Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Outside Christmas LED Lights -- dull and weak....

Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights. Much
to my surprise, I could not find any REAL lights, just the fake led lights.
I looked at all the big box stores, including Lowe's, Home Depot, and
Target. All I could find was the fake led lights.

So, I bought a set of led lights strings with C7 led lights. 50
lights on a string, total wattage of 3.7 watts. They say these are much
cheaper to run because of the low wattage. But, I have seen that you get
what you pay for. These lights are dull and weak looking.

Does anyone here know of any store that still sells real outside Christmas
lights, or have they all been outlawed too ?

Thanks for any info on where I can purchase non-fake Christmas lights !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"James" wrote in message
net...
Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights.
Much to my surprise, I could not find any REAL lights, just the fake led
lights. I looked at all the big box stores, including Lowe's, Home Depot,
and Target. All I could find was the fake led lights.

So, I bought a set of led lights strings with C7 led lights. 50
lights on a string, total wattage of 3.7 watts. They say these are
much cheaper to run because of the low wattage. But, I have seen that
you get what you pay for. These lights are dull and weak looking.

Does anyone here know of any store that still sells real outside Christmas
lights, or have they all been outlawed too ?

Thanks for any info on where I can purchase non-fake Christmas lights !!

James

How can you even think about using real Christmas tree lights, when some kid
in Nigeria is starving because of the global warming you have caused using
them. Thank God our government has better sense than you do, and seen fit to
outlaw all non energy saving light bulbs.
Oh, wait a minute, there is no actual global warming, and they're going to
repeal that bill? OK, never mind, Merry Christmas

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

RBM, you are an idiot. Christmas lights have nothing to do with starving
kids in Nigeria. If you really think that is true, you are a blooming idiot
!!

AND, I don't need Al Gore to tell me how bright my Christmas lights should
be, or how many gallons of water that I use to flush my crap, another bright
(dim) idea from your idol.

Get a life.

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"James" wrote in message
lnet...
[...]

The ONLY reason some kid in Nigeria is starving is because its moron
mommy didn't have the sense to keep her legs closed.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message
net...

RBM, you are an idiot. Christmas lights have nothing to do with starving
kids in Nigeria. If you really think that is true, you are a blooming idiot
!!

AND, I don't need Al Gore to tell me how bright my Christmas lights should
be, or how many gallons of water that I use to flush my crap, another bright
(dim) idea from your idol.

Get a life.

James

------

James, you do realise that RBM was JOKING, right?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message
net...
RBM, you are an idiot. Christmas lights have nothing to do with starving
kids in Nigeria. If you really think that is true, you are a blooming
idiot
!!

AND, I don't need Al Gore to tell me how bright my Christmas lights
should
be, or how many gallons of water that I use to flush my crap, another
bright
(dim) idea from your idol.

Get a life.

James

Sorry James, I was being humorously sarcastic... or so I thought. I'm on
your side

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in
:

Well, I am red-faced !! If RBM was joking, it went right over my head
!! The problem is, too many folks actually believe what he posted is
true !!

Apologies to you RBM !!!

James

The correct response was a Gilda Radner "Nevermind" :-)
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 12/11/2010 10:37 AM, James wrote:
Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights. Much
to my surprise, I could not find any REAL lights, just the fake led lights.
I looked at all the big box stores, including Lowe's, Home Depot, and
Target. All I could find was the fake led lights.

Large lights have been out of vogue for a while, everyone waned the
minis. The imitation C& and such is all you will commonly find at the
big box.

Try online or a hardware store like Ace:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...5451.125 9050

Jeff

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Will look at Ace Hardware... had not thought of that...

thanks

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

James wrote:

[snip]

So, I bought a set of led lights strings with C7 led lights. 50
lights on a string, total wattage of 3.7 watts. They say these are
much
cheaper to run because of the low wattage. But, I have seen that you get
what you pay for. These lights are dull and weak looking.

I have some of those, and even some C9 LED ones. They have plastic shells,
which contain the same single LED as the miniature ones. They aren't very
bright, although the color is good.

Does anyone here know of any store that still sells real outside Christmas
lights, or have they all been outlawed too ?

The wal-mart here seems to have plenty of REAL C7 and C9 lights (unless
they've sold out by now).

[snip]

--
14 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"I have never understood why the injection area of the skin is wiped
with an alcohol swab prior to execution by lethal injection."
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Miklos wrote:

On 12/11/2010 11:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

Besides the fact that the comment was a sarcastic joke.... The reason is
because their government doesn't pay women that reproduce like rabbits
to raise their children. Here in the US we say "Go ahead and be a lazy
whore. Don't get a job, we will pay to take care of all your children."

Ah, a pair of "crainal-rectally inverted" bookends ;O)

When will you dumb humps figure out that it isn't the poor that is
screwing this country, it is "White Guys in Suits".

Take Obama's tax plan, please.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/us/politics/08impact.html?_r=2&hp
Tax Package Will Aid Nearly All, Especially Highest Earners
" . . .In fact, the only groups likely to face a tax increase are those
near the bottom of the income scale ‹ individuals who make less than
$20,000 and families with earnings below $40,000."
-----

"White Guys in Suits" strike again! So while you guys are sniveling
about the poor, the colored, and the illegals, fat cats are whistling
all the way to the bank.

Who are youguys, some kind of flag-wrapped agent provocateurs, à la
COINTELPRO (slander and murder), trying to misdirect people's attention
attention so that they won't notice that their pockets are being picked?

If you saw "Capitalism: A Love Story", then you also know that many
Mexicans are enticed into this country by meat packers, and others. If
the Mexicans become involved in union organizing, say for safer working
conditions, management just feeds them to ICE and has them deported.

When are yougoing to get it through your thick skulls that
illegals didn't send your jobs over seas? Illegals didn't block raising
oil spill liability from $75 million to $10 billion. Illegals didn't
propose weakening of the provision on derivatives trading in the
financial regulation bill banning Wall Street firms from acting as
brokers for most forms of derivatives trades. Illegals didn't start two
vanity wars costing trillion$ of dollar$ of debt and human suffering.
Illegals didn't change banking laws so that Goldman Sachs, A.I.G., et
al. could rip-off trillion$ from the tax payer's coffers, closing
businesses and throwing people out into the street. It wasn't illegals
who wrote a health care reform law that guaranteed that insurance
companies would make more money, win or lose. Illegals didn't allow
drilling off the southern coast without enviromenmental studies. It
isn't illegals who make cheap, nutritionless faux food for for your
children to eat. Illegals didn't pollute the oceans, doing away with a
free source of food. It isn't illegals who are going to rescind funding
for welfare and children's health programs in California. It isn't
illegals who pollute the air and the water, that tax payers have to
clean up. Illegal aliens don't foul forest streams with mountain top
removal, so that we can belch more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
It isn't illegals that say that the US must have 1000 military bases
around the world and spend half of the world's military budget. It
isn't illegals who stole our national honor at Abu Ghraib and
Guantanamo. It isn't illegals who disregard collateral damage (as
Timothy McVeigh called it) in Pakistan and Afghanistan. It wasn't
illegals that wrote NAFTA, that allows the US to dump tax subsidized
corn on the Mexican market, below the cost of production, resulting in
the loss of Mexican farm jobs and a loss of income to agricultural
families. No, it wasn't illegals. It was
"White Guys in Suits",
so if you have a bone to pick, go pick it with the "White Guys in Suits".

Mexicans lower the cost of living for Americans with low cost house
cleaning, gardening, childcare, and get sick harvesting your pesticide
laden food. No stinkin' "White Guy in a Suit" ever did that for you.
grrrrr

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/05/bu...tml?ex=1270353
600&en=78c87ac4641dc383&ei=5090&partner=kmarx

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/03/year-without-mexican

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/business/29tax.html

http://www.democracynow.org2008/10/17ex_asst_treasury_sec_paul_craig
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 12/11/2010 8:12 AM Brooklyn1 spake thus:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"James" wrote in message
net...

[...]

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, you are a *racist asshole*.

**** off.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/11/2010 8:12 AM Brooklyn1 spake thus:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"James" wrote in message
net...

[...]

Well played :O)

And now for some of the slow learners

August 27, 2000

UV light, skin color linked

Variations due to geography

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO ‹ Two San Francisco scientists using data from a NASA
satellite say they have discovered why people come in different colors.

Variations in human skin color are the result of adaptations to the
amount of ultraviolet light from the sun falling on different regions of
Earth, according to Nina Jablonski and George Chaplin, scientists with
the California Academy of Science.

People's bodies change their skin color over time to let in just the
right amount of UV light, which is key to having healthy babies.

UV light affects the skin's production of folate, part of the B vitamin
complex, and vitamin D-3, both of which are essential for having healthy
children.

Folate is necessary for the proper development of the nervous system in
fetuses and for sperm production in adult males. Vitamin D-3 helps build
and maintain strong bones and a healthy immune system.

But too much solar UV light can not only cause skin cancer, it can also
damage those chemicals, thereby hurting a person's chances for
reproductive success.

The scientists' finding may also explain why women tend to be
lighter-skinned than men. Lighter skin lets in more solar UV light,
increasing a woman's vitamin D-3 production, which helps the fetus grow
during pregnancy and helps nourish newborns through breast feeding.

UV light from the sun varies from region to region for reasons including
latitude, humidity and cloudiness.

Jablonski and Chaplin's discovery isn't entirely new. For a long time,
scientists have thought there was a correlation between UV light and
skin color, and they knew the light helped produce vitamin D and that it
could cause cancer.

"But this explanation was considered weak by some scientists because
skin cancer has little or no effect on people's ability to reproduce,
which is really the bottom line of every evolutionary spreadsheet,"
Jablonski said.

Jablonski developed the hypothesis that links UV light to reproduction
in 1991. The scientists analyzed published measurements of human skin
color from around the world and data from NASA's Total Ozone Mapping
Spectrometer satellite, which orbited Earth from 1978 to 1993 and
gathered direct UV measurements for the entire globe to find the
correlation between skin color and UV light.

Jablonski and Chaplin found that dark skin acts as a natural sunscreen
to help prevent UV light from breaking down folate, so it is helpful in
areas with a lot of sun. But in less sunny areas, dark skin screens out
too much sunlight, and can inhibit the production of vitamin D-3, so
lighter skin is helpful for reproductive success.

Skin color is based on the level of melanin, an organic molecule with an
undetermined chemical structure. Those with more melanin have darker
skin, and melanin levels are genetic. But the variations in skin color
are adaptations to solar UV light, not biological differences among
people, according to Jablonski and Chaplin.

"We're all the same under the skin," Jablonski said.
----

'Nuff said.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

I'm not a big fan of the behavior of some of our African cousins but I'd
like to point out that mommy was probably forcibly raped.

TDD
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2010 3:47 PM Billy spake thus:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/11/2010 8:12 AM Brooklyn1 spake thus:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"James" wrote in message
net...

[...]

[snip article]

Thanks for that.

Just more evidence that the whole idea of "race" when applied to the
human species is pretty much scientifically discredited as being of any
consequence. Yes, there are biological differences between "races"
(e.g., susceptibility to sickle-cell anemia in blacks), but they're
mainly swamped by the overall similarities.

Hell, there was a time when it was widely accepted that different human
"races" couldn't even interbreed. (And not that long ago when it was
widely accepted that they *shouldn't* interbreed ...)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 11, 7:11*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip

Sorry, pretty boring. Try posting at alt.social.justice or some other
progressive site. I would rather discuss home repair/building topics.
Thank you.

Joe
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Dec 11, 11:37*am, "James" wrote:
Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights. Much
to my surprise, I could not find any REAL *lights, just the fake led lights.
I looked at all the big box stores, including Lowe's, Home Depot, and
Target. *All I could find was the fake led lights.

So, I bought a set of *led *lights strings with C7 *led lights. * *50
lights on a string, total wattage of *3.7 watts. * *They say these are much
cheaper to run because of the low wattage. * But, I have seen that you get
what you pay for. * These lights are dull and weak looking.

Does anyone here know of any store that still sells real outside Christmas
lights, or have they all been outlawed too ?

Thanks for any info on where I can purchase non-fake Christmas lights !!

James

Dont know if its the same problem you had but two years ago I put out
some "white" LED lights and they were dull dim yellow in reality. I
discovered this is because they only run on one half of each AC cycle
so they are ON only 50% 0f the time. I corrected this problem using a
bridge rectifer mounted in a quad outlet box. The only problem with
this scheme is that the lights are polarity sensitive and wont come on
at all if plugged in the wrong way(rotate light string plug 180
degrees). Otherwise the lights are much more brighter and vivid.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:04:02 -0500, "James"
wrote:

RBM, you are an idiot. Christmas lights have nothing to do with starving
kids in Nigeria. If you really think that is true, you are a blooming idiot
!!

AND, I don't need Al Gore to tell me how bright my Christmas lights should
be, or how many gallons of water that I use to flush my crap, another bright
(dim) idea from your idol.

They didn't cut back on regular lights because of anything the
government did. They sold some and people bought them out, so they
made a lot more. It's the market system which I thought you
conservatives liked.

OP If you want real lights, I'd look on the web, Google Web or Google
Shopping. Yahoo Shopping, Ebay, and Amazon.

Although often ebay or Amazon items show up in Google web, I think not
all the time and you have to look on them directly.

Get a life.

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Dec 11, 3:57*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, *wrote:

*wrote in message
alnet...
[...]

There is another kind of rape?

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 10:03*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 12/11/2010 11:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, *wrote:

*wrote in message
alnet...
[...]

Sure can tell where he's coming from! It's the "lazy whores" that
reproduce like rabbits -- because they *enjoy* multiple, closely-
spaced pregnancies (which our correspondent will never experience)
with all that entails.

In fact, many of these women, mostly in "developing countries" (= poor
and undemocratic) are at the mercy of the men who "own" them. They
cannot decide whether to have children; cannot refuse sex with their
partners, and cannot require them to wear protection against
pregnancy and STDs. Result: In Africa, for example, MOST of the HIV
positive and full-blown AIDS cases are *women* who got the disease
from their sex partners -- or rapists.

In the U.S. it is the poor, ignorant, and hopeless women who
"reproduce like rabbits" almost entirely against their will. This
poster is so removed from the reality of their lives, one would wish
he could be reincarnated as a poor, ignorant woman who, if she is
lucky enough to get a minimum wage **** job, has to take two or three
busses to work; has to find someone to take care of her children; has
to come home half-dead and cook and clean and care for the children.
Next day, same routine. Yes, I really do wish such a fate on our
woman-hating correspondent.

In most European "developed" countries, innocent children are not
blamed for how they came into the world. Their governments are
sensible enough to realize that investing $1 in pre-natal, early
childhood, and education, saves $10,000 down the line in social
costs, and yields productive citizens instead of parasites and
criminals. Citizens who will *not* replicate the fate of their
mothers.

In the U.S. our corporate masters much prefer to use our resources to
invest in colonial enterprises abroad; to pay our oil-producing
"allies" to fund our enemies; to exploit our natural resources and
those of countries we can bribe. In short, to do anything BUT care
for innocent children and help them to a better life. Yup, you gets
what you pays for...

HB

(not x-posted)

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 12/12/2010 1:48 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 11, 3:57 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

Um, drunk, intimidation, hostage syndrome, too young to understand or
mentally impaired come to mind. It's wrong anyway one looks at it,
especially if it involves children. I don't understand any adult who
would harm a child in any way although children are a good source of
high quality protein, the toes are the crunchy part. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2010 12:03 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Dec 11, 11:37 am, wrote:
Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights. Much
to my surprise, I could not find any REAL lights, just the fake led lights.
I looked at all the big box stores, including Lowe's, Home Depot, and
Target. All I could find was the fake led lights.

Dont know if its the same problem you had but two years ago I put out
some "white" LED lights and they were dull dim yellow in reality. I
discovered this is because they only run on one half of each AC cycle
so they are ON only 50% 0f the time. I corrected this problem using a
bridge rectifer mounted in a quad outlet box. The only problem with
this scheme is that the lights are polarity sensitive and wont come on
at all if plugged in the wrong way(rotate light string plug 180
degrees). Otherwise the lights are much more brighter and vivid.

Jimmie

I've done this also, but you must remember that you are doubling the
wattage dissipated by the LEDs and the series resistors, which are
usually hidden in the sockets. This caould cause a heat related
failure and possibly fire. My guess is that if anything were a
problem, it would be the resistors. That said, mine have been
working with a full wave rectifier, brightly I might say, for about
4 years. I used 4 individual diodes installed right in the string
just after the plug and covered them with heat shrink. Another
advantage, if you turn your head quickly while looking at the
lights, they aren't as blinky as when running only on half wave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 11:37 am, *wrote:
[...]

I started to wire them like you did but thought it may be a little
impractical for 20+ strings of lights. The LED lights are a little
more pricey up front but I think they are going to be a lot less
expensive over the long haul than incandescent lamps and Im not even
considering power savings. After Xmass they are sell them at give away
prices just like they did the incandescent ones so I will probably
stock up.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

....sleep, drugs, or other physical impairment.

I don't understand any adult who
would harm a child in any way although children are a good source of
high quality protein, the toes are the crunchy part. :-)

....and I thought you liked finger food.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

My friend GB has a granddaughter who had her first birthday September
11, I don't believe I'll forget her birthday. I've known the munchkin's
mother since she was a little girl and I used to chase her around
threatening to unscrew her bellybutton so her behind would fall off.
Little kids are fun to terrorize. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:
On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

I do the same with little ones. The other thing that they like is being
picked up "by their ears" (they bend their forearms over yours).
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 12/12/2010 1:20 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:28:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:
On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

I had a four year old buddy I did that with, I would clamp my hands over
his ears and he would hook his hands over my forearms and I
would pick him up. His psychotic aunt saw this and ran to the
grandmother jabbering that I was picking up the kid by his ears. I
adore little kids and it's unfortunate that there are filthy minded
people out there who think the worst when I tell them that I love
little children. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 11:37 am, wrote:
[...]

Very true, if you have lots of light strings. I've only got 2 sets
of LED Christmas lights and one I'm not even using since we moved
into a new house. I also have 2 strings of "Halloween" LED lights,
orange, which I used in both houses without the diodes. But, the
blinkin' still drives me nuts.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:04:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/12/2010 1:20 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:28:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:
On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

It's less obvious when they use their forearms rather than hands.

His psychotic aunt saw this and ran to the
grandmother jabbering that I was picking up the kid by his ears.

Probably a Democrat.

adore little kids and it's unfortunate that there are filthy minded
people out there who think the worst when I tell them that I love
little children. :-)

I'd be the last one to think that you were a priest. ;-)
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 12/12/2010 6:49 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:04:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/12/2010 1:20 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:28:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:
On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

My older brother attended a seminary where he studied to become a
priest. Puberty changed his mind, hormones are stronger than God. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 11:37 am, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps add a little capacitance to get closer to DC, but then you would
have a good bit more power also and might want to add some series
resistance. Since they draw so little current, you wouldn't need a large
cap. It can be calculated... if you want.

Interesting idea, the full wave, but the brightness of the minis is OK
with me, for my usage.

Jeff

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On 12/11/2010 10:37 AM, James wrote:
Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights. Much
to my surprise, I could not find any REAL lights, just the fake led lights.
I looked at all the big box stores, including Lowe's, Home Depot, and
Target. All I could find was the fake led lights.

I was just in Target. And before I even got to the LEDs the first string
I saw were C9 red incandescents.

Jeff

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:37:00 -0500, "James" wrote:

Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights. Much
to my surprise, I could not find any REAL lights, just the fake led lights.
I looked at all the big box stores, including Lowe's, Home Depot, and
Target. All I could find was the fake led lights.

So, I bought a set of led lights strings with C7 led lights. 50
lights on a string, total wattage of 3.7 watts. They say these are much
cheaper to run because of the low wattage. But, I have seen that you get
what you pay for. These lights are dull and weak looking.

Does anyone here know of any store that still sells real outside Christmas
lights, or have they all been outlawed too ?

Thanks for any info on where I can purchase non-fake Christmas lights !!

Lowes, today, had a bunch of them. They had more incandescent types than LED.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:16:49 -0500, Jeff Thies
wrote:

On 12/11/2010 10:37 AM, James wrote:
Ok, so this year I went out to buy some more outside Christmas lights. Much
to my surprise, I could not find any REAL lights, just the fake led lights.
I looked at all the big box stores, including Lowe's, Home Depot, and
Target. All I could find was the fake led lights.

I was just in Target. And before I even got to the LEDs the first string
I saw were C9 red incandescents.

Jeff

The incondecent holiday lights are not big sellers for residential use
anymore so many retail stores no longer carry them (some carry the
minis - Sears). Incondescents also require more than double the
warehousing space, there is lots of bulb breakage, and there are many
returns, but they are still readily available on line... there are
quite a few web sites, here's one:
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/C7-C9-Bulbs.asp

I no longer use the incondescents, in fact a few years ago I tossed
lots of strings of them into the trash.... I didn't feel bad at all as
each season more than half those bulbs burn out so the ones I tossed
were very close to dying. I now use all LEDs; my electric bill
increase for the holiday season is barely noticeable, but most
importantly LEDs are far safer (no heat). And the new LEDs are very
bright and very colorful... even using 2-3 times as many hardly
affects electric useage. In fact I've been using LEDs for five years
now and not even one bulb has burned out. Now I'm waiting for the
solar LEDs to come down in price. If someone offered me the
incondescents for free I'd not take them. I think the LEDs look much
nicer too, nore twinkly, far more aesthetically pleasing than those
olde tyme clunky incondescents. The LEDs are easier to put up too,
they don't need to be orientated, with incondescents unless the bulbs
are all pointed in the same direction they look awful.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
dgk dgk is offline

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:57:18 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/11/2010 10:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:54:54 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
net...
[...]

Probably with the use of of guns supplied by US, British, French, or
Russian arms dealers.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

[...]

Target was offering either kind. I like the LEDs, they don't seem as
bright but they appear to be better made.