DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   WD-40 Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/313815-re-wd-40-question.html)

Tony Miklos[_2_] November 19th 10 09:41 PM

WD-40 Question

On 11/19/2010 1:04 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Bob wrote:
Hello,

Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:

How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the same
time a solvent ?

Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?

Can you name one liquid lubricant which is unable to act as a solvent?

Jon

KY Jelly! Actually Astro Glide is a liquid!!!! ;-)

Jon Danniken[_4_] November 20th 10 03:31 AM

WD-40 Question

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:

How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the same
time a solvent ?

Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?

Can you name one liquid lubricant which is unable to act as a
solvent? Jon

KY Jelly! Actually Astro Glide is a liquid!!!! ;-)

Those are water based lubricants. At a minimum, we know they will absorb
water, water which is undoubtedly a solvent.

Jon

Tony Miklos[_2_] November 20th 10 02:31 PM

WD-40 Question

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:

How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the same
time a solvent ?

Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?

Can you name one liquid lubricant which is unable to act as a
solvent? Jon

KY Jelly! Actually Astro Glide is a liquid!!!! ;-)

Those are water based lubricants. At a minimum, we know they will absorb
water, water which is undoubtedly a solvent.

Jon

Yes I thought of that but it still seemed like a good answer. ;-)

Jon Danniken[_4_] November 20th 10 03:23 PM

WD-40 Question

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:

How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the same
time a solvent ?

Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?

Can you name one liquid lubricant which is unable to act as a
solvent? Jon

KY Jelly! Actually Astro Glide is a liquid!!!! ;-)

Those are water based lubricants. At a minimum, we know they will
absorb water, water which is undoubtedly a solvent.

Jon

Yes I thought of that but it still seemed like a good answer. ;-)

The original point was that damn near every liquid (at room temperature and
pressure) is a solvent, for one thing or another, and you'd be hard pressed
to come up with a liquid lubricant that *wasn't* one!

Jon