Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Under-Cabinet Lighting

The wife decided that she wants LED under-cabinet lighting under
the four cabinets. I've found the fixtures and power supply online,
but the interconnecting wiring has me confused. I've found various
lengths cables with molded connectors (outrageously priced), but
what I want to do is buy wire and connectors and make them up
myself because a couple of the runs are long, and I don't want to
have to drill holes big enough to pass a connector through.

Are these special connectors? Are they available on line? What gauge
wire do I need to use?

Thanks in advance for any information.

JAS

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5880 (20110216) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"John Simpson" wrote in
:

The wife decided that she wants LED under-cabinet lighting under
the four cabinets. I've found the fixtures and power supply online,
but the interconnecting wiring has me confused. I've found various
lengths cables with molded connectors (outrageously priced), but
what I want to do is buy wire and connectors and make them up
myself because a couple of the runs are long, and I don't want to
have to drill holes big enough to pass a connector through.

Are these special connectors? Are they available on line? What gauge
wire do I need to use?

Thanks in advance for any information.

JAS

snip

I'm looking for LED undercabinet lights as well. What was it you found?
More info may help with your question, too!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Feb 16, 10:32*am, "John Simpson"
wrote:
The wife decided that she wants LED under-cabinet lighting under
the four cabinets. I've found the fixtures and power supply online,
but the interconnecting wiring has me confused. I've found various
lengths cables with molded connectors (outrageously priced), but
what I want to do is buy wire and connectors and make them up
myself because a couple of the runs are long, and I don't want to
have to drill holes big enough to pass a connector through.

Are these special connectors? Are they available on line? What gauge
wire do I need to use?

Thanks in advance for *any information.

JAS

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5880 (20110216) __________

http://www.eset.com

Depending on power supply, that will determine the wiring requirement.
I wire up my own
using Cree warm white led's. I can't stand bluish, which most are.

Here are some components for wiring cabinets. Buying your own you need
to know the specs first.
I would not even use connectors. There are a zillion types.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ni_tubes. htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
"John Simpson" wrote in
:

[...]

Google is your friend! LED under-cabinet lighting

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5880 (20110216) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I did run across that site in my travels. The prices are
reasonable, too.
JAS

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5880 (20110216) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:41:32 -0500, "John Simpson"
wrote:

Depending on power supply, that will determine the wiring requirement.
I wire up my own
using Cree warm white led's. I can't stand bluish, which most are.

Here are some components for wiring cabinets. Buying your own you need
to know the specs first.
I would not even use connectors. There are a zillion types.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ni_tubes. htm

Thanks. I did run across that site in my travels. The prices are
reasonable, too.
JAS

You get what you pay for. I am not familiar with that product, but
for less than $10 I wouldn't expect much. I installed several of the
Direct Wire units from Kichler and am very happy with them. It will
cost a lot more than the above lights.

http://www.kichler.com/consumer.port...=products_page

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Depending on power supply, that will determine the wiring requirement.
I wire up my own
using Cree warm white led's. I can't stand bluish, which most are.

Here are some components for wiring cabinets. Buying your own you need
to know the specs first.
I would not even use connectors. There are a zillion types.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ni_tubes. htm

Thanks. I did run across that site in my travels. The prices are
reasonable, too.
JAS

You get what you pay for. I am not familiar with that product, but
for less than $10 I wouldn't expect much. I installed several of the
Direct Wire units from Kichler and am very happy with them. It will
cost a lot more than the above lights.

Oops, bad link. Try this one:

http://www.kichler.com/consumer/sear...eSearch/search
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2/16/2011 7:32 AM, John Simpson wrote:
The wife decided that she wants LED under-cabinet lighting under
the four cabinets. I've found the fixtures and power supply online,
but the interconnecting wiring has me confused. I've found various
lengths cables with molded connectors (outrageously priced), but
what I want to do is buy wire and connectors and make them up
myself because a couple of the runs are long, and I don't want to
have to drill holes big enough to pass a connector through.

Are these special connectors? Are they available on line? What gauge
wire do I need to use?

I would not use connectors.

Buy LED light strips from dealextreme, i.e.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/12v-30-led-light-strip-50cm-white-11306
and just solder all the connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Simpson" wrote in message
The wife decided that she wants LED under-cabinet lighting under
the four cabinets. I've found the fixtures and power supply online,
but the interconnecting wiring has me confused. I've found various
lengths cables with molded connectors (outrageously priced), but
what I want to do is buy wire and connectors and make them up
myself because a couple of the runs are long, and I don't want to
have to drill holes big enough to pass a connector through.

Are these special connectors? Are they available on line? What gauge
wire do I need to use?

Thanks in advance for any information.

JAS

Thanks to some of the replies, I think my light has finally come on! What
I didn't realize was that some brands of fixtures can be direct wired
without having to use connectors. That certainly solves the problem.

Thanks!

JAS

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5881 (20110216) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:

I'm looking for LED undercabinet lights as well. What was it you
found? More info may help with your question, too!

Consider a few free HF flashlights. Hacksaw off the heads glue the heads
into a 1x2 having suitable sized holes.

Solder the lights to the leads of a 4.5vdc wall-wart. Mount the whole
shebang under the cabinets.

The trick is to getting them to turn off and on. I didn't have a clapper, so
I climbed into the attic and tapped into the overhead lighting with wires
leading to an outlet mounted high on the wall under the cabinets. I then
used my imprinting device to concoct a "SWITCHED" sign to put on the outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message
On 2/16/2011 7:32 AM, John Simpson wrote:
The wife decided that she wants LED under-cabinet lighting under
the four cabinets. I've found the fixtures and power supply online,
but the interconnecting wiring has me confused. I've found various
lengths cables with molded connectors (outrageously priced), but
what I want to do is buy wire and connectors and make them up
myself because a couple of the runs are long, and I don't want to
have to drill holes big enough to pass a connector through.

Are these special connectors? Are they available on line? What gauge
wire do I need to use?

I would not use connectors.

Buy LED light strips from dealextreme, i.e.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/12v-30-led-light-strip-50cm-white-11306 and
just solder all the connections.

Would it be acceptable to remove existing connectors from the
fixtures and hard wire them?

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5887 (20110218) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

At illuminolighting.com we make the best custom cut Under cabinet lighting. We build them specially for you in 1-2 days.
Our lights have an output of 1500 lumens per meter and a really high Color Accuracy (CRI)

under cabinet lighting Arkadiy Home Repair 20 June 25th 07 06:50 PM
under cabinet lighting [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 8th 06 09:23 PM
Need Help With Under Cabinet Lighting armagh13 Home Repair 8 March 3rd 06 06:17 PM
Cabinet lighting Peter Ashby UK diy 3 July 10th 05 11:27 PM
Under Cabinet Lighting. Louis Frolio Home Ownership 3 October 25th 04 04:20 PM