Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I drink softened water

Except for the outside faucets, all the water in my house runs through
a water softener. The water we drink,
i.e the cold water from the faucet in the sink, the ice cube maker in
the fridge as well as a hot water dispenser on the sink all run
through a Doulton filter. Should I bypass the water softener and run
the drinking water directly to the filter? I have read conflicting
statements about the health aspects of drinking softened water?
Thanks, Richard
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:32:23 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Except for the outside faucets, all the water in my house runs through
a water softener. The water we drink,
i.e the cold water from the faucet in the sink, the ice cube maker in
the fridge as well as a hot water dispenser on the sink all run
through a Doulton filter. Should I bypass the water softener and run
the drinking water directly to the filter? I have read conflicting
statements about the health aspects of drinking softened water?
Thanks, Richard

No.

Conflicts? Buying bottle water at a store is just softened with an RO
systems.

My pets drink soft water, none have died from it.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 3:32*pm, " wrote:
Except for the outside faucets, all the water in my house runs through
a water softener. The water we drink,
i.e the cold water from the faucet in the sink, the ice cube maker in
the fridge as well as a hot water dispenser on the sink all run
through a Doulton filter. Should I bypass the water softener and run
the drinking water directly to the filter? I have read conflicting
statements about the health aspects of drinking softened water?
Thanks, Richard

If you have no problems with the extra salt you get drink it, I stay
away from salt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Except for the outside faucets, all the water in my house runs through
a water softener. The water we drink,
i.e the cold water from the faucet in the sink, the ice cube maker in
the fridge as well as a hot water dispenser on the sink all run
through a Doulton filter. Should I bypass the water softener and run
the drinking water directly to the filter? I have read conflicting
statements about the health aspects of drinking softened water?
Thanks, Richard

If your s/w is setup right there is less salt in your water than there is in
milk but if you're on a sodium restricted diet you should avoid it anyway.

I don't drink s/w because of the taste. I run the s/w though a ro filter.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimT" wrote in message
net...

wrote in message
Except for the outside faucets, all the water in my house runs through
a water softener. The water we drink,
i.e the cold water from the faucet in the sink, the ice cube maker in
the fridge as well as a hot water dispenser on the sink all run
through a Doulton filter. Should I bypass the water softener and run
the drinking water directly to the filter? I have read conflicting
statements about the health aspects of drinking softened water?
Thanks, Richard

If your s/w is setup right there is less salt in your water than there is
in milk but if you're on a sodium restricted diet you should avoid it
anyway.

I don't drink s/w because of the taste. I run the s/w though a ro filter.

Jim

Ditto here. We have a dispenser on the kitchen sink that comes from an RO
unit. But in the bathroom, sometimes I need to take meds, so will use that
tap water. Definitely a difference, but for half a cup, no biggie. I would
not drink softened water in any quantities, or use it for anything
important, like beer making.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
I have read conflicting
statements about the health aspects of drinking softened water?
Thanks, Richard

So you came to this group to resolve the conflicts. Thank you for the
confidence you have on the folks here to get the right answers!

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

Except for the outside faucets, all the water in my house runs through
a water softener. The water we drink,
i.e the cold water from the faucet in the sink, the ice cube maker in
the fridge as well as a hot water dispenser on the sink all run
through a Doulton filter. Should I bypass the water softener and run
the drinking water directly to the filter? I have read conflicting
statements about the health aspects of drinking softened water?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

In most cases, softened water contains between 40-80mg of sodium per litre. To
put that in context, ask yourself how many litres of tap water you drink a day
and consider that a single slice of white bread contains between 150-200mg of
sodium and a can of chicken noodle soup can conatin over 500mg of sodium.