DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Blank-Blank Toilet Bolt Covers (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/315069-blank-blank-toilet-bolt-covers.html)

WandererFan December 9th 10 06:24 PM

Blank-Blank Toilet Bolt Covers

I forgot to put the base for the toilet bolt covers under the nuts!!!
Can I remove the nuts and retighten without damaging the flange seal
or do I have to pull the pot, put in a new wax ring, etc?

Chris

Oren[_2_] December 9th 10 08:15 PM

Blank-Blank Toilet Bolt Covers

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:24:43 -0800 (PST), WandererFan
wrote:

I forgot to put the base for the toilet bolt covers under the nuts!!!
Can I remove the nuts and retighten without damaging the flange seal
or do I have to pull the pot, put in a new wax ring, etc?

Chris

Yes you can remove the nut and place the piece under it and re-
tighten. This should not break the wax ring seal.

Do it...

Red Green December 9th 10 08:32 PM

Blank-Blank Toilet Bolt Covers

WandererFan wrote in news:0f74c02d-6e64-4265-b9fa-
:

I forgot to put the base for the toilet bolt covers under the nuts!!!
Can I remove the nuts and retighten without damaging the flange seal
or do I have to pull the pot, put in a new wax ring, etc?

Chris

You probably can get away with it but there's no guarantee. Probably be
better actually. Right now you have the washer right on the porcelain with
the nut on top?

Loosen them equally like when you tighten them. Overkill, but maybe turn
the supply off and flush first to reduce uncentered weight.

-or cheat -

put some caulk on the edge of the caps, set and let dry.

Vic Smith December 9th 10 09:52 PM

Blank-Blank Toilet Bolt Covers

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:32:56 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

-or cheat -

put some caulk on the edge of the caps, set and let dry.

That's what I would do.

--Vic

WandererFan December 9th 10 10:20 PM

Blank-Blank Toilet Bolt Covers

On Dec 9, 3:32*pm, Red Green wrote:
le snip

You probably can get away with it but there's no guarantee. Probably be
better actually. Right now you have the washer right on the porcelain with
the nut on top?

Loosen them equally like when you tighten them. Overkill, but maybe turn
the supply off and flush first to reduce uncentered weight.

-or cheat -

put some caulk on the edge of the caps, set and let dry.

Yes, washer on porcelain. The more I think about that, the less I
like it. The floor is very solid, shouldn't flex, but a crack would
be a "bad thing".

Guess I'll bite the bullet and fix it properly.

Steve Barker[_6_] December 10th 10 04:42 AM

On 12/9/2010 12:24 PM, WandererFan wrote:
I forgot to put the base for the toilet bolt covers under the nuts!!!
Can I remove the nuts and retighten without damaging the flange seal
or do I have to pull the pot, put in a new wax ring, etc?

Chris

Just pull the nuts and do what you need to do. Hell, mine doesn't even
have any nuts on it. Hasn't had a problem in 3 years. A seal under the
toilet shouldn't even be necessary unless the pipe backs up.

--
Steve Barker

Colbyt December 11th 10 12:16 AM

wrote:

-or cheat -

put some caulk on the edge of the caps, set and let dry.

Is duct tape double-sided, yet?

Only in Texas.