Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Arborvitae/Fence Question??

Hi All,

Here is a question which I hope is simple for someone to answer? When
planting arborvitaes near a wooden stockade fence, how far back from the
fence should you plant the arborvitaes if you want to leave room for
trimming the arborvitaes, maintaining the fence, raking leaves behind
the arborvitaes, etc, etc.

On the property line with our neighbors, we have a 6 foot high stockade
fence running all the way down the property line, In the Spring, we
would like to plant some arborvitaes all the way down the fence line,
for some added privacy.

I know that you don't want to plant the arborvitaes right up against the
fence, because what if you need to paint the fence, fix the fence, trim
the arborvitaes, etc, etc, so what is a good distance to plant them from
the fence?? 1 or 2 feet away?? 3 or 4 feet away??

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Arborvitae/Fence Question?? Also.....

We are probably going to plant either the "Emerald Green" or "Dark
Green" variety of arborvitaes. The "Emeralds" say to plant 2-3 feet
apart, and the "Dark Greens" say to plant 3-4 feet apart. So is this how
far back they should be planted back from the fence as well??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 10:06*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
We are probably going to plant either the "Emerald Green" or "Dark
Green" variety of arborvitaes. The "Emeralds" say to plant 2-3 feet
apart, and the "Dark Greens" say to plant 3-4 feet apart. So is this how
far back they should be planted back from the fence as well??

A quick google of: arborvitae emerald green spread
yielded one estimate of the spread of a mature specimen
at four feet. Half that is two feet. Figure out how much
space you'll need for fence maintenance, etc., and add
two feet.

I might like three feet for maintenance (because
I'm clumsy and have a big butt), so the center of your
planting hole might want to be five feet from the fence.
You might get away with a little less; you can squish
backward into the arborvitae while you paint your fence.

Arborvitae require little or no pruning; that's one of their best
features.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

I planted mine about 2 feet away from the PVC fence and so far no
problems. That was 5 years ago when they were 3 feet tall.
Most of them are about 8 feet tall today.
However, as far as planting one next to each other, I spaced them out
3 feet to make them look evenly spaced out and it looks nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 9:06*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
We are probably going to plant either the "Emerald Green" or "Dark
Green" variety of arborvitaes. The "Emeralds" say to plant 2-3 feet
apart, and the "Dark Greens" say to plant 3-4 feet apart. So is this how
far back they should be planted back from the fence as well??

So the dark green grows 4ft wide, You need 3-4 ft space to paint so I
would plant it 5-6ft back

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Arborvitae/Fence Question?? Also..... ( Mike )

What type of Arborvitaes do you have in your yard, the "Emerald Green"
ones?? Yeah, I have read that if you want the solid Green wall for
privacy that the "Emerald Green" should be planted no more than 3 feet
apart, and the "Dark Green" no more than 4-5 feet apart, even though I
would probably still plant the "Dark Green" 3-4 feet apart so that you
have that nice Green privacy wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
We are probably going to plant either the "Emerald Green" or "Dark
Green" variety of arborvitaes. The "Emeralds" say to plant 2-3 feet
apart, and the "Dark Greens" say to plant 3-4 feet apart. So is this how
far back they should be planted back from the fence as well??

At least half the expected spread but be aware that most likely they die
back on the fence side for lack of light at least as high as the fence.

These are nice low maintenance plant but that is a weakness they share with
many others.

BTW, trimming is rarely necessary. Cleaning up their droppings is.

Colbyt

arborvitae cj Home Repair 4 August 30th 10 05:07 PM
Fence question Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 12 March 24th 07 04:21 AM
Fence Question Corinne Home Repair 20 July 6th 05 09:45 PM
correct sprinklers for arborvitae Mikepier Home Repair 3 March 30th 05 07:03 PM