Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cutting board oil

What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me.
Haven't noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping
the board reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.

DON'T USE TUNG OIL! At least not the boiled variety; contains toxic
stuff (driers). Maybe UNBOILED linseed oil. But just use ordinary
vegetable oil.

Dunno about food-grade mineral oil; sounds OK, but I don't know where to
get it either.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:37:26 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me.
Haven't noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping
the board reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.

DON'T USE TUNG OIL! At least not the boiled variety; contains toxic
stuff (driers). Maybe UNBOILED linseed oil. But just use ordinary
vegetable oil.

Dunno about food-grade mineral oil; sounds OK, but I don't know where to
get it either.

The laxative section of your nearest drugstore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can get it at any drug store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

Go to the pharmacy and get the stuff they sell for, um, bowel lubrication.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 2:16*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? *Do I get it at the hardware store or? *I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. *It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. *It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. *What do YOU use?

Steve

Tung oil I would not use , it hardens as a finish that will wear off
into your food. I dont know of any non food grade "mineral oil", its
all edible from the pharmacy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that
is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung
oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind
of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

Go to the pharmacy and get the stuff they sell for, um, bowel lubrication.

For innies or outies?

Sorry, someone had to say it...........................................

I'll just leave now ..........................

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that
is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung
oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any
kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

***

Look he
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cutting+board+oil

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that
is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung
oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any
kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

***

Look he
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cutting+board+oil

Look he

http://www.urch.com/...reading-compr...e-your-reading -comprehension-skills.html
-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

It is mineral oil that is guaranteed not to have harmful contaminants
and commonly used as a laxative. It is clear and comes in a bottle and
can be found at your neighborhood drug store or pharmacy or if you want
to pay more you can can get it at a kitchen store labeled as butcher
block treatment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-02-28, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid.

Butcher shops use mineral oil. Any mineral oil is food grade. If
you're gonna consider a petroleum product food grade ingestible, why
be picky. Mineral oil has been recommended for ingestion to relieve
severe constipation for decades. Not me! Mineral oil is available in
any drug store, pharmacy, and most likely the over-the-counter
pharmaceutical section of most supermarkets.

BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time
swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are
grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying
to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other
oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object. It induces one's gag
reflex and is often next to impossible to choke down even if, like
mineral oil, it's completely tasteless.

I choose not to oil my cutting board with any oil. I jes clean it
with warm soap and water and sometimes a mild water/bleach solution.
A good board, made of maple or some other appropriate wood and a
quality glue, will last for years.

If you buy one of the huge butcher block tables that cost $$$$ and
will last forever and insist on oiling it, use mineral oil. Those
things get cleaned several times a day, and worn down from heavy use.
So much meat passes over them, there's little chance of ingesting much
mineral oil.

My aversion to ingesting petroleum products is jes my own personal
hang-up.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 5:10 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:05:20 -0500, George wrote:

On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or?
I just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have
that is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed
or tung oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT
to use any kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

It is mineral oil that is guaranteed not to have harmful contaminants
and commonly used as a laxative. It is clear and comes in a bottle and
can be found at your neighborhood drug store or pharmacy or if you want
to pay more you can can get it at a kitchen store labeled as butcher
block treatment.

One correction. It can be harmful in larger than usual doses.

I would not use it for this purpose since you cannot predict
how much it will contaminate the food. If it's too much, you'll ****
yourself to death.

For cutting boards, you just wipe the oil on and wipe off again. Food
grade would be that sold at pharmacies or food stores, safe to ingest.
You would not get more than a trace of it on food, used properly. In
long term use (ingestion), mineral oil can cause vitamin deficiency (of
oil soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Feb 2011 22:12:18 GMT, notbob wrote:

BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time
swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are
grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying
to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other
oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object.

You were a bad kid, huh? I would rather go the school than have mom
give me tablespoon of castor oil. One dose and you're cured for life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 5:30 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:20:49 -0500, wrote:

[...]

That's fine. You do what you want with it. I use vegetable oil to stone
my knives with. But then I wash everything after. If this dude's cutting
board is drying/cracking, nothing will fix it. If he wants to prevent
further degeneration he should use Canola, Peanut, Corn oil. Those aren't
as much of a threat as petroleum based mineral oil.

Did you mean to write he *shouldn't* use vegetable oils such as canola
corn oil because of rancidity issues?

Enuff said I'm outta this one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that
is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung
oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any
kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me.
Haven't noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping
the board reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.

--------------

Olive oil is one of the most unstable oils around. That is a big no-no.
That is really bad unsanitary advice you giving.

The only cooking oil you can use to seal cutting boards is coconut oil
because it's the only stable inert cooking oil there is.

It's best to use either beeswax or USP mineral oil or any other inert oil.

Disinfect win vinegar periodically. Use salt as a stain remover.

You can use RAW tung oil but I dunno any cook that does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bed, Bath & Beyond sells stuff that seems okay. It was near the
cutting boards.

Don't use olive oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On 28 Feb 2011 22:12:18 GMT, notbob wrote:

BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time
swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are
grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying
to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other
oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object.

You were a bad kid, huh? I would rather go the school than have mom
give me tablespoon of castor oil. One dose and you're cured for life.

I took one spoon of that in my whole life. It ranks in the top three worst
things I have ever eaten. After they outlawed all the patent medicines with
cocaine and the good stuff in them, castor oil was the cureall. You didn't
dare look like you were sick or ............................

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I am sure you can buy it locally but:
http://www.google.com/search?q=food-...3424583e0d5426

Google search term: food grade mineral oil and click on the shopping
results.

Don't use the veggie oil. Over time it will go rancid.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:01:18 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On 28 Feb 2011 22:12:18 GMT, notbob wrote:

BTW, those old comedy movies of unfortunate kids having a hard time
swallowing castor oil is true, but it's not the taste the kids are
grimacing over, it's the density of the oil. Like mineral oil, trying
to swallow a big ol' spoonfull of castor, mineral, and most other
oils, is like trying to swallow a solid object.

You were a bad kid, huh? I would rather go the school than have mom
give me tablespoon of castor oil. One dose and you're cured for life.

I took one spoon of that in my whole life. It ranks in the top three worst
things I have ever eaten. After they outlawed all the patent medicines with
cocaine and the good stuff in them, castor oil was the cureall. You didn't
dare look like you were sick or ............................

Like I say, one spoonful will cure you. It don't take a second one.
Just the suggestion of another is like a miracle. Makes eating a ball
of lard seem easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 4:49 PM, SteveB wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that
is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung
oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind
of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

Go to the pharmacy and get the stuff they sell for, um, bowel lubrication.

For innies or outies?

Sorry, someone had to say it...........................................

I'll just leave now ..........................

Steve ;-)

That is a one way orifice... OUT!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 4:39 PM, ransley wrote:
On Feb 28, 2:16 pm, wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

Tung oil I would not use , it hardens as a finish that will wear off
into your food. I dont know of any non food grade "mineral oil", its
all edible from the pharmacy.

I know of one mineral oil that isn't food grade.... baby oil. It's
mineral oil with perfume.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 2:16 pm, wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that is
drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung oil,
not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any kind of
cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Steve

Tung oil I would not use , it hardens as a finish that will wear off
into your food. I dont know of any non food grade "mineral oil", its
all edible from the pharmacy.

I know of one mineral oil that isn't food grade.... baby oil. It's
mineral oil with perfume.

My wife is a chef. She's says wood cutting boards are garbage.
Wanted to buy her one once, because I like maple.
Doesn't every man like a nice hardwood?
Anyway, she said don't even think about it.
Though I can't translate exactly from woman talk to man talk, my
take on what she said is basically "Wood if for amateurs."
Maybe even "A wood cutting board is sissy stuff."
Like I say, hard to translate.
At work she uses 3 plastic/acrylic cutting boards.
Green for veggies, white for cooked meat, red for raw meat.
They stain, but wash easily.
There are safety rules in commercial kitchens.
Wood or glass cutting boards not allowed.
Here at home she has a frosted clear plastic/acrylic board.
She loves it. It doesn't stain.
It's scratched a bit, but washes easily.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 2:16 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Isn't wood a bed for germ brewing of all kinds?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
Bed, Bath & Beyond sells stuff that seems okay. It was near the
cutting boards.

Yes, but the same oil is about a quarter of that at the drug store. Plain
old USP mineral oil. Apply, let soak, repeat a couple of times and you are
good to go for a very long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
My wife is a chef. She's says wood cutting boards are garbage.

Wanted to buy her one once, because I like maple.
Doesn't every man like a nice hardwood?
Anyway, she said don't even think about it.
Though I can't translate exactly from woman talk to man talk, my
take on what she said is basically "Wood if for amateurs."
Maybe even "A wood cutting board is sissy stuff."
Like I say, hard to translate.
At work she uses 3 plastic/acrylic cutting boards.
Green for veggies, white for cooked meat, red for raw meat.
They stain, but wash easily.
There are safety rules in commercial kitchens.
Wood or glass cutting boards not allowed.
Here at home she has a frosted clear plastic/acrylic board.
She loves it. It doesn't stain.
It's scratched a bit, but washes easily.

--Vic

A search for wood cutting board germs shows that wood is actually beter than
the other boards as far as not having germs on them. It is probably a very
good idea to use seperate boards for differant foods.

Even the 'experts' seem to be wrong when switching to the plastic type
boards.
Go with the wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote
My wife is a chef. She's says wood cutting boards are garbage.
Wanted to buy her one once, because I like maple.

There are safety rules in commercial kitchens.
Wood or glass cutting boards not allowed.

Yes, but I still prefer wood. It just looks better and works well with
little care. In a pro kitchen, it is probably better to use the plastic
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote
One correction. It can be harmful in larger than usual doses.

I would not use it for this purpose since you cannot predict
how much it will contaminate the food. If it's too much, you'll ****
yourself to death.

Show me a single instance of that and I'll cut up my wood boards and burn
them. Meantime, I'm using the wood, protected with mineral oil, liberally
applied when new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 10:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote
My wife is a chef. She's says wood cutting boards are garbage.
Wanted to buy her one once, because I like maple.

There are safety rules in commercial kitchens.
Wood or glass cutting boards not allowed.

Yes, but I still prefer wood. It just looks better and works well with
little care. In a pro kitchen, it is probably better to use the plastic
though.

I agree. While I understand about commercial kitchen rules not allowing
them, ISTR some studies where the wood ones actually retarded bacterial
growth better than plastic. (no, damnit, I do not have a cite.) Wood is
definitely kinder to knives, though. I'll stick with wood ones, as long
as my stock holds out, or they are available in stores.

I knew a guy back in the day, who had a good woodshop, and a good stock
of hardwood plank cutoffs. He'd just run the cutting board through the
planer every few weeks to expose a fresh surface, and when it got too
thin, move on to the next chunk. The used ones either went in the
fireplace, or got used out in the shop for whatever.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Maybe if you pour it on and lick it off? I don't know, I've never tried
that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

LOL! You are really serious aren't you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 5:47 PM, George wrote:
[...]

No he didn't, either he believes what he wrote or his sarcasm isn't
easily detectable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 5:58 PM, Shaun Eli wrote:
Bed, Bath& Beyond sells stuff that seems okay. It was near the
cutting boards.

Yes, it's expensive mineral oil. Same as the cheap stuff in the pharmacy.

Don't use olive oil.

Yuck, I don't even eat olives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote

Hi,
Isn't wood a bed for germ brewing of all kinds?

You wash it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote
One correction. It can be harmful in larger than usual doses.

I would not use it for this purpose since you cannot predict
how much it will contaminate the food. If it's too much, you'll ****
yourself to death.

Yes, if you leave the food on there for a very long time, or leave food at
too high a temperature, and don't practice minimal cleaning. It will
contaminate every surface it gets on. I wash mine after every use, and use
bleach wipes frequently.

Steve

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Oh, I see, you're talking about using as much as you do on your wife. Well,
yes, ABaum, I guess then you might get the runs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 9:51 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

Go to the pharmacy and get the stuff they sell for, um, bowel
lubrication.

For innies or outies?

Sorry, someone had to say it...........................................

I'll just leave now ..........................

Steve ;-)

That is a one way orifice... OUT!

Your homophobia is showing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 6:01 PM, SteveB wrote:

I took one spoon of that in my whole life. It ranks in the top three worst
things I have ever eaten.

Inquiring minds want to know - what are the other 2?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2011 1:00 AM, SteveB wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
[...]

OK, glad to see you wrote ABaum, I was being a tiny bit sarcastic about
pouring it on and licking it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2011 1:01 PM, Peter wrote:
On 2/28/2011 9:51 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

Go to the pharmacy and get the stuff they sell for, um, bowel
lubrication.

For innies or outies?

Sorry, someone had to say it...........................................

I'll just leave now ..........................

Steve ;-)

That is a one way orifice... OUT!

Your homophobia is showing.

Good Gawd, straight couples do that also, I prefer not. Now what kind
of phobia do I have? Never mind, don't answer that.

cutting board Stoutman Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 April 15th 07 04:26 AM
cutting board Swingman Woodworking 0 April 13th 06 01:31 AM
Red Oak in cutting board? rkruz Woodworking 13 July 30th 05 01:47 AM
Red Oak in cutting board? jjsmithin Woodworking 8 July 29th 05 04:51 AM