DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   rec.woodworking (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/313547-rec-woodworking.html)

Pat Barber[_2_] November 15th 10 06:53 PM

rec.woodworking

Anybody having trouble getting to or seeing rec.woodworking.]

I have two different servers and neither one:

teranews or eternal-september.org seems to have it available.

dpb November 15th 10 07:10 PM

rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Anybody having trouble getting to or seeing rec.woodworking.]

I have two different servers and neither one:

teranews or eternal-september.org seems to have it available.

Looked in on eternal-september this am w/ no discernible problems. They
do have occasional slowdowns or apparently some uptime issues but rarely
more than a couple hours. Sundays do seem to be perhaps maintenance
I've noticed but didn't see any disruption yesterday when checked...

Sjouke Burry[_2_] November 15th 10 07:24 PM

rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Anybody having trouble getting to or seeing rec.woodworking.]

I have two different servers and neither one:

teranews or eternal-september.org seems to have it available.

On news.planet.nl:
alt.biaries.pictures.woodworking
alt.binaries.rustic-woodworkers
free.uk.woodworking
net.crafts.woodworking.general
rec.woodworking

Bob F November 15th 10 07:41 PM

rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Pat Barber wrote:
Anybody having trouble getting to or seeing rec.woodworking.]

I have two different servers and neither one:

teranews or eternal-september.org seems to have it available.

Looked in on eternal-september this am w/ no discernible problems. They do
have occasional slowdowns or apparently some uptime issues
but rarely more than a couple hours. Sundays do seem to be perhaps
maintenance I've noticed but didn't see any disruption yesterday when
checked...

Worked fine for me also on eternal-september.

Pat Barber[_2_] November 15th 10 07:42 PM

rec.woodworking

Must be a delay of some sort...

Thanks..

I assume that the rec.woodworking ain't gone...

Gordon Shumway November 15th 10 09:23 PM

rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:53:55 -0500, Pat Barber
wrote:

Anybody having trouble getting to or seeing rec.woodworking.]

I have two different servers and neither one:

teranews or eternal-september.org seems to have it available.

It is alive and well on NewsGuy.

Joe J November 15th 10 09:29 PM

rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message ...

Anybody having trouble getting to or seeing rec.woodworking.]

I have two different servers and neither one:

teranews or eternal-september.org seems to have it available.

eternal-september has it on my system.

IGot2P[_2_] November 15th 10 11:13 PM

rec.woodworking

On 11/15/2010 12:53 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
Anybody having trouble getting to or seeing rec.woodworking.]

I have two different servers and neither one:

teranews or eternal-september.org seems to have it available.

Works fine on Giganews.

Joe November 16th 10 04:32 AM

rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 12:53*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
Anybody having trouble getting to or seeing rec.woodworking.]

I have two different servers and neither one:

teranews or eternal-september.org seems to have it available.

Works just fine from: Google groups rec.woodworking.

Can someone please explain why newsreaders are even necessary? What's
the point in having multiple servers? You buy a computer, get a phone
line with DSL, sign in for a Google account and you're off and
running. Even AOL is free now. Mystified...

Joe

Smitty Two November 16th 10 06:22 AM

rec.woodworking

In article
,
Joe wrote:

Can someone please explain why newsreaders are even necessary? What's
the point in having multiple servers? You buy a computer, get a phone
line with DSL, sign in for a Google account and you're off and
running. Even AOL is free now. Mystified...

Joe

Using google to access usenet is like using a bent screwdriver with a
chipped blade, a rusty wobbly dull circular saw with bad bearings and a
frayed power cord, a level with a broken bubble, and a collection of
bent nails and warped, knotty lumber to build fine cabinetry.

If you don't grok that, you don't know what you're missing. Windoze has
a built-in newsreader, I think, and an account with Eternal September or
other free provider takes 5 minutes to set up. Do it.

Jon Danniken[_4_] November 16th 10 04:02 PM

rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Must be a delay of some sort...

Thanks..

I assume that the rec.woodworking ain't gone...

Aye, still showing up here, anyway.

Jon

Joe November 17th 10 06:09 PM

rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 12:36*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

snip

Another *very* good reason to avoid google groups is that many people,
including me, kill posts from google by default, in order to stop the
spam, 99.99% of which is posted from google groups. So, your posts are
not being seen, by a very significant percentage of usenet participants.
I only see them because you're among a handful of people who have stood
out enough to make my whitelist.

Thanks for the kind words. Might be time to check out other options.
Suggestions for iMac welcome.

Joe

chaniarts[_2_] November 17th 10 06:33 PM

rec.woodworking

www.eternal-september.org

Edward Reid November 19th 10 06:25 AM

rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:09:25 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:
Suggestions for iMac welcome.

Back when I was using a Mac, I used Hogwasher for quite a while, and
it's still around:

http://www.asar.com/hogwasher.html

Edward

Edward Reid November 19th 10 06:26 AM

rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:22:44 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:
like using a bent screwdriver

But then, it's often said that the secret to using computers is
figuring out the proper wrench to pound in the screw.

Edward