Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 06:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,249
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:28:03 -0800 (PST), Tomas
wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.


Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops down the hose connector?
  #3   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,677
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

On 3/5/2011 11:58 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:28:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.


Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops down the hose connector?


Or a critter built a nest in the air hole or exhaust? Mud daubers are
particularly bad about that around here; wouldn't be first time I'd have
found somesuch blockage...leaf cutters are great in the ends of the lawn
sprinkler at about the same hole diameter to lay eggs altho not correct
time of year for (assuming) NA.

--

  #4   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 08:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

On Mar 5, 1:46*pm, dpb wrote:
On 3/5/2011 11:58 AM, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:28:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:


This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.


Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops *down the hose connector?


Or a critter built a nest in the air hole or exhaust? *Mud daubers are
particularly bad about that around here; wouldn't be first time I'd have
found somesuch blockage...leaf cutters are great in the ends of the lawn
sprinkler at about the same hole diameter to lay eggs altho not correct
time of year for (assuming) NA.

--


Plenty of oil and it was stored in a sealed case. I took it apart and
replaced the seals, piston head and trigger valve. Everything appears
clear and looks brand new. I may tear it down and try once again.
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,249
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 11:19:55 -0800 (PST), Tomas
wrote:

On Mar 5, 1:46*pm, dpb wrote:
On 3/5/2011 11:58 AM, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:28:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:


This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.


Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops *down the hose connector?


Or a critter built a nest in the air hole or exhaust? *Mud daubers are
particularly bad about that around here; wouldn't be first time I'd have
found somesuch blockage...leaf cutters are great in the ends of the lawn
sprinkler at about the same hole diameter to lay eggs altho not correct
time of year for (assuming) NA.

--


Plenty of oil and it was stored in a sealed case. I took it apart and
replaced the seals, piston head and trigger valve. Everything appears
clear and looks brand new. I may tear it down and try once again.


This is from the manual:

Failure to cycle

Air supply restriction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Check air supply
equipment

Tool dry, lack of lubrication . . . . . . . . . .Use BOSTITCH Air Tool
lubricant

Worn head valve O-rings . . . . . . . . . . . .Replace O-rings

Broken cylinder cap spring . . . . . . . . . .Replace cylinder cap
spring

Head valve stuck in cap . . . . . . . ..Disassemble/Check/Lubricate

If the O-rings are okay I would look at the spring, making sure it is
'seated' properly.

Let us know what you find out, please.


  #6   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,143
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 11:19:55 -0800 (PST), Tomas
wrote:

On Mar 5, 1:46*pm, dpb wrote:
On 3/5/2011 11:58 AM, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:28:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:


This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.


Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops *down the hose connector?


Or a critter built a nest in the air hole or exhaust? *Mud daubers are
particularly bad about that around here; wouldn't be first time I'd have
found somesuch blockage...leaf cutters are great in the ends of the lawn
sprinkler at about the same hole diameter to lay eggs altho not correct
time of year for (assuming) NA.

--


Plenty of oil and it was stored in a sealed case. I took it apart and
replaced the seals, piston head and trigger valve. Everything appears
clear and looks brand new. I may tear it down and try once again.


I have the brad gun that came with the Evolv compressor at Sears.
The combo was on sale for $59.99.
Nailer looks pretty much like your Bostitch.
Shot maybe 500 brads to put in trim and moulding.
Think I reloaded about 5 times.
Twice I had to pull the front off to clear a nail jam.
Clearing the jammed nail wasn't hard to figure out.
Twice I had to pull the top head because it wouldn't fire.
This thing came with no "naming of the parts" or fix-it guide.
All I did then was wiggle the piston. Didn't seem to be stuck and
hardly moved in the bore.
Figured the gun was just broke.
Put it together and it worked.
No idea why.
My son did that the first time it wouldn't fire, so the second time I
just did what he did. Figured if he was lucky I could be too.
But I was still surprised it worked after doing that.
I asked him how what he did had fixed it.
He said, "I dunno, but I do the same with my air tools at work"
So there ya go.

--Vic
  #7   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2009
Posts: 3,779
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

On 3/5/2011 11:28 AM, Tomas wrote:
This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.


Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD
  #8   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 11:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,249
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:25:20 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD


You are correct. The one exception is if you pull back the little
safety do-hickey it will fire. Country boys have been known to shoot
at rabbits while standing on the roof.
  #9   Report Post  
Old March 5th 11, 11:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,249
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 14:48:53 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:25:20 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD


You are correct. The one exception is if you pull back the little
safety do-hickey it will fire. Country boys have been known to shoot
at rabbits while standing on a roof.


Nail gun art: Mona Lisa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbwXUHRcrLE&feature=fvst

  #10   Report Post  
Old March 6th 11, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,355
Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)


"Tomas" wrote in message
...
This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.



I do not mean to insult but do you have the correct nails?

Also try turning down the pressure a bit. The manual for that model says:

quote
OPERATING PRESSU
70 to 100 p.s.i.g. (4.9 to 7.0 kg/cm2). Select the operating pressure within
this range for
best fastener performance.
DO NOT EXCEED THIS RECOMMENDED OPERATING PRESSURE.
/quote

Colbyt




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Professional CNC machine -- meaning of CYCLE START and CYCLE STOP Ignoramus18915 Metalworking 16 August 2nd 10 03:42 PM
Nailgun education Gunner Asch[_2_] Metalworking 10 December 31st 07 04:30 AM
Stanley Bostitch BT35 trigger valve assembly Dan Lanciani Home Repair 0 October 1st 06 12:54 AM
Yet more nailgun follies, or, why not to tape down the trigger... Paul Hays Woodworking 24 January 19th 05 07:09 PM
I fought the nailgun and the nailgun won Old Oak Woodworking 25 November 22nd 04 02:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017