DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Spray painting speaker grills (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/315909-spray-painting-speaker-grills.html)

Sam Takoy[_2_] December 24th 10 08:04 AM

Spray painting speaker grills

Hi,

I have bought white paintable in-wall speakers.

I would like to spray paint them now, but I'm worried about the paint
clogging the grilles. Any word of advice here? Like, spray from a few
more inches away. Or move across more quickly to achieve thinner coats.
Or, don't do it!

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

jim December 24th 10 12:05 PM

On Dec 24, 5:04*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have bought white paintable in-wall speakers.

I would like to spray paint them now, but I'm worried about the paint
clogging the grilles. Any word of advice here? *Like, spray from a few
more inches away. Or move across more quickly to achieve thinner coats.
Or, don't do it!

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

I spray painted with a latex (thinned the first coat) and went over it
ever so slightly with the air gun attachment on my compressor right
after. The holes opened right up and the result was ' factory'. I
would assume a can of compressed air would do the same.

Nate Nagel December 24th 10 12:57 PM

On 12/24/2010 03:04 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have bought white paintable in-wall speakers.

I would like to spray paint them now, but I'm worried about the paint
clogging the grilles. Any word of advice here? Like, spray from a few
more inches away. Or move across more quickly to achieve thinner coats.
Or, don't do it!

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

I'd use Krylon or similar, not house paint fed through a sprayer.

I've had to spray paint some metal speaker grilles while restoring old
cars (think of the ones in the middle of the dash on 60's and earlier
cars) and yes you do have to be a little careful about not getting the
paint on too thick, but if you get any filled holes, you can take a
toothpick and poke through them.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Pete C. December 24th 10 02:33 PM

Nate Nagel wrote:

On 12/24/2010 03:04 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have bought white paintable in-wall speakers.

I would like to spray paint them now, but I'm worried about the paint
clogging the grilles. Any word of advice here? Like, spray from a few
more inches away. Or move across more quickly to achieve thinner coats.
Or, don't do it!

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

I'd use Krylon or similar, not house paint fed through a sprayer.

I've had to spray paint some metal speaker grilles while restoring old
cars (think of the ones in the middle of the dash on 60's and earlier
cars) and yes you do have to be a little careful about not getting the
paint on too thick, but if you get any filled holes, you can take a
toothpick and poke through them.

Blowing compressed air through it from the backside immediately after
spraying should open any clogged holes while the paint is still wet and
will flow away properly.

Bob F December 24th 10 07:44 PM

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have bought white paintable in-wall speakers.

I would like to spray paint them now, but I'm worried about the paint clogging
the grilles. Any word of advice here? Like, spray from a few more inches
away. Or move across more quickly to achieve thinner coats. Or, don't do it!

I would use automotive touch up spray paint for that job, lightly applied each
coat.