Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rayovac batteries - leak problems?

On 1/18/2015 1:44 PM, whealerman wrote:

Ray-O-Vac batteries are the most leaky of any battery I've come across.

I caught some sales and used coupons, so bought
more batteries than I needed for a while. I've
had Harbor Freight AA cells (alkalines) leak in
the package.

Have also had several packages of Rayovac
D cells leak, new in he package.

Also had some Energizers leak.

Some people swear by Duracell. their six volt
square battery with the spring terminals
contains four D cells. Know this cause I've
pulled two of them apart. In both cases, one
D cell was dead, the other three were fine.

All three batteries, the company was very nice
about replacing them. One confirmed the codes
on the cells, and mailed out replacement cells.
Another sent a bunch of coupons. HF let me swap
em out for a new package of cells.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jan Philips, Raymond wrote:
I've had the same problem. Totally ruined my Maglite D cell flashlight and
the AA cells leaked in two of my Fenix LED flashlights. I managed to save
them at least. Just threw all my remaining RayOVac batteries in the trash and
picked up some Duracells.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ms-609583-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/25/2016 04:44 AM, Raymond wrote:
replying to Jan Philips, Raymond wrote:
I've had the same problem. Totally ruined my Maglite D cell flashlight and
the AA cells leaked in two of my Fenix LED flashlights. I managed to save
them at least. Just threw all my remaining RayOVac batteries in the trash and
picked up some Duracells.

Duracells will leak too after they are partially discharged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/25/2016 7:19 AM, Tony wrote:
On 03/25/2016 04:44 AM, Raymond wrote:
replying to Jan Philips, Raymond wrote:
I've had the same problem. Totally ruined my Maglite D cell
flashlight and
the AA cells leaked in two of my Fenix LED flashlights. I managed to
save
them at least. Just threw all my remaining RayOVac batteries in the
trash and
picked up some Duracells.

Duracells will leak too after they are partially discharged.

IIRC, I had some Duracell D size batteries leak,
new in the package. Quality of every thing is gone
to naught. I've also had Rayovac D cells leak,
also new in the package. And had Energizers leak.
Again, new in the package.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 05:19:40 -0600, Tony wrote:

On 03/25/2016 04:44 AM, Raymond wrote:
replying to Jan Philips, Raymond wrote:
I've had the same problem. Totally ruined my Maglite D cell flashlight and
the AA cells leaked in two of my Fenix LED flashlights. I managed to save
them at least. Just threw all my remaining RayOVac batteries in the trash and
picked up some Duracells.

Duracells will leak too after they are partially discharged.

This was probably posted many years ago, and was posted by someone
spamming to promote Duracell!

The quality of Homeowners Hub's ancient reposts is really going down the
****ter lately....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 10:44:01 +0000, Raymond
wrote:

replying to Jan Philips, Raymond wrote:
I've had the same problem. Totally ruined my Maglite D cell flashlight and
the AA cells leaked in two of my Fenix LED flashlights. I managed to save
them at least. Just threw all my remaining RayOVac batteries in the trash and
picked up some Duracells.

Strange thing is the only "brand name" battery I have had leak at all
in the last 10 years was a "coppertop". Just a wee bit of green/white
fuzz on both ends. No swelling - and easily cleaned up.

The secret, I guess, is to NEVER leave batteries in anything
un-attended for any lenth of time.
I also had a set of off-brand original equipment batteries in a TV
remote leak. The TV is 4 years old and one day the remote (used daily)
just stopped working. I pulled the batteries and they were both
leaking (again- just a bit of green/white fuzz on both ends)
Both sets of leakers were aaa size.

I've also had a couple of coin batteries "leak" the same way. All have
been at least 3 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 08:11:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/25/2016 7:19 AM, Tony wrote:
On 03/25/2016 04:44 AM, Raymond wrote:
replying to Jan Philips, Raymond wrote:
I've had the same problem. Totally ruined my Maglite D cell
flashlight and
the AA cells leaked in two of my Fenix LED flashlights. I managed to
save
them at least. Just threw all my remaining RayOVac batteries in the
trash and
picked up some Duracells.

Duracells will leak too after they are partially discharged.

IIRC, I had some Duracell D size batteries leak,
new in the package. Quality of every thing is gone
to naught. I've also had Rayovac D cells leak,
also new in the package. And had Energizers leak.
Again, new in the package.

What was the expiry date on the batteries? How long past EOL were
they? I havw a box full of cheap "Chateau" brand non-alkaline
batteries that are over 5 years old (were leftover stock from a
friend's "dollar store" that he closed at least 5 years ago) and NONE
have leaked, and well over 80% tested fully charged when I got them a
year ago. c, d, and 9 volt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I've found the heavy duty cells don't last
very long -- in use, or in storage.

"heavy duty". One of those phrases that used to mean better. Now it's on
the low end.

BTW, I remember the "king size" soft drinks from the sixties. 10 ounce
bottles, smaller than the regular ones now.

There's also "deluxe" in the name of cheap junk.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong; it's like demanding that
grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't eat steak." -Robert
A. Heinlein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 14:32:00 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 13:34:52 -0400,
wrote:

Can't remember, and didn't take any notes. Sorry.

It's been my experience "most" leakers are well past their "best
before" date and/or have been left either significantly discharged or
in high temperature storage conditions for some time. (or possible
suffered a "hard freeze")

I never knew freezing had any effect ? ? ?

From the "battery university" site
Alkaline batteries are easy to store. For best results, keep the cells
at cool room temperature and at a relative humidity of about 50
percent. Do not freeze alkaline cells, or any battery, as this may
change the molecular structure.

From Energizer:
1. Is it a good idea to store batteries in a refrigerator or freezer?

No, storage in a refrigerator or freezer is not required or
recommended for batteries produced today. Cold temperature storage can
in fact harm batteries if condensation results in corroded contacts or
label or seal damage due to extreme temperature storage. To maximize
performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room
temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C) with moderated humidity
levels (35 to 65% RH).

Notice the reference to "seal damage" - which can cause leakage.

From the tool Guyd site:
In general, alkaline batteries perform very poorly in cold weather. As
alkaline batteries are engineered with a water-based electrolyte, cold
near-freezing point temperatures can lead to reduced ion mobility
which slows down the chemical reactions that provide electrical
battery power. This leads to a drop in performance, runtime, or both.

In some cases, cold temperatures can cause alkaline batteries to burst
and leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 09:21:13 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/25/2016 8:27 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 17:36:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon
The articles I've read say pretty much opposite
of what you wrote.

The "heavy duty" carbon zinc Chloride battery is a different animal
than the old zinc carbon/manganese dioxide LeXlanche battery and puts
out about 3 times the capacity, longer life, and less likelihood of
leakage

They have a longer shelf life, but a lower output/in-use life than
alkalines.

I've found for things like flashlights that sit most of their life but
need to work when you need them, Carbon/zinc chloride batteries are
best. For things that are used every day - low current/light duty use
like clocks and remote controls alkalines are better.

Just my experience. And yes - a fresh alkaline will outperform a fresh
"heavy duty" battery when it comes to hours of output from a
flashlight - but put that flashlight away after half an hour of use
and go back to it a year later - - - -

Again, that's backwards of my experience. I've found,
and read, that alkalines have much higher capacity and
much longer shelf life. One time for some thing to do,
I did mix and match alkalines and carbon zincs. I found
alkalines last four times longer. Both in low and high
drain applications.

Well I have a big box of "heavy duty" batteries that have been "on
the shelf" for ofer 5 years and are still in perfect operating
condition......
Posted to alt.home.repair
jt jt is offline

replying to Jan Philips, jt wrote:
Just found this forum. I realize the thread is old but I believe my
experience is relevant.
Last week I tossed the second Mag Lite (3 D cell) flashlight that Rayovac
batteries ruined. This time was a repeat of the first time, the center cell
went bad and leaked and swelled - sort of welded to the flashlight body.
Like the first time, slamming the tube on the top of my workbench eventually
freed the battery but the switch shifts in the process and flashlight was
ruined. Having to pop for another MagLite ****ed me off.

If it was just the 2 flashlights (about 10 years apart) I probably wouldn't be
taking the time to even write this note, but during that time frame there were
other Rayovac leaks - the LED light set, the camera, and the rec room remote
control, and the battery organizer. All had Rayovacs (but at least for those
the damage was not beyond repair and I was able to remove the batteries in
those and clean the equipment up). However, I'm fed up with having to spend
my time to fix problems caused by leaky Rayovac batteries and having to spend
money to replace Mag Lites. Plus I have a bunch of the batteries that I now
afraid to us.

I don't have receipts but I'm disgusted enough that sent a note to Rayovac -
we'll see what they say/do.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ms-609583-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:44:01 +0000, jt
wrote:

[...]

Slow learner??? You have a problem with Ray-O-Vac batteries 10
years ago - you keep buying them - you continue having problems - and
still you buy a large quantity of them AGAIN - and have more problems.

What am I missing here??
How old are the "bunch of the batteries that I now
afraid to use"? Hopefully not from the same brick you started with 10
years ago!!.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:44:01 +0000, jt
wrote in
.com

If it was just the 2 flashlights (about 10 years apart) I probably wouldn't be
taking the time to even write this note, but during that time frame there were
other Rayovac leaks - the LED light set, the camera, and the rec room remote
control, and the battery organizer.

And you keep using Rayovac because that's all you are allowed to buy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 08:13:52 -0500, VinnyB
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:44:01 +0000, jt
m wrote in
s.com

If it was just the 2 flashlights (about 10 years apart) I probably wouldn't be
taking the time to even write this note, but during that time frame there were
other Rayovac leaks - the LED light set, the camera, and the rec room remote
control, and the battery organizer.

And you keep using Rayovac because that's all you are allowed to buy?

No, because they are CHEAP. (although definitely, in his experience,
not inexpensive)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 13, 2010 at 10:29:14 PM UTC-5, Jan Philips wrote:
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I have had 2 flashlights get ruined in the last year from these junk batteries. I bought a frogsleggs from amazon for 20$ and the 2024 date batteries have corrode the whole unit. I am calling Mon. to see what they will do. Back to Duracell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 1:48:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

You're too late. 7 years ago, Jan Philips was kidnapped by giant mutant gerbils from outer space. Air Force jets were unable to catch up with the flying saucer and it's feared that the giant mutant gerbils ate Jan after using him as a sex slave. The gerbils weren't able to figure out if Jan was a male or a female so they mated with him anyway. Giant mutant space gerbils like to play with their food. Jan is survived by a wife, 3 ex-wives, 24 children, 8 dogs, 13 cats, 5 ferrets, a herd of zebra and 469 Earth gerbils. The little Earth gerbils really miss him. It was a tragic horrifying loss for Jan's family. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud Bud is offline

On 1/7/2018 3:42 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
If someone has found a brand of battery that doesn't leak, I would
like to know what it is.

I use NiMHÂ* and/or Lithium-ion rechargeables...no leaks yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin' Norman posted for all of us...

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 11:48:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

All the consumer grade batteries seem to leak over time. I discovered
that Ray-O-Vac is really good about replacing devices damaged by their
leaking batteries.

So far they replaced three damaged, somewhat expensive Petzl brand
headlamps for me.

If someone has found a brand of battery that doesn't leak, I would
like to know what it is.

This discussion is very timely for me. I've just had to replace a bunch of
Duracell batteries because they leak. I've switched to Energizer but to my
observation they don't last as long as Duracell. I never had exceptional
experiences with Rayovac. It's hard to compare quality/life equally because
of the randomness of use. I am slowly going to rechargeable.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jt, Brian Huffman wrote:
I just had a Rayovac battery nearly destroy my Mac's wireless keyboard. I
also had a very expensive flashlight destroyed and I believe that its
batteries came from the same batch of Rayovac's. I am switching to lithium
batteries on expensive items.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ms-609583-.htm