Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ID this gas pipe fitting?

I have a gas line coming into my house through the basement wall. The line
coming looks like it is about a 1-1/4 inch pipe. The pipe comes in, then
there is a silver steel color knurled fitting, then a regular reducer
fitting, then a street 90 degree L. From there, the piping goes up to the
gas meter that is in the basement.

What I am trying to figure out is, what is that silver steel color knurled
fitting? Whatever it is, it is threaded onto the pipe that is coming into
the house and threaded into the reducer fitting.

Here are two photos:

http://i56.tinypic.com/qx9kl1.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/15n7syh.jpg

This is in New Jersey (PSE&G is the gas company). Yes, I know I could try
calling the gas company to find out, but it is next to impossible to get
through to them on the phone, and I have already had them out there twice
because I am trying to figure a way to relocate the meter about one foot
over for remodeling. They were no help (long story), and I didn't think to
ask them while they were there what the knurled fitting is. I have a hunch
that the knurled steel fitting is some kind of gas company tag or marker
that they put on to make sure no one has tampered with the gas line before
the meter. Does anyone know if that's correct or what that fitting is?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RogerT wrote the following:
[...]

Let me be the first to make a wild ass guess.
Maybe it is like a lock nut. You know, a second threaded nut to keep the
other part from backing out. Because this is a potentially explosive gas
line, it might be required
I don't have NG at my house.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2010 12:14 PM, RogerT wrote:
[...]

It looks like an adapter bushing for electrical conduit to go up a size.
Is it aluminum or plated steel? It could also be a check valve or flow
restrictor if it was installed by the gas company.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
RogerT wrote the following:
[...]

I worked at a gas company for 40 years, and I have never seen such a fitting
in use, that doesn't mean they didn't use something similar over the past
150 years, things kept changing over the years. If I was to make a wild
guess, and since you seem to have a steel service line, I would venture a
guess that it is part of an insulating fitting to isolate the house ground
from the gas service line, so that the house ground doesn't counter the
effects of anodes installed on the mains to prevent corrosion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RogerT wrote:
[...]

Never seen anything like it on gas before...that's a sizable entrance
line for a single-family residence.

I'd vote w/ the guess of EXT isolation fitting concept if it was,
indeed, the gas company's.

OTOH, it may just be an adapter to fit the reducing coupling the plumber
had with him.

I don't think other than the former possibly it's anything special
tamper-proof device or check valve or some such exotic thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Now that you mention it, it may be aluminum or some kind of alloy. It has
maintained its silver color over the years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
RogerT wrote:
[...]

It's a larger entrance line because it is actually a 3-unit building with
separate gas for each unit. From the point in the photo, the piping then
goes to 3 separte gas meters, rather than one. I left that part out before
because I didn't want to make the post too complicated. The basement is
being remodeled and I want to be able to get the 3 meters moved about a foot
over. Also, each meter has it's own shutoff valve, but I wanted to be able
to also have a main shutoff valve installed on the main line so all of the
gas for all 3 units could be shut off at once if needed during an emergency
etc. That was why I had the gas company out there a couple of times, but
that's a whole other story.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RogerT wrote:

It's a larger entrance line because it is actually a 3-unit building with
separate gas for each unit. From the point in the photo, the piping then
goes to 3 separte gas meters, rather than one. I left that part out before
because I didn't want to make the post too complicated. The basement is
being remodeled and I want to be able to get the 3 meters moved about a foot
over. Also, each meter has it's own shutoff valve, but I wanted to be able
to also have a main shutoff valve installed on the main line so all of the
gas for all 3 units could be shut off at once if needed during an emergency
etc. That was why I had the gas company out there a couple of times, but
that's a whole other story.

OK, that explains the size...

There isn't an external shutoff??? I'd think that a Code violation of
first order if not.

If there is, why do you need the gas company at all since it's all
inside the building? Or, does NJ have requirement that anything on
upstream side of meter _must_ be done by the utility? (Here, anything
in the residence is fair game for a qualified technician).

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
RogerT wrote:

[...]

There is an external shutoff valve, although there was even a question about
that for a while. Different gas company reps who came out to the property
said different things about what can and cannot be done, who can do it,
whether there should be an internal main shutoff valve, etc. Originally, I
was thinking of having the gas company install a new line coming in at a
different location and having the meters moved to the outside of the
property. That turned out to be prohibitively expensive and not recommended
by the gas company reps who first came out. They did say, however, that I
should have a main shutoff on the inside as a safety feature. They also
said that I could have a plumber relocate the meters a little to accomodate
what I want to do as long as the meters remain right by where the main line
comes into the building. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RogerT wrote:

There is an external shutoff valve, although there was even a question about
that for a while. Different gas company reps who came out to the property
said different things about what can and cannot be done, who can do it,
whether there should be an internal main shutoff valve, etc. Originally, I
was thinking of having the gas company install a new line coming in at a
different location and having the meters moved to the outside of the
property. That turned out to be prohibitively expensive and not recommended
by the gas company reps who first came out. They did say, however, that I
should have a main shutoff on the inside as a safety feature. They also
said that I could have a plumber relocate the meters a little to accomodate
what I want to do as long as the meters remain right by where the main line
comes into the building. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

Sounds like you're good to go, then, since the gas can be isolated for
working. One hopes the valve isn't so old that it (a) is still operable
and (b) seals.

I'd agree that there ought to be a main shutoff too as well as the
individual ones but if they're all within reaching distance of each
other there's really no distinct advantage other than redundancy has
some benefit and convenience of isolating the meters for
maintenance/repair w/o outside access.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2010 1:23 PM, RogerT wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

If you can scratch a grove in it with a screwdriver, it's aluminum. Come
to think of it, I've installed bushings on gas lines going
into gas valves. It could simply be a bushing that a gas fitter
had on the truck.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote:

... It could simply be a bushing that a gas fitter had on the truck.

That's certainly my candidate for most likely...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RogerT" wrote in message
I have a gas line coming into my house through the basement wall. . . .
......What I am trying to figure out is, what is that silver steel color
knurled fitting? Whatever it is, it is threaded onto the pipe that is
coming into the house and threaded into the reducer fitting.

Here are two photos:

http://i56.tinypic.com/qx9kl1.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/15n7syh.jpg

Here's a new twist. It just dawned on me that I could check another
property that I own and see what the gas line looks like coming in. It
turns out that it also has the same type of silver fitting. Here are photos
of that one:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2nq8lyb.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/33e4idw.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2zoda80.jpg

On this one, the silver metal part and the fitting look like they are all
one piece. I tried scratching it with a metal screw and the screw does mark
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2010 6:29 PM, RogerT wrote:
"RogerT" wrote in message
[...]

It's starting to look like a check valve.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ala Ala is offline

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

If you can scratch a grove in it with a screwdriver, it's aluminum.

That's exactly what my mother said

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Roger, I just had a thought, I've never seen those type fittings on any
of Alabama Gas systems so I have a hunch the fittings could be a thermal
shutoff valve that would snap shut in case of fire. Perhaps you could
ask one of the fire marshals or a city inspector if that's the case. I
believe the engineering department of your city or county would be glad
to tell you what it's for.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RogerT wrote:

Here's a new twist. It just dawned on me that I could check another
property that I own and see what the gas line looks like coming in. It
turns out that it also has the same type of silver fitting. Here are
photos of that one:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2nq8lyb.jpg

That looks like it could be the dielectric fitting as somebody else
mentioned earlier -- the whole thing instead of having just used the one
end as a bushing as appears to have been done in the other case.

What's the dark section the el is screwed into on this one?

I suppose it is still possible it could be a TCV (thermal check valve)
but the only ones of that size I'm familiar with look similar to this
one from Dresser...

http://www.dresser.com/index.cfm/go/product-detail/product/TCV-Thermal-Check-Valve/

Couldn't find the requirements from PSE&G on their website other than
did find a reqm't for inline check valves on jeweler's NG/oxy- torches
and the like, but they are a much smaller device, of course.

Don't guess there are any manufacturer marks, of course???

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
RogerT wrote:

Here's a new twist. It just dawned on me that I could check another
property that I own and see what the gas line looks like coming in. It
turns out that it also has the same type of silver fitting. Here
are photos of that one:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2nq8lyb.jpg

That looks like it could be the dielectric fitting as somebody else
mentioned earlier -- the whole thing instead of having just used the
one end as a bushing as appears to have been done in the other case.

That could be correct. I'll have to wait to find out (see below), unless
someone else here knows what it is.

What's the dark section the el is screwed into on this one?

The dark section didn't show up well on the photos, but it appeared to me to
be threads that are eithe part of the fitting or are a threaded nipple that
goes between the fitting and the L.

Don't guess there are any manufacturer marks, of course???

There are no manufacturer marks anywhere.

I went to another property I have today and it has the same type of fitting.
Here are two photos from that property:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2zzoxud.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/x10v0w.jpg

The gas company is now going to come back out to the original property (the
3-unit) next week and switch the 3 existing meters over to meters that can
be read remotely (they call them ERT meters, or something like that). When
they show up, I'm going to ask them what the fitting is and what it is for.
I'll post what they tell me back here when I find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RogerT wrote:

I went to another property I have today and it has the same type of fitting.
Here are two photos from that property:

No better guess than before--that clearly is a nipple out the back end
on this one. I'm having trouble envisioning it being a check valve but
won't say it's impossible...

The gas company is now going to come back out to the original property (the
3-unit) next week and switch the 3 existing meters over to meters that can
be read remotely (they call them ERT meters, or something like that). When
they show up, I'm going to ask them what the fitting is and what it is for.
I'll post what they tell me back here when I find out.

Sounds like a plan. Was going to say you'll find out what it is when
the plumber moves them but same goes for this route, too.

Will be interested to hear what the mystery part is finally determined
to be. I'll be particularly interested in whether that first one is
complete or the actual working piece is gone in lieu of the reducing
coupling...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
RogerT wrote:
Here's the follow-up answer:

They came out today and I asked them what the fitting is. They said
it is called a "posilock" fitting. It is used because the old steel
gas lines that came into buildings are no longer used for gas supply.
Instead, the steel pipe is now used as a conduit. Inside the steel
conduit is a plastic gas supply line that comes in from the street. The
posilock fitting connects the plastic gas supply line to the gas
line that is inside the building that goes to the meter.

I did a bunch of Google searches on posilock etc. and I still
couldn't find too much additional information, but here's what I did
find: "posilock transition fitting"

http://www.flowersareforever.org/art...tober42002.htm

Inner-Tite (manufacturer?)

"The posilock seals together the larger plastic pipe from the street
to a smaller metal pipe in the basement of a home or business."

Interesting.

Here's link to Inner-Tite who does list the trademark but I see no
hint of the particular product/fitting. One might presume it was
recalled/abandoned as a not-so-good idea, maybe.

www.inner-tite.com/home.htm

At least there's a rational explanation for what it looks like
although might be some reason to be at least vigilant if not
necessarily nervous.

My guess is that after the lawsuit, Inner-Tite decided to get out of the
business of selling the fittings. I would love to take one apart and see
exactly how it works, but of course, I won't be doing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
RogerT wrote:
[...]

Well, here's a new twist on the whole question of what it is. I am having a
minor relocation of the meters done (by about one foot up and one foot over
to the right). The first street 90 was taken off, but the silver color
fitting and the straight brown fitting that it is attached to were left in
place. I was not there, but the person doing the work looked inside the
supply pipe coming through the wall. He said it is nothing but a hollow
steel pipe -- no plastic gas line inside, etc.

So, the person who told me that the silver fitting was a "posilock" that
connects to a plastic gas supply line that is inside the steel pipe was
mistaken.

It did occur to me that at least one (and probably two) of the 3 properties
I have that all had the silver fitting have NOT had any new gas supply
service line run into the building in many many years -- at least back to
long before they ever began using plastic gas supply lines. The third
property that I looked at that also has the silver fitting did have a new
gas supply line put in about 3 or 4 years ago, so that one may have a
plastic gas line inside of the steel pipe -- I don't know.

But, my guess now is that the silver fitting serves some other purpose --
possibly/probably as an insulator or dielectric device, as others here have
suggested.

I am going to keep asking gas company people and anyone else I can find in
the future. The mystery remains unsolved for now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For those who were following this thread, here's a new development and
probably the final answer as to what the silver fitting is:

Earlier, I had written,

"They (the gas company) came out today and I asked them what the fitting is.
They said it is
called a "posilock" fitting. It is used because the old steel gas lines
that came into buildings are no longer used for gas supply. Instead, the
steel pipe is now used as a conduit. Inside the steel conduit is a plastic
gas supply line that comes in from the street. The posilock fitting
connects the plastic gas supply line to the gas line that is inside the
building that goes to the meter."

Later, I wrote,

"The first street 90 was taken off, but the silver color
fitting and the straight brown fitting that it is attached to were left in
place. I was not there, but the person doing the work looked inside the
supply pipe coming through the wall. He said it is nothing but a hollow
steel pipe -- no plastic gas line inside, etc.

So, the person who told me that the silver fitting was a "posilock" that
connects to a plastic gas supply line that is inside the steel pipe was
mistaken."

Well, the new develoment is that we took the street 90 off again, and this
time, I personally looked inside the pipe rather than relying on what the
person who was doing the work before said he saw when he looked inside the
pipe.

When I personally looked inside the pipe yesterday, I could see that the
other person's impression of what he saw was clearly mistaken. When I
looked in, I could see what is apparently the smooth inside of the plastic
gas line that the gas company said is inside of the 1 1/2-inch steel pipe
coming into the building. The inside is smooth and has some fine lines
running longitudinally (sp?) along the inside of the tubing; and the
diameter of what is in there is clearly smaller than the inside diameter of
a 1 1/2-inch steel pipe.

It does looks like the silver fitting and the fitting attached to that are
what adapts a plastic gas line inside the incoming steel pipe pipe to the
black iron gas piping inside building that goes to the meter. I didn't take
those two fittings apart (and I don't intend to), but I have a hunch that
the two pieces serve as a pipe ferrule fitting to secure the incoming
plastic gas line to the interior black iron gas pipe (somewhat like the
fitting diagram shown here
http://www.thepipefittings.com/pipe-ferrule.html ).

So, as far as I can tell, the gas company person who told me that the silver
fitting is a "posilock" that connects to a plastic gas supply line that is
inside the steel pipe is CORRECT.

I think that is the final answer on this one.

++++++++++++++++

RogerT wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to RogerT, David Perez wrote:
What you have there is called a Posiloc fitting, what it does is connect the
outer steel pipe with the plastic insert pipe. PSE&G would renew/replace old
gas services by inserting a new plastic gas pipe in the old steel gas pipe and
the fitting you show actually crimp the plastic with a brass ring and allows
the plastic to be held in place so that they can then hang the meter using
conventional fittings

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-602930-.htm

Technique for dry fitting PVC pipe? [email protected] Home Repair 21 March 26th 18 03:44 AM
Gas pipe fitting Q's PM UK diy 13 June 16th 06 02:06 PM
Best fitting for jog in vertical DWV pipe Wayne Whitney Home Repair 3 March 12th 06 02:06 AM
Female flare to pipe fitting? DT Metalworking 0 February 13th 06 05:59 PM
Female flare to pipe fitting? Don Foreman Metalworking 0 February 13th 06 08:42 AM