Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noalox experience

I recently posted, to ask about corrosion resistance stuff
for electrical terminals. My final decision was to select
dielectric grease. My best source sturned ou tto be Advance
Auto Parts and Battery, they ahd the best price, adn it was
local to me. Six bucks for three ounces.

They also had Seal All, and Gorilla Glue, w hcih I both used
within the last year or so. Seal all, to seal the leaky seam
of a metal kerosene lantern. And the groilla Glue to do a
couple wood working repairs at the church. The Seal All was
well priced, 4.99 for 2 ounce tube.

I had used Noalox, to lubricate the threads of my mini mag.
The lens to turn on was a bit "gritty" feeling, so I cleaned
it all out with spray oil and cotton swabs. And clean out
the end cap. I decided to use some of that new dia grease on
the mini mag.

I had remembered that I'd put Noalox on the threads of the
tail caps of several other aluminum body flash lights. I wen
to investigate, and see how they wre doing. A couple of them
were just grey gooped, and one looked like the Noalox had
etched the threads a bit, they weren't quite the same. Might
have also removed some of the anoidzing. Not good.

More spray oil, and more cotton swabs. Some of the grey had
dried, and I had to scrape it out with the top if a small
slotted screw driver. Coat the threads with dielectric
grease, and hope that works better than the grey aluminum
antioxidant Noalox suff.

Not totally "home repair" but hope it's a help to someone
out there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 18:42:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

More spray oil, and more cotton swabs. Some of the grey had
dried, and I had to scrape it out with the top if a small
slotted screw driver. Coat the threads with dielectric
grease, and hope that works better than the grey aluminum
antioxidant Noalox suff.

Not totally "home repair" but hope it's a help to someone
out there.

we hams are pretty familiar with noalox. we use it to ensure
conductivity between elements of beam antennas. ive seenatennas that
have been up in the weather for 30 years and the noalox was still in
good shape
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

More spray oil, and more cotton swabs. Some of the grey had
dried, and I had to scrape it out with the top if a small
slotted screw driver. Coat the threads with dielectric
grease, and hope that works better than the grey aluminum
antioxidant Noalox suff.

Not totally "home repair" but hope it's a help to someone
out there.

we hams are pretty familiar with noalox. we use it to ensure
conductivity between elements of beam antennas. ive seenatennas that
have been up in the weather for 30 years and the noalox was still in
good shape

That brings up another question, how do 30 year old TV antenna's still
work like new when the connections are aluminum and rusty metal?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe I ought to use Noalox on antennas,
not flashlights? Don't know how TV antennas
keep working.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus