Old March 14th 11, 05:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moen Shower Knob : Screw Won't Come out

Have a single knob Moen shower assembly, the kind you pull out to turn
on the water and turn left and right for temperature control. I
believe the knob is broken as it turns completely around but doesn't
change the temperature. When I pop off the cover I get the screw to
turn and turn but it never completely comes out. Any thoughts?

Old March 14th 11, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 1:59*pm, Jeffy3 wrote:
Have a single knob Moen shower assembly, the kind you pull out to turn
on the water and turn left and right for temperature control. I
believe the knob is broken as it turns completely around but doesn't
change the temperature. When I pop off the cover I get the screw to
turn and turn but it never completely comes out. Any thoughts?

Sounds like it might be possible that the shaft is spinning.
Sometimes you can slide the cover under the knob back and see the
shaft. You may be able to drill the screw head off. Otherwise you
might have to carefully break the knob so that you can remove it from
the shaft. Moen has a lifetime warranty on most of their stuff. But
it will be a lot easier if you can fix it without simply replacing the
whole thing. Unless you can get at it from behind.
Old March 14th 11, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 2:58*pm, Red Green wrote:
Jeffy3 wrote in news:0a94b6bc-e10a-475e-90a1-
:

Have a single knob Moen shower assembly, the kind you pull out to turn
on the water and turn left and right for temperature control. I
believe the knob is broken as it turns completely around but doesn't
change the temperature.

What makes you think that? :-)

When I pop off the cover I get the screw to
turn and turn but it never completely comes out. Any thoughts?

Anyway, as Jamesgangnc mentioned, it might be possible that the shaft is
spinning.

Another possibility is that the screw is stripped to death or broken off.
Gunk may be keeping it from falling out easily. Try a magnetic screwdriver,
telescoping magnet, small needlenose pliers small pickup tool to grab the
head.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4ptk8e8

http://www.tedpella.com/tools_html/99-15330-w-hand.jpg

Thanks for the answers. If the shaft is spinning is that another
problem to be worried about? Does the fact that I can change the
temperature of the water by turning the screw help with diagnosing the
problem, or is that to be expected? If I break off the old knob,
won't I still be unable to get a new one on without getting that screw
out?
Old March 14th 11, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 3:04*pm, Jeffy3 wrote:
[...]

out?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that does change the diagnosis. It sounds like turning the screw
is operating the valve as designed. The problem is likely that the
plastic ribs or flat spot inside the knob is stripped out causing the
knob to simply spin on the shaft. You need to get the plastic knob
off and without seeing it it is difficult to advise you. I think that
if you can get the knob off then you should be able to grip the metal
shaft with some pliers and then loosen the screw.

I don't know how you can get the knob off except to break it. A very
small chisel applied to the knob plastic around the screw head
perhaps? Or a cutting bit in a dremel? Just some thoughts.

Old March 14th 11, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 3:04 pm, Jeffy3 wrote:
[...]

My thoughts also. Use Dremel or a hacksaw blade. .Cut into knob a ways and
then stick a screwdriver into slot and twist to crack knob and remove. WW

Old March 14th 11, 08:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 3:18*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:04*pm, Jeffy3 wrote:

[...]

perhaps? *Or a cutting bit in a dremel? *Just some thoughts.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much. When I get home I will try this! BTW, it's the
teardrop shaped knob.
Old March 14th 11, 09:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2011 1:59 PM, Jeffy3 wrote:
Have a single knob Moen shower assembly, the kind you pull out to turn
on the water and turn left and right for temperature control. I
believe the knob is broken as it turns completely around but doesn't
change the temperature. When I pop off the cover I get the screw to
turn and turn but it never completely comes out. Any thoughts?

Pull out on the knob as hard as you can without breaking it while
turning the screw out.

If it comes apart and a new screw works you are OK, if not you need to
replace the shaft.
Old March 15th 11, 12:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 5:14*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 3/14/2011 1:59 PM, Jeffy3 wrote:

Have a single knob Moen shower assembly, the kind you pull out to turn
on the water and turn left and right for temperature control. I
believe the knob is broken as it turns completely around but doesn't
change the temperature. When I pop off the cover I get the screw to
turn and turn but it never completely comes out. Any thoughts?

Pull out on the knob as hard as you can without breaking it while
turning the screw out.

If it comes apart and a new screw works you are OK, if not you need to
replace the shaft.

I would not expect that to work. The shaft is spinning inside the
knob. There is a remote chance that pushing the knob sideways while
turning the screw would work.

Moen will send a free knob if you can figure out the model number and
tell them you are the original owner.
Old March 15th 11, 01:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 05:25:47 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

[...]

Try pushing in hard on the knob. If the knob will push back on the
spline, you may be able to hold the knob inward (holding the shaft
spline) and gently back the screw all the way out. Only then pull the
knob off.
--
Mr.E

New Moen Shower SteveB[_10_] Home Repair 6 June 2nd 09 05:32 PM
Moen shower cartridge-when to replace? Tony Home Repair 4 June 24th 07 07:32 PM
Moen Shower Faucet Replacement [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 19th 07 07:06 PM
Old Moen Shower Handle Leo Home Repair 1 December 15th 06 01:27 PM
Help: Leaking Moen Single Knob Tub Shower Unit [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 9th 06 11:17 PM