Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:28:03 -0800 (PST), Tomas
wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops down the hose connector?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops down the hose connector?

Or a critter built a nest in the air hole or exhaust? Mud daubers are
particularly bad about that around here; wouldn't be first time I'd have
found somesuch blockage...leaf cutters are great in the ends of the lawn
sprinkler at about the same hole diameter to lay eggs altho not correct
time of year for (assuming) NA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Plenty of oil and it was stored in a sealed case. I took it apart and
replaced the seals, piston head and trigger valve. Everything appears
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 11:19:55 -0800 (PST), Tomas
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

This is from the manual:

Failure to cycle

Air supply restriction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Check air supply
equipment

Tool dry, lack of lubrication . . . . . . . . . .Use BOSTITCH Air Tool
lubricant

Worn head valve O-rings . . . . . . . . . . . .Replace O-rings

Broken cylinder cap spring . . . . . . . . . .Replace cylinder cap
spring

Head valve stuck in cap . . . . . . . ..Disassemble/Check/Lubricate

If the O-rings are okay I would look at the spring, making sure it is
'seated' properly.

Let us know what you find out, please.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops Â*down the hose connector?

Or a critter built a nest in the air hole or exhaust? Â*Mud daubers are
particularly bad about that around here; wouldn't be first time I'd have
found somesuch blockage...leaf cutters are great in the ends of the lawn
sprinkler at about the same hole diameter to lay eggs altho not correct
time of year for (assuming) NA.

--

Plenty of oil and it was stored in a sealed case. I took it apart and
replaced the seals, piston head and trigger valve. Everything appears
clear and looks brand new. I may tear it down and try once again.

I have the brad gun that came with the Evolv compressor at Sears.
The combo was on sale for $59.99.
Nailer looks pretty much like your Bostitch.
Shot maybe 500 brads to put in trim and moulding.
Think I reloaded about 5 times.
Twice I had to pull the front off to clear a nail jam.
Clearing the jammed nail wasn't hard to figure out.
Twice I had to pull the top head because it wouldn't fire.
This thing came with no "naming of the parts" or fix-it guide.
All I did then was wiggle the piston. Didn't seem to be stuck and
hardly moved in the bore.
Figured the gun was just broke.
Put it together and it worked.
No idea why.
My son did that the first time it wouldn't fire, so the second time I
just did what he did. Figured if he was lucky I could be too.
But I was still surprised it worked after doing that.
I asked him how what he did had fixed it.
He said, "I dunno, but I do the same with my air tools at work"
So there ya go.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2011 11:28 AM, Tomas wrote:
This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:25:20 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD

You are correct. The one exception is if you pull back the little
safety do-hickey it will fire. Country boys have been known to shoot
at rabbits while standing on the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD

You are correct. The one exception is if you pull back the little
safety do-hickey it will fire. Country boys have been known to shoot
at rabbits while standing on a roof.

Nail gun art: Mona Lisa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbwXUHRcrLE&feature=fvst

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomas" wrote in message
This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

I do not mean to insult but do you have the correct nails?

Also try turning down the pressure a bit. The manual for that model says:

quote
OPERATING PRESSU
70 to 100 p.s.i.g. (4.9 to 7.0 kg/cm2). Select the operating pressure within
this range for
best fastener performance.
DO NOT EXCEED THIS RECOMMENDED OPERATING PRESSURE.
/quote

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops *down the hose connector?

Just dropping a little oil in the air inlet may not be nough for a gun
that has set up for a while. The gun may not be working well enough
for the oil to get where it needs to be. Take the gun apart and
reassemble replacing parts as needed. Apply oil while its apart.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops *down the hose connector?

Just dropping a little oil in the air inlet may not be nough for a gun
that has set up for a while. The gun may not be working well enough
for the oil to get where it needs to be. Take the gun apart and
reassemble replacing parts as needed. Apply oil while its apart.

Jimmie

True. The OP replaced some parts, likely to have lube instructions for
assembly. Some parts need lube during assembly. I don't have
problems with pneumatic tools. Trick is keeping compressor / line
moisture out of the tool. My 30+ year old half inch impact wrench has
leaked oil in the bottom drawer of the tool box. No problem. I wipe
the drawer clean.

Hope the OP tells us what he found to be the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitchand replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including thetriggervalve. Using 110psi, I
press thetriggerandaircomes out of thetriggerbut the gundoes
notfire (cycle). I'mnotabout to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

I decided to tear it down one last time and see if I could find
anything obvious or a blockage. I did notice something new: there was
a very small "air" tunnel in the top part of the head, near the
exhaust? It did not appear to be blocked but I blew it out with
compressed air just to be safe. I applied some light oil (already had
lube) to some of the o-rings. But this time when I put the piston back
in, I just barely put it in. Before I pushed it all the way down. Not
sure if that made a difference. I reassembled, crossed my fingers and
"bang", it works!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:28:03 AM UTC-6, Tomas wrote:
I... replaced just about every seal this thing has... I press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does not fire (cycle).

I just spent 3 hours overhauling my Hitachi NV65AH and it was doing the same thing. After dismantling it and reassembling it I realized that the gasket was blocking the "small air tunnel" as you put it. She works like a charm.. Amazing that you can't find much info about these problems on the web today.

So, make sure the exhaust head cover gasket is not blocking the little small hole that looks like a screw can go in it (flip the gasket over). Also don't snap the exhaust valve all the way in or push the cylinder all the way down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My gun has no air coming out know where

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:04:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

My gun has no air coming out know where

I don't know what "know where" means. Maybe an O-ring has failed.

Maybe you didn't oil the gun? _ Nail Gun Lives Matter_
Posted to alt.home.repair

My Bostitch Nailer RN44B has oil and air coming out of the trigger. Can anyone suggest what i should do. I have it torn apart and I don't really see anything wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 12:30:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

My Bostitch Nailer RN44B has oil and air coming out of the trigger. Can anyone suggest what i should do. I have it torn apart and I don't really see anything wrong.

It probably leaks because you took it apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have done all of the above suggestions with my SB 1842bn including replacement parts,including oiling all the O-rings, cycling the piston by hand, and including checking the air pressure plus having the proper nails, and it still leaks at the trigger. I've gone through the gun three times, making sure there are no burrs on the piston shaft. The only thing I can find is that the piston seems to hang up ever so slightly towards the top of the cylinder. After applying more oil it seems to move fairly well. btw - I'm a former machinist so I know my way around a wrench. Now what do I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Great idea I'll give that a shot. Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good on you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm borrowing a friends bostitch and the same thing happened to me. Thank God I found your post because it totally worked and fixed the problem! Thanks a million for this tip!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 5, 2011 at 12:28:03 PM UTC-5, Tomas wrote:
This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

I have a similar problem. Will bot fire nail. Seemed like he trigger wasn't working properly. Took out the 'roll pins' and found that the valve that controls the depth of the nail was nor allowing the safety on the trigger to engage, when pulled. cleaned and was able to get one nail to set and the problem returned. Looks like the adjustment for the pressure/switch release is faulty.
Haven't contacted Bostitch. Of course I didn't keep my receipt!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tomas, Chris wrote:
I am having the same tr
ouble but I cant find
were to find the valve at?anyone know were I can get one at?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...le-624251-.htm