DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Resurfacing asphalt. . . (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/312033-resurfacing-asphalt.html)

Ray October 21st 10 01:17 PM

Resurfacing asphalt. . .

The asphalt parking lot of our six-unit condo building is beginning to crack
badly and I'd like to know some options.

A year or so ago a similar building not far away did

Don Phillipson[_3_] October 21st 10 02:57 PM

Resurfacing asphalt. . .

"Ray" wrote in message

The asphalt parking lot of our six-unit condo building is beginning to
crack badly and I'd like to know some options.

Why not consult some asphalt contractors?

Steve B[_10_] October 21st 10 08:00 PM

Resurfacing asphalt. . .

"Ray" wrote in message
The asphalt parking lot of our six-unit condo building is beginning to
crack badly and I'd like to know some options.

A year or so ago a similar building not far away did

Can you provide some pictures? I am a reserve analyst field investigator,
and have done about 500 HOA studies, the largest 1100 acres.

There is all sorts of deterioration. Cracks can be cured by pouring hot tar
mix, and can be done when it is resealed. Severe spalling, called
alligatoring is different. Severe cracking is not normal and indicates
subsidence or underground caving in due to water leakage, and other things.

Some of the HOA's are using a new process, not sure what it's called, but a
big a** machine comes in, eats off the top two or three inches, mixes it up
with heat, some new tar, some new goo, and redeposits it, even with grooves,
and crowning in desired areas for drainage. It costs more than sealcoating,
but is only about 40% IIRC of total replacement. It all depends on present
state of your asphalt, and the kind of job you got in the first place.

HTH

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.