DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Snowthrower Recommendations (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/313435-re-snowthrower-recommendations.html)

HeyBub[_3_] November 14th 10 12:27 PM

Snowthrower Recommendations

wrote:
I finall got rid of my old 2-stage MTD last year after many years. I
have priced new units, and see 2-stage units in the $300 range. I
would end to shy away from them because I hate the gas/oil mixing.

I see 4-cycle engine starting in the mid $400s and up. Aside from
avoiding the gas/oil mixing, are there advantages to these? What
about breakdowns, etc.? I don't mind regular maintenance, but I do
mind machines that are hard-starting or need to be taken in for
repairs frequently. I am trying to avoid too expensive a unit, but I
don't know enough to distinguish between them.

Any advice?

In the main, 4-cycle engines are more durable, more forgiving, and start
easier than 2-cycle.

As an example, you just don't see many large 2-cycle engines (automobiles,
motorcycles, airplanes, generators, pumps in New Orleans flood mitigation
facilities, etc.).