Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Simplicity riding mower seat interlock?

Just bought a different house and included with the offer to purchase was
the Simplicity riding mower. Closed this week and discovered that he left
the battery and a half a tank of gas in the mower. That would mean its been
sitting in the freezing WI winter since about mid October. The battery is
shot and won't take a charge. Anyway, brought my old battery from home, got
it running and just wanted to run the old gas out.
The seat interlock isn't working. So even with the parking brake on and no
blade turning, I can't get off the seat w/o the mower dying.
Anyone know how that interlock works and if I can fix it? It must be some
kind of mechanical relay but I can't find anything under the seat. It flips
forward for battery access but I don't see anything else under there.
Any guesses appreciated.

I just want to run the old gas out and deal with it in spring, but I don't
want to park my ass on it for 3 hours in 30 degree weather, running the
mower out of gas.
WI spring is at least 6 weeks away
Thanks,
Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2011 7:24 PM, Joe J wrote:
[...]

Got any rocks or concrete blocks?

Not familiar with the deadman switch on Simplicitys, but if it isn't
obvious, it must be in the hinge, or buried in the seat. Any wires
running through the hinge area?

(Googles)

Nah, that didn't work, since I don't know your model number. But
apparently it is called a 'safety switch', if you want to hunt. And
there were hits about a recall on the switches for that brand.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

The seat interlock sounds fine. It's designed to kill the
motor, if the weight is lifted from the seat.

Try parking about 100 pounds of bagged of rock salt on the
seat, run the gas out. And don't let any kids see you do
that. Don't need to teach kids how to defeat safety devices.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe J" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 18:24:16 -0600, "Joe J" wrote:

[...]

If it's running with the old gas, the gas isn't bad. It's a waste to
burn it for nothing. I'd put in the recomended amount of sta-bil and
let it sit until spring. You can even mix it with new gas then, but
it doesn't seem necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 6:24*pm, "Joe J" wrote:
[...]

The mower is operating as designed!!! It is supposed to shut off
automatically if you should fall off the seat, such as when you go
under a low-hanging tree branch, of maybe tip over on a hillside. If
it runs, I would add a little fresh gas, and then stabil as suggested
by others, and then maybe run it every two weeks for 5 minutes or so.
Have you checked the cleanliness of the air filter, and how about
changing the oil?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Mar 5, 6:24 pm, "Joe J" wrote:
[...]

+++++++++++++++++++

You misunderstand. As the OP points out, the parking brake is set and the
blade is off. Under those circumstances, plus the gear in neutral, you are
supposed to be able to get off the seat without the engine cutting off. The
interlock to cut off the engine is there if either the parking brake is not
set or the blades are running.

He is asking why the engine cuts off even with the parking brake set and the
blades not running. It's supposed to not cut off at that point. That's
exactly how mine works. When working properly, it allows you under the
right safety settings to be able to get up without cutting off the engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 9:41*pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Mar 5, 6:24 pm, "Joe J" wrote:

[...]

right safety settings to be able to get up without cutting off the engine..- Hide quoted text -

OK - Sorry. I would try to get a wiring diagram from the
manufacturer, assuming the OP has a multimeter and knows how to trace
wiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2011 6:24 PM, Joe J wrote:
[...]

personally, i'd bypass such a thing before i spent even 2 seconds on it.
But having said that, i'd just unbolt the dam gas tank, dump the ****
out and put it back on. If you insist upon leaving it dry. (not
recommended).

_I_ would FILL the tank, add stabil, run for 10 minutes and forget it.
The **** won't go bad over the winter anyway even without the stabil.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 7:24*pm, "Joe J" wrote:
[...]

It probably isn't the seat switch that isn't working correctly. It is
probably the switch that is activated/de-activated at the foot pedal/
foot pedal linkage.

Your seat probably has a little tab on it. When you sit on the seat,
the tab will go thru a slot in the frame and activate/de-activate the
dead-mans switch.

There may be a parts breakdown on line for you rmodel. Check it out.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The seat interlock sounds fine. It's designed to kill the
motor, if the weight is lifted from the seat.

Try parking about 100 pounds of bagged of rock salt on the
seat, run the gas out. And don't let any kids see you do
that. Don't need to teach kids how to defeat safety devices.

How else are they going to learn?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ideally, some way which leaves them with toes, fingers, etc,
still atached.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
The seat interlock sounds fine. It's designed to kill the
motor, if the weight is lifted from the seat.

Try parking about 100 pounds of bagged of rock salt on the
seat, run the gas out. And don't let any kids see you do
that. Don't need to teach kids how to defeat safety
devices.

How else are they going to learn?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2011 7:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ideally, some way which leaves them with toes, fingers, etc,
still atached.

it's amazing we were able to power mow for a half century without all
those bull**** switches.....

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 12:24*am, "Joe J" wrote:
[...]

Your PETROL (the correct name ) will be fine in cold weather. In warm
weather the more volatile components evaporate off making starting
harder.
If you are a worrier, drain the tank into a proper airtight
container. Disconnect the pipe at the carburretor if neccesary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some kids had common sense. Others have guardian angels. And
a few had less than 10 fingers. However, the over
regulations are killing us all.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 3/6/2011 7:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ideally, some way which leaves them with toes, fingers,
etc,
still atached.

it's amazing we were able to power mow for a half century
without all
those bull**** switches.....

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jw, Denny wrote:
I'm installing a safety interlock switch on a Taylor and Dunn work cart, as of
now it's working backwards, you sit down and it won't run, any ideas, my
brains are like marshmallow at this point

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-624279-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 8:14:08 AM UTC-4, Denny wrote:
replying to jw, Denny wrote:
I'm installing a safety interlock switch on a Taylor and Dunn work cart, as of
now it's working backwards, you sit down and it won't run, any ideas, my
brains are like marshmallow at this point

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-624279-.htm

It sounds like you have the wrong kind of switch or are using the wrong
pair of contacts on the switch. It needs a Normally Open (NO) and you
have a Normally Closed or vice versa. Some switches have three terminals
and offer both.