Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A good household air freshener / deoderant

With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household
odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. I'm
looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air fresheners,
deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the grocery store
stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some folks I know like Febreze. Sold in Walmart,
near the other air fresheners. I'd suggest you buy
a can or bottle of each. Try each one for a week,
and settle on what works.

Also visit the auto secton of Walmart. Look for a
blue and white striped can called OZIUM and try
that. Give it a very brief squirt when you get home,
the stuff is very powerful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in message
. ..
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get
opened much and household odors accumulate;
cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors,
etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for
room deodorizers, air fresheners, deodorants,
candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the
grocery store stuff without being very satisfied.
Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things
worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh
clean smelling house like one gets in the springtime
when doors and windows are open. I know that's
probably not completely possible, but you see
what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:

With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household
odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. I'm
looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air fresheners,
deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the grocery store
stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

Search "Heat recovery ventilator".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household
odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. I'm
looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air fresheners,
deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the grocery store
stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

Try to get a heat-exchanger, and improve your ventilation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in message
. ..
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and
household odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors,
etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air
fresheners, deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the
grocery store stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather
strong and nearly objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking
about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

1) Is your stove located on an outside wall? Plan on installing a
through-wall fan to the outside when the weather's good for making large
holes in the house.

2) Get rid of the dog. In more highly developed countries, they think we're
weird for keeping outdoor animals in the house. They're right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and
household odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors,
etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air
fresheners, deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the
grocery store stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather
strong and nearly objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling
house like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open.
I know that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm
talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

There is a website called Wacky Uses. One of their suggestions is
a bar of Irish Spring soap. Another old trick is baking soda.
Then there is stuff like this: http://tinyurl.com/35d75ra.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 4:49*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household
odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. *I'm
looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air fresheners,
deodorants, candles, or whatever. *We have tried some of the grocery store
stuff without being very satisfied. *Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. *I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

OZONE GENERATOR. follow directions on device

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 15, 3:49*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household
odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. *I'm
looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air fresheners,
deodorants, candles, or whatever. *We have tried some of the grocery store
stuff without being very satisfied. *Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. *I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

A simmering pot of water with orange peels, whole cloves, and a few
cinnamon sticks. Re-add water as necessary. Real spices smell much
better than artificial scents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2011 3:49 PM, Bob-tx wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and
household odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors,
etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air
fresheners, deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the
grocery store stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather
strong and nearly objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling
house like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. I
know that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm
talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

Ace odor neutralizer is sold by HVAC supply houses including Johnstone
Supply if there is a branch in your area. The product is in what is like
a small paint can that you pry the lid off. The open can is placed in
the return air of your HVAC system where is helps neutralize odors.

http://www.atlanticchemical.com/product.php?pid=56

I've had good luck with the product in situations where a customer has
foul smelling air from the HVAC system.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in message
. ..
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and
household odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors,
etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air
fresheners, deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the
grocery store stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather
strong and nearly objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking
about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

There is a spray called "What Odor?" available mail order, Amazon, etc. It
really eliminates the odor, not just cover it up. It does have an odor of
its own for a few minutes, then all odor is gone.

Next would be to consider a dietary change. Less cabbage, beans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 1:49*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household
odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. *I'm
looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air fresheners,
deodorants, candles, or whatever. *We have tried some of the grocery store
stuff without being very satisfied. *Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. *I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

If you just want to cove-up an odor then the best deodorizer is
bamboo.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&b... eff2cb3483b33

Don’t let anyone tell you it’s something, else they don’t know what
they’re talking about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

we just like a fresh clean smelling house

"clean" has NO odor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 15, 4:49 pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and
household odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom
odors, etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for room
deodorizers, air fresheners, deodorants, candles, or whatever. We
have tried some of the grocery store stuff without being very
satisfied. Some put out rather strong and nearly objectionable
odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling
house like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are
open. I know that's probably not completely possible, but you see
what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

OZONE GENERATOR. follow directions on device

Second that. We have an Ozone generator over the cat boxes. House continues
to smell like the fresh air after a thunderstorm.

On a related matter, why are my cats turning white?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 6:12*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 15, 4:49*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household
odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. *I'm
looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air fresheners,
deodorants, candles, or whatever. *We have tried some of the grocery store
stuff without being very satisfied. *Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. *I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

OZONE GENERATOR. follow directions on device

Jimmie

Anybody that recomends O3 generators has not spent any time learning
of 03s serious dangers, why dont you do some googling, 03 is even
exposure rated by at least 8 US gov agencies. Any self induced
exposure to extra 03 is dumb for you health. It messed me up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2011 4:49 PM, Bob-tx wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and
household odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors,
etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air
fresheners, deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the
grocery store stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather
strong and nearly objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling
house like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. I
know that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm
talking about.

Get an air cleaner (or several) that has an activated carbon filter.

Something like this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...u=B00 0BX1VMM

Not all air cleaners remove odors, only the ones with carbon.

Jeff

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2011 4:49 PM, Bob-tx wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and
household odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors,
etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air
fresheners, deodorants, candles, or whatever. We have tried some of the
grocery store stuff without being very satisfied. Some put out rather
strong and nearly objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling
house like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. I
know that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm
talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Bob-tx

I use fresh air from outside. Air fresheners are basically air
polluters spewing all kinds of chemicals into your air to trick your
nose and brain into thinking it smells nice. Like others said, use
ventilation/heat exchangers. I have already gone around the house
squeezing orange peels to release their oils. I like the smell of oranges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2011 10:32 AM, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

Agreed. Short of major alterations to the HVAC system, best and safest
answer is to man up and ventilate the place manually. Turn the furnace
off, open front and rear doors, and place a box fan pointing out in an
open window on the other side of the house. Half an hour will do it. Dog
won't care, do it while the wife is out shopping. As long as you don't
leave the furnace off long enough for the stuff the house is built out
of to freeze, furnace will replace the cold air with warm air in a few
minute once you close things back up and turn furnace on.

We did this routinely when I was a kid when cooking or smoking odors got
too bad to stand, or the house got a musty smell from being closed up
during trips.

Oh, and if you can't bear to put the dog outside to live, give it a
bath. That alone makes a big difference. At the risk of annoying dog
lovers, I consider them livestock. I like dogs just fine, but they do
stink. I'd never own one unless I could give it suitable separate
weather-proof living quarters, somebody to talk to during the day, and
had enough time to socialize with it outside on a daily basis. I agree
that people who have just the one dog and leave it outside 24/7 are
being cruel- they are very social animals, and need interaction with a 4
and/or 2 legged pack, to not go crazy.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 15, 3:49*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

snip

Have you tried Febreze?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Too much carbon monoxide in the air?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Second that. We have an Ozone generator over the cat boxes.
House continues
to smell like the fresh air after a thunderstorm.

On a related matter, why are my cats turning white?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please provide some more details.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley" wrote in message

OZONE GENERATOR. follow directions on device

Jimmie

Anybody that recomends O3 generators has not spent any time
learning
of 03s serious dangers, why dont you do some googling, 03 is
even
exposure rated by at least 8 US gov agencies. Any self
induced
exposure to extra 03 is dumb for you health. It messed me
up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

we just like a fresh clean smelling house

"clean" has NO odor.

That's rude. But correct. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 16, 12:15*pm, aemeijers wrote:

Oh, and if you can't bear to put the dog outside to live, give it a
bath. That alone makes a big difference. At the risk of annoying dog
lovers, I consider them livestock. I like dogs just fine, but they do
stink.

Neighbor has several dogs that love to roll in anything smelly; well
dead animals, cow crap, rotten veggies, etc. Guess they think it
smells better than human odor. Their house dog once rolled in pig
****, they let it inside, smelled the odor, tried to catch the dog to
throw it back outside, the dog thought they were playing and jumped on
all the furniture and ran through the whole house before it was
evicted. I liked to have died laughing!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 12:15 pm, aemeijers wrote:

Oh, and if you can't bear to put the dog outside to live, give it a
bath. That alone makes a big difference. At the risk of annoying dog
lovers, I consider them livestock. I like dogs just fine, but they do
stink.

Neighbor has several dogs that love to roll in anything smelly; well
dead animals, cow crap, rotten veggies, etc. Guess they think it
smells better than human odor. Their house dog once rolled in pig
****, they let it inside, smelled the odor, tried to catch the dog to
throw it back outside, the dog thought they were playing and jumped on
all the furniture and ran through the whole house before it was
evicted. I liked to have died laughing!

=====================

If this happened to the vast majority of dog owners, they would learn
NOTHING from it, and might even procure ANOTHER dog to double the odds of
this mishap recurring.

That's how dog owners a Confused.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2011 3:24 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
On Jan 16, 12:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

Dogs have superior social skills, they are pack animals, and that lets
them get away with a lot from most owners. I'm thinking of my friends
that have dogs and how much trouble it is to own a dog, how much time it
takes.
I had superbly trained off leash trained dogs, and yet when they
died, life was so much easier. Dogs will take every inch you allow.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jan 15, 6:12 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Most folks, however, do not has as sensitive nature as you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 4:49*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household
odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. *I'm
looking for some good suggestions for room deodorizers, air fresheners,
deodorants, candles, or whatever. *We have tried some of the grocery store
stuff without being very satisfied. *Some put out rather strong and nearly
objectionable odors, almost making things worse.

I'm not saying we stink (smile), we just like a fresh clean smelling house
like one gets in the springtime when doors and windows are open. *I know
that's probably not completely possible, but you see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

How cold is it where you live? Up here in Michigan, anytime it gets
up to 40 in the wintertime we're apt to open the windows for a while
and let the house air out. Maybe for just an hour or two, maybe for
half a day--depends on the wind speed.

Doesn't happen very often, granted, but at least once a month
we get a warm spell like that. Then DH says, "Let's blow the
farts out of the house!"

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2011 11:48 AM, A. Baum wrote:
[...]

Glade Plugins. Cheap and effective for a month.

They only contribute to air pollution and fool your nose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
How cold is it where you live? Up here in Michigan, anytime it gets
up to 40 in the wintertime we're apt to open the windows for a while
and let the house air out. Maybe for just an hour or two, maybe for
half a day--depends on the wind speed.

Doesn't happen very often, granted, but at least once a month
we get a warm spell like that. Then DH says, "Let's blow the
farts out of the house!"

Cindy Hamilton

Central Texas, gets pretty cold (for us anyway) perhaps several times a
winter. I'd average is about 40 for low, high fifties for high. Gets
colder though - below freezing at least a couple times most years. Also get
warm occasionally mid to high seventies; when that happens, it is warm
enough to open the house for a little bit.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The normal approach to this problem is to eliminate the odor sources which
are not necessary to sustain life. You obviously can't eliminate food, but
you could get the livestock out of the house.

Although I don't believe fan hoods work very well, some people feel they
help. Apparently, some have charcoal filters or something. Have your carpets
& furniture cleaned. Keep the livestock off the furniture.

By the way, 40 degrees is not too cold for opening windows. The objects in
the house aren't going to get that cold in 1/2 hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 7:52*am, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

How cold is it where you live? *Up here in Michigan, anytime it gets
up to 40 in the wintertime we're apt to open the windows for a while
and let the house air out. * Maybe for just an hour or two, maybe for
half a day--depends on the wind speed.

Doesn't happen very often, granted, but at least once a month
we get a warm spell like that. *Then DH says, "Let's blow the
farts out of the house!"

Cindy Hamilton

Central Texas, gets pretty cold (for us anyway) perhaps several times a
winter. *I'd average is about 40 for low, high fifties for high. *Gets
colder though - below freezing at least a couple times most years. *Also get
warm occasionally mid to high seventies; when that happens, it is warm
enough to open the house for a little bit.

Bob-tx

I guess it's all relative. I was out grilling chicken in 16 F weather
on Sunday. In the 50s, we don't even turn on the furnace.

Of course, when it's 40 for a daytime high and we do air out the
house, we've got a fairly powerful furnace to restore the indoor
temp to 70.

Cindy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy wrote in message
[...]

Mine works well. It vents outside. The charcoal filter ones are a joke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy wrote in message
[...]

There ought to be a law requiring builders and architects to ask home buyers
in writing "Do you want a fan which vents to the outside? Do you realize the
other types are illogical and ineffective?"

There's a long list of other disclosures I can think of. "Would you like
your toilet so close to the wall on either side that no standard mop will
fit in between?" "Would you like so much blacktop on the property that it
practically negates the effectiveness of your air conditioning?" "Would you
like all the trees removed for no particular reason?"

(household) appliances D Yuniskis Electronics Repair 5 October 18th 10 04:12 PM
Household Grease Martin[_2_] UK diy 11 August 19th 07 03:32 PM
Household AC Ventilation bigb Home Repair 1 May 9th 07 06:34 PM
Household recycling Chris Home Ownership 37 January 7th 07 03:19 AM
Household plumbing insurance cover - any good ? [email protected] UK diy 4 January 3rd 07 04:52 PM