Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

Default only Ni-Mh batteries, a better man than I

Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and AAA
batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).

When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older Ni-Cd
batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to the
batteries or the charger to charge them?

Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.

I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight way. When I
asked if I could be transferred to a technical department, she said, "we
have 'all' the information".

All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for something to
happen...
It's a free phone number...... 0800716434

The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?

If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man than I.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

"john gurney" wrote in message

[...]

The answer is no, it will not hurt the Ni-Cds provided the charge
current is within the range of the cells.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

Woody wrote the following:
[...]

Then why is there a toggle switch on my 4 cell charger to switch to
either Ni-MH or Ni-Cad batteries?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

In article ,
A. Baum wrote:

The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?

If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man
than I.

NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
common sense knows this.

No straight answer from you either, then.

-- Richard
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

[...]

Depends on the charger type - timer or smart charge.

Details on here -

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/can...a-nicd-battery

fixed time chargers may cause, damage smart chargers shouldn't.

Smart chargers often have an LCD display indicating the charge state
of freshly mounted batteries, and vary the charge accordingly.

michael adams

Posted to alt.home.repair

"john gurney" wrote in message

Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and
AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).

When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

So, there was nothing printed on the package stating what kind of batteries
the charger was meant for, or how many it could charge at once?

I have a Rayovac charger I selected because it charges NiCad and NiMH
batteries, and will do up to eight AAs at one time. But, you know, I read
the package.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 11:28*am, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:22:14 +0000, Woody wrote:
[...]

Uh, Nicads where charged mostly by time, NmMh by current sensing. You
would want to monitor a nicad very closely in a NmMh charger if it didn't
complain and abort the charge in the first place. My Duracell charger
will not charge Nicad. Not even attempt to charge them. *- Hide quoted text -

As I understand it NiMh peak at a higher voltage than Nicad, voltage
drop is the best way to monitor a cells charge, ive done it for my RC
car packs. He can do the "feel if its warm test", when they start to
get warm they are 100% charged. Better is he could simple slip volt
meter leads in the charger and monitor if it does cut off at voltage
peak or continue charging and cook the batteries. It may or may not be
fine. My Nimh charger does Nicads on Volts peak cutoff. A good charger
should charge anything.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 5:33*pm, willshak wrote:
Woody wrote the following:

[...]

Because it's less intelligent than my charger 4 cell charger which
charges either, automatically.

MBQ

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 5:23*pm, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:20:33 +0000, john gurney wrote:
[...]

Any idiot with a grain of common sense (seems to rule you out) also
knows an intelligent charger can cope with both types.

MBQ
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Woody wrote the following:
"john gurney" wrote in message

snip
Then why is there a toggle switch on my 4 cell charger to switch to either
Ni-MH or Ni-Cad batteries?
Bill

I think it's because Ni-Mh charge at a slightly higher voltage?

Steve Terry
--
Quidco cashback Sign-up Bonus of £1.25 when you signup at:
http://www.quidco.com/user/613515/55307

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On 30/11/2010 19:02, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Nov 30, 5:23 pm, "A. wrote:

NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
common sense knows this.

Any idiot with a grain of common sense (seems to rule you out) also
knows an intelligent charger can cope with both types.

MBQ

OK, handbags at dawn...

Before you two get into a real slagfest might I point out that those two
statements are not mutually exclusive?

Andy
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

"john gurney" wrote in message

Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and
AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).

When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

If that is what the instructions say why would you expect them to be wrong?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 4:20*pm, "john gurney" wrote:
[...]

You couldnt get a straight yes or no anwer because there is no
straight yes or no answer. To charge a nicd or nimh cell you need a
charge current that matches the cells (or is less), plus if the charge
is faster than 14hr rate you need some sort of auto charge shutoff.

Generally speaking, NiMH AA cells charge at much higher current than
AA nicads, so generally you cant stick nicads into a nimh charger -
but of course its not that simple.

I cant remember what old 450mAh nicads want, somewhere in teh region
of 40mA though. Your charger probably delivers far too much - it would
charge them, but the AAs would die very early.

NT
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

"john gurney" wrote in message

Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and
AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).

When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older Ni-Cd
batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to the
batteries or the charger to charge them?

Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.

Sounds like you've bought a bit of a pup, really.

It doesn't even charge particularly quickly (8-10 hours for 1800 mAh I
think).

The ones I use cost £10 with 4 free 2100 mAh NiMH AA batteries (or vice
versa), charge 4 AA, 4 AAA or 2 PP3, NiCd or NiMH, but take 19 hours for
2100 mAh NiMH AAs. I guess at that charge rate they won't damage anything.

(They are Uniross but Argos don't seem to sell anything comparable now.)

--
Max Demian

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

There are a lot of well educated idiots who won't know that factoid.
That said, I do believe you're right.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
common sense knows this.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

A. Baum wrote:
[...]

No. Voltage sensing. It works on both.

Its easier on NiCad since the voltage change is greater.

Delta peak chargesr that work on NiMh work on Nicad. The reverse *may*
not be true.

You
would want to monitor a nicad very closely in a NmMh charger if it didn't
complain and abort the charge in the first place. My Duracell charger
will not charge Nicad. Not even attempt to charge them.

blather. Learn the facts befor spouting.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Woody wrote the following:
[...]

slightly different delta peak probably.

I,e, crappy charger. Most will do either.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

Steve Terry wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Woody wrote the following:
"john gurney" wrote in message

snip
Then why is there a toggle switch on my 4 cell charger to switch to either
Ni-MH or Ni-Cad batteries?
Bill

I think it's because Ni-Mh charge at a slightly higher voltage?

irrelevant. Nickel hargers feed current and look for a voltage DROP as
the charged state is achieved. Chargers that are run this way limit
current, and switch off when they detect fully charged conditions. They
will charge as few or as many cells as they have supply voltage to force
current into.

Steve Terry

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

A. Baum wrote:
[...]

No they dont. As people who have used them and charged them know.

They are VERY similar. Constant current and look for a drop in terminal
voltage and switch off then.

Only difference is the drop n a NiMh is a lot less, so it needs more
sensitive chargers.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
A. Baum wrote:

The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?

If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man
than I.

NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
common sense knows this.

No straight answer from you either, then.

He only knows what every idiots knows, which is false anyway, so why boyher?

-- Richard

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 5:23 pm, "A. wrote:

NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
common sense knows this.

Any idiot with a grain of common sense (seems to rule you out) also
knows an intelligent charger can cope with both types.

MBQ

OK, handbags at dawn...

Before you two get into a real slagfest might I point out that those two
statements are not mutually exclusive?

They almost are.

No one makes a a NiCd only charger as NiMh chargers will charge either.

Andy

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:23:03 +0000 (UTC), "A. Baum" wrote:

[...]

Actually, they're very close. The only important difference is that dV/dt
terminal charge sensing won't work on NiMH. Other than that they're *very*
similar.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

Depends what you mean by 'damage' Arguably, most chargers do not quite get
it right, and either cook or take forever to charge the cells. I personally
find that all rechargeable, and I'm not including the so called
rechargeable alkaline here, are not as reliable as the manufacturers
suggest. Ni cads are low in capacity and go short, the ones you mention are
better but still suffer self discharge and wildly variable life and charge
potential in my experience. Only the lead acid sealed sort seem at all
reliable and the lithium, get so hot you need oven gloves to use them.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
[...]

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

On 30/11/2010 16:20, john gurney wrote:
Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and AAA
batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).

When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

snip whinge

The correct answer is to clearly determine exactly what you need and
then take that specification with you when purchasing to ensure that you
are buying the correct item.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

In article , A. Baum
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:22:14 +0000, Woody wrote:

The answer is no, it will not hurt the Ni-Cds provided the charge
current is within the range of the cells.

Uh, Nicads where charged mostly by time, NmMh by current sensing.

Erm, actually both types are "charged" by passing a current thought them.
:-)

The *sensing* of when they are fully "charged" can be done by various
methods (or none) depending on all sorts of details, etc.

Slainte,

Jim

You
would want to monitor a nicad very closely in a NmMh charger if it
didn't complain and abort the charge in the first place. My Duracell
charger will not charge Nicad. Not even attempt to charge them.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

It will and it does and a million RC modellers will tell you so, and the
manufacturers who make the chargers for BOTH.

Just because you have a charger that doesn't, doesn't make the principal
incorrect. It just means you have crap charger.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.home.repair

Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , A. Baum
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:22:14 +0000, Woody wrote:

The answer is no, it will not hurt the Ni-Cds provided the charge
current is within the range of the cells.

Uh, Nicads where charged mostly by time, NmMh by current sensing.

Erm, actually both types are "charged" by passing a current thought them.
:-)

The *sensing* of when they are fully "charged" can be done by various
methods (or none) depending on all sorts of details, etc.

In all cases its done by sensing voltage.

Nickel cells drop voltage when fully charged.

Lithium polymer cells are fully charged at around 4.2v per cell.

Lithium iron cells its lower but similar. Leda acid is about 2.2v per cell.

The beauty of nickel chargers is they don't care how many cells are in
the pack. Once they detect a falling voltage, they can shut off.

Its been an issue with smart lithium chargers. A half charged 7 cell
pack that looks like a flat 8 cell pack wont last long if the charge
goes to 8x4.2v...:-)

From ://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_nickel_based_batteries

Good explanation about charging NiCd and NiMH batteries.
Near the end of the article one of the statements is:
"A charger for nickel-metal-hydride can also accommodate nickel-cadmium, but not the other way around. A charger designed for nickel-cadmium would overcharge the nickel-metal-hydride battery.

A well-designed charger is a reasonably complex device. Taking short cuts will cost the user in the long run. Choosing a well-engineered charger will return the investment in longer lasting and better performing batteries."

Please read the whole article for better info.

Buffalo

UPS batteries D Yuniskis Electronics Repair 61 December 14th 09 11:17 PM
Batteries SteveB[_10_] Metalworking 2 May 20th 09 02:43 PM
New Batteries Weatherlawyer UK diy 19 January 19th 08 04:23 PM
Batteries David Lang UK diy 15 August 1st 05 09:24 AM
14.4v batteries David Lang UK diy 4 July 16th 05 01:35 PM