DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New Dimmer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/317643-new-dimmer.html)

Charlie[_7_] January 23rd 11 05:04 PM

New Dimmer

Today's newspaper had an ad for light dimmers that claim to work with all
types of lamps.

Here's a piece from their web site.

Dimming saves energy while setting the right light level to improve mood and
ambiance. Screw-in compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and screw-in light
emitting diode bulbs (LEDs) are a great energy-saving alternative to
incandescent or halogen light sources; however, dimming them may be
difficult. Lutron's new CFL.LED (C.LT) Dimmers with HEDT Technology help
alleviate your CFL and LED dimming challenges.

The site itself is at
http://www.lutron.com/Education-Trai...LsandLEDs.aspx

Has any one had the chance to try one? Are they showing up in the B B
stores? Ads are one thing, but personal experience is more important.

I have no conection with Lutron except for a couple of old dimmers that
have been in service for a long time

Charlie

Joe January 23rd 11 07:36 PM

New Dimmer

The site itself is *athttp://www.lutron.com/Education-Training/LCE/Pages/DimmingCFLsandLEDs...

Has any one had the chance to try one? * Are they showing up in the B B
stores? Ads are one thing, but personal experience is more important.

I have no conection with *Lutron except for a couple of old dimmers that
have been in service for a long time

Charlie

Lutron is a major manufacturer of dimmers and such, so odds are their
products will work as advertised. Since a lot of tricky engineering
(and possibly manufacturing) went into the products, expect the price
to be a bit rather higher than most.

Joe

IGot2P[_2_] January 23rd 11 09:18 PM

New Dimmer

On 1/23/2011 1:36 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 23, 11:04 am, wrote:
[...]

$30 for the wall mount and $13 for the inline model at
http://tinyurl.com/4aql5ug on Lowes site.

Don

hr(bob) [email protected] January 23rd 11 09:34 PM

New Dimmer

On Jan 23, 3:18*pm, IGot2P wrote:
On 1/23/2011 1:36 PM, Joe wrote:

On Jan 23, 11:04 am, *wrote:
[...]

Don- Hide quoted text -

I didn't see anywhere where they claimed that the dimmer could be used
with ordinary (non-dimmable rated) CFLs. They just said that lamps
could be dimmed closer to zero and that they would have less flicker.
I think if they could be used with ordinary CFLs they would have made
that a big advertising issue. I know I would if it were my product.

Charlie[_7_] January 23rd 11 09:55 PM

New Dimmer

"IGot2P" wrote in message
On 1/23/2011 1:36 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 23, 11:04 am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Don.
I looked at Lowes before but those didn't show up on my search.
I also noticed no reviews yet. I'll wait and see. I don't like being first
on a new device.
The prices aren't that bad if all the claims are true. We have a hanging
lamp on a dimmer that we use as a night light when we go out and I don't
know how long my stock of incandescents will last.

Charlie

Charlie[_7_] January 23rd 11 09:57 PM

New Dimmer

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Jan 23, 3:18 pm, IGot2P wrote:
On 1/23/2011 1:36 PM, Joe wrote:

On Jan 23, 11:04 am, wrote:
[...]

Web site gives a list of Lutron approve lamps. Must be marked "dimmable".

Charlie

hr(bob) [email protected] January 23rd 11 10:40 PM

New Dimmer

On Jan 23, 3:57*pm, "Charlie" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Jan 23, 3:18 pm, IGot2P wrote:

On 1/23/2011 1:36 PM, Joe wrote:

On Jan 23, 11:04 am, wrote:
[...]

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

Oh Yeah, I looked more closely and saw that that they do say
"dimmable" a couple of places, but noticeably not on the pages where
they show "approved" lamps.