Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Plumbing Question....

Is there a connector for a washing machine water outlet, that has two
separate water outlets?

One would supply water to the W/M, and the other could be used for an
external water hose like to water down an outside patio on the 2nd
floor of my condo.

A splitter, I guess you might call it.

How does it work?
How do you switch it back and forth?
Is this worth my trouble?
Any leaking to speak of?

I have very little experience with plumbing.

I also am 71yrs. old with bad pain in my hands did you need to know
that? :-)

Thanks for any help. I read this ng all the time...very good advice
given... :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Papa Pat" wrote in message
Is there a connector for a washing machine water outlet, that has two
separate water outlets?

One would supply water to the W/M, and the other could be used for an
external water hose like to water down an outside patio on the 2nd
floor of my condo.

A splitter, I guess you might call it.

How does it work?
How do you switch it back and forth?
Is this worth my trouble?
Any leaking to speak of?

I have very little experience with plumbing.

I also am 71yrs. old with bad pain in my hands did you need to know
that? :-)

Thanks for any help. I read this ng all the time...very good advice
given... :-)

Lots of splitters available, most with little control valves, although some
small and hard to work even for young strong fingers. Don't waste your
money on anything but brass, or you might come home one night from bowling
to find a flood.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to your local hardware store, and ask the same question.
They should have a "garden hose wye" that will do the job.
Two or three bucks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Papa Pat" wrote in message
Is there a connector for a washing machine water outlet,
that has two
separate water outlets?

One would supply water to the W/M, and the other could be
used for an
external water hose like to water down an outside patio on
the 2nd
floor of my condo.

A splitter, I guess you might call it.

How does it work?
How do you switch it back and forth?
Is this worth my trouble?
Any leaking to speak of?

I have very little experience with plumbing.

I also am 71yrs. old with bad pain in my hands did you need
to know
that? :-)

Thanks for any help. I read this ng all the time...very good
advice
given... :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 11:16:54 -0600, (Papa Pat)
wrote:

Is there a connector for a washing machine water outlet, that has two
separate water outlets?

I think they would be in the garden department. Washing machine hoses
and garden hoses use the same threads.

I have a silver colored metal Y connector, about 2 inches long, with
yellow levers to turn each output on and off. Got it at a yard sale,
not sure I've ever used it.

I've had to tighten some garden hoses with pliers the last little bit
to stop them from leaking, and make sure the rubber washer is in the
female end.

One would supply water to the W/M, and the other could be used for an
external water hose like to water down an outside patio on the 2nd
floor of my condo.

Until you're certain it's not leaking, I'd keep the hose going to th
outside conneced and the end of it outside, where dripping won't
damage anything.

A splitter, I guess you might call it.

How does it work?
How do you switch it back and forth?
Is this worth my trouble?

Would't be surprised. Because screwing the hoses on and off can be a
pain.

Ther are also quick connects for garden hoses and accessories. The
most likely dripping when you switched hoses would be from the one you
just disconnected, if you let it fall on the floor. If you tied both
hoses with a string coming from a few inches above, so they just
dropped an inch or two and moved to the side, maybe that would work,
especially if those little levers on the Y connector cause difficulty.
like Steve suggests. Still, I've found speed connects a little
tricky to use, and are most important if you plan to disconect, like
maybe the hose to the patio, once a year, or every time you're not
using it???
http://melnor.com/products-quickconnects.php

I'm 64 and the leversy don't cause me difficulty, and I do seem to
have a little bit of pain in my right hand a lot of the time in the
last year, but using my hand isn't harder yet. Well actually the
little levers in the first two below do cause a trifle of difficulty
because they are so little, and so my thumb hits part of the rest of
the thing in one direction and my finger in the other. It doesn't
hurt, but I like the third one better.

Wow, I just went to check if the levers are really easy to use and I
see that I have 3 Y-connectors for garden hoses! I guess I had big
plans for one hose to water one part of the yard, another the tree,
etc. but still, I think I got the last two at yard sales.

They all use ball-valves which every one here likes. All the levers
are plastic.

The green plastic one uses little levers. Green is usually Gilmore
iirc, but there is no name on this.

The yellow plastic one uses levers the same length but a trifle
thicker. Yellow means some other brand, but again there is no name on
this item, perhaps because it's not a flagship product, just a little
accessory. It has a matching cap to turn off one outlet in addition
to the valve. This one has been glued, which is probably why I got
it cheap or free. They, or I, did a really good job.

The silver metal one uses levers the same length but 2.5 times as
thick, and they move more easily, except going from 90% open to 100%
open. It's by Melnor.

If you really want, when it gets warmer, I'll try these for you and
see if any leak. Today it's about 40 degrees, but in a week I think
it will be warm.

http://www.amazon.com/Melnor-9000-Br.../dp/B00004SDWT is
brass with a free-spinning nut. I can't see how thick the levers are.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6KWPSA093Z0EDA
This the one I have, Chrome-plated. but cheaper at the store.

Even in my metal one, the innner ball and the outside of the valve are
plastic. Is brass not the same? Plastic means it makes a good seal
adn shouldn't drip, right?
Any leaking to speak of?

I have very little experience with plumbing.

I also am 71yrs. old with bad pain in my hands did you need to know
that? :-)

Actually yes. It influences the advice.

Thanks for any help. I read this ng all the time...very good advice
given... :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 1:16*pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
Is there a connector for a washing machine water outlet, that has two
separate water outlets?

One would supply water to the W/M, and the other could be used for an
external water hose like to water down an outside patio on the 2nd
floor of my condo.

A splitter, I guess you might call it.

How does it work?
How do you switch it back and forth?
Is this worth my trouble?
Any leaking to speak of?

I have very little experience with plumbing.

I also am 71yrs. old with bad pain in my hands did you need to know
that? :-)

Thanks for any help. I read this ng all the time...very good advice
given... :-)

You need a hose Y. Here's one from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

You should probably have a shut-off on the hose connected to it so
that you don't have to reach behind the washer every time you need to
turn it on or off.

We have one in our laundry room. One side feeds the washing machine
and the other feeds a hose going through the wall to my wife's
greenhouse.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd suggest a sturdy trash can or bucket as a home for the utility hose,
so as to not let bugs in through the open door or window. But what I
would really suggest is getting a plumber in to add a freeze-proof hose
bib on the deck. If the wet wall the washer is on tees into the outside
wall by the deck, they should be able to add it pretty painlessly, with
only a small area of drywall to patch. Or if that part of wall is behind
the washer and a counter or something, just cover the hole with masonite
painted the same color and screwed into place, to make any needed future
upkeep easier.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Papa Pat" wrote in message
[...]

The ones with valves for garden hoses have a significant tendency for leaks at
the valve, in my experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't think the Strata Council would allow an owner (or renter) to
put a hole through the building envelope. I also doubt the washer is on
an outside wall as the main feed is most likely run trough the ceiling
in the common hallway. Architects tend to put the utility closets along
that inside wall in the units.

I would not trust a "Y" connector inside a 2nd floor condo unless it was
over a sink! I think the OP should check to see if he could convert the
faucet in a kitchen or a bathroom to accept a hose thread. I did this
when I lived in a condo and by leaving a small loop in the hose over the
sink any drips from the hose connection went into the sink.

Having served on a Strata Council for about 15 years I have seen some
very expensive restoration bills caused by water leaking down one or two
floors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

WTF is a Strata Council? That like a condo association board? Sounds
like something out of a Cold War era Air Force movie.

I know the wet wall wasn't the outside wall- nobody with any sense does
that. But from OP's description, it sounded like it was close to the
sliding door to second floor deck, so I thought maybe it was a closet
setup in the hallway or something, and perhaps the wet wall was a
straight shot to an outside wall on one end. Without seeing a floorplan,
no way to know. Dunno why, but I assumed this was a 2-story
townhouse-style unit. Depends a lot if these are 'real' condos (aka
semi-attached or row houses) or the glorified cheap apartments that pass
for condos in much of the country. I spent several summers as a kid
working on new multi-family buildings going up, so I am quite familiar
with all the tricks they use to save a buck. But if each unit is metered
separately, they will have their own feed lines. Yes, putting a hole in
outside envelope could be an issue, but if done properly, would not put
any other unit at risk, and it doesn't change the look of the building,
so OP could make a good case that it should be a permitted variance.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:57:41 -0400, mm
wrote:

Condos are real property, in which usually the condo
association owns the outside of the walls and ceiling.

I meant the outside of the ceiling. That is, I meant the roof.

PLUMBING QUESTION Joe Home Repair 0 May 15th 10 02:34 AM
Question on plumbing average cost- location New England...For newtoilet and change pedestal plumbing KOS Home Repair 17 March 26th 10 11:37 PM
Plumbing Question thebigguy Home Repair 17 January 3rd 10 04:00 PM
Plumbing question H. Sharrott Home Repair 3 June 2nd 08 07:21 AM
Concrete question (regarding previous plumbing question) [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 09:07 PM