no light gets through? Or just so people can't see what is in
the room? If the latter, static-cling decorative films work quite well.

http://www.continentalwindowfashions...w-Films_4.html

http://windowfilmworld.com/frosted-p...indow-film.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:09:03 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Mar 27, 4:55*pm, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I need to opaque out a windows. *Since the outside of the house is
white, I was thinking of painting the window white so it would not
look weird from the street.

My big issue is how to clean off the paint when the need no longer
exists. *Is there a particular paint that is easy to get off? *Or
is there a better way to temporarily opaque a window?

The wife already ruled out foil. *Looks too weird from the street.
(She has a point.) *And wind would cause havoc on it when I open
up the window. *(We have 30 to 60 mph winds out here.)

Many thanks,
-T

Replace temporarily with one- way glass (as in cop flix interrogation
room). You can see out; nabes can't see in. Doesn't look un-natural.

Great idea but I think you can see through it when it's light inside
and dark outside. At line-ups they have lights shining in their eyes.
DAMHIKT. Just kidding, I've never been to a line-up on either side.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2011 10:09, Higgs Boson wrote:

Replace temporarily with one- way glass (as in cop flix interrogation
room). You can see out; nabes can't see in. Doesn't look un-natural.

One-way glass typically requires less light from the viewing side. The
glass has a mirror-like appearance on the brighter side. So the
viewable direction will reverse itself between day and night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:48:04 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:54:36 -0700, Todd wrote:

I like the idea of the film.

Film is okay. Some cases it will cause the glass to break, voiding the
warranty on the window. Minor details.

If you're worried about it breaking the glass, apply it to a piece of Lexan
and put it in the window.

You don't even need lexan, which is a very strong version of plexiglas
or whatever the generic name is. It's used for football helmets. YOu
can use the weakest and probably the cheapest version of opaque
plastic. Every city has a plastic store, and some sell left over
pieces fwiw from projects they make for customers.

I wouldn't use opaque plastic or film. A "rice paper" texture would do the
job and still let in light.

painting window sash heteroscedastic Home Repair 5 June 9th 09 06:56 PM
Painting a window sill Dave UK diy 34 September 23rd 08 07:22 PM
Painting window frames R D S UK diy 6 May 21st 08 12:48 PM
Painting craked Window Sills Buzby UK diy 1 April 28th 05 01:15 PM
Painting a sash window... Adam UK diy 5 September 10th 03 05:53 PM