Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tenant handyman rate

My tenant and I are considering some projects that he would complete
-- laminate/tile kitchen flooring, countertops (Formica) and
fixtures.

In exchange for rent, what's a good hourly rate to consider?

flooring -- 250 sq feet
countertop -- 200" total in 3 parts
fixtures - kitchen sink/faucet

I'm mostly looking for labor estimates, but if anyone has thoughts on
materials, chime in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"woodchuck" wrote in message
My tenant and I are considering some projects that he would complete
-- laminate/tile kitchen flooring, countertops (Formica) and
fixtures.

In exchange for rent, what's a good hourly rate to consider?

flooring -- 250 sq feet
countertop -- 200" total in 3 parts
fixtures - kitchen sink/faucet

I'm mostly looking for labor estimates, but if anyone has thoughts on
materials, chime in.

I pay my resident handyman $25 per hour for work above common maintenance in
addition to a one bedroom apartment with all bills paid. He's damn good.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"woodchuck" wrote in message
My tenant and I are considering some projects that he would complete
-- laminate/tile kitchen flooring, countertops (Formica) and
fixtures.

In exchange for rent, what's a good hourly rate to consider?

flooring -- 250 sq feet
countertop -- 200" total in 3 parts
fixtures - kitchen sink/faucet

I'm mostly looking for labor estimates, but if anyone has thoughts on
materials, chime in.

With 35 years in the rental business I will offer that the deals seldom work
out without at least one party being unhappy.

If you feel the need to proceed it should be "by the job", labor only. Let
him price it and you agree or disagree. Hourly is an invitation to all
kinds of problems.

Good luck and best wishes whatever you choose.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Best advice I've heard in years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

With 35 years in the rental business I will offer that the
deals seldom work
out without at least one party being unhappy.

If you feel the need to proceed it should be "by the job",
labor only. Let
him price it and you agree or disagree. Hourly is an
invitation to all
kinds of problems.

Good luck and best wishes whatever you choose.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2011 8:02 PM, Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
My tenant and I are considering some projects that he would complete
-- laminate/tile kitchen flooring, countertops (Formica) and
fixtures.

In exchange for rent, what's a good hourly rate to consider?

flooring -- 250 sq feet
countertop -- 200" total in 3 parts
fixtures - kitchen sink/faucet

I'm mostly looking for labor estimates, but if anyone has thoughts on
materials, chime in.

With 35 years in the rental business I will offer that the deals seldom work
out without at least one party being unhappy.

If you feel the need to proceed it should be "by the job", labor only. Let
him price it and you agree or disagree. Hourly is an invitation to all
kinds of problems.

Good luck and best wishes whatever you choose.

Colbyt

I mostly agree, but with the added question, are these 'needed repairs'
or 'upgrades'? If the latter, telling him you won't jack the rent till
he leaves, should count for something.

The few times my family found themselves renting out property, any
changes were at request of tenant. If we had a warm fuzzy about their
skill set, deal was materials plus incidental expenses would be deducted
from the rent. Incidental expenses included them hiring pro
installation. (Small towns, nobody worried about only working for the
actual owner.)

Note that ya still gotta pay taxes on the imputed rent- you simply got
labor instead of part of the cash. IRS probably wants it documented as
barter labor, but if you mark it down as rent paid in full that month,
odds are nobody will ever question it.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

woodchuck wrote:
My tenant and I are considering some projects that he would complete
-- laminate/tile kitchen flooring, countertops (Formica) and
fixtures.

In exchange for rent, what's a good hourly rate to consider?

flooring -- 250 sq feet
countertop -- 200" total in 3 parts
fixtures - kitchen sink/faucet

I'm mostly looking for labor estimates, but if anyone has thoughts on
materials, chime in.

Common: You supply the materials, he supplies the labor.

After the project, it's like prostitution: You've got it, he uses it, you've
still got it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 11:30*am, woodchuck wrote:
My tenant and I are considering some projects that he would complete
-- laminate/tile kitchen flooring, countertops (Formica) and
fixtures.

In exchange for rent, what's a good hourly rate to consider?

flooring -- 250 sq feet
countertop -- 200" total in 3 parts
fixtures - kitchen sink/faucet

I'm mostly looking for labor estimates, but if anyone has thoughts on
materials, chime in.

I agree with many others on this one. Agree on a fair price for the
job at the start. When he's done inspect it and then deduct it form
the rent. Start with something smaller and if it doesn't work out it
won't be painful and you can chalk it up as a learning experience.