DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Programmable thermostat? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/311921-programmable-thermostat.html)

LSMFT October 19th 10 01:18 PM

Programmable thermostat?

I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15
minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a
programmable thermostat do this?
--

LSMFT

Jim Elbrecht October 19th 10 01:52 PM

Programmable thermostat?

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:18:48 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15
minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a
programmable thermostat do this?

I would say no. All the thermostat does is call for heat.

You could put a timer on the circulator-- but I doubt that is a good
idea. Why do you want to do this?

I suspect the current setup allows for the most efficient use of
power-- your proposition totally ignores how hot the water is. It
seems to me that water temp is of utmost importance.

Jim

LSMFT October 19th 10 03:22 PM

Programmable thermostat?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:18:48 -0400, wrote:

I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15
minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a
programmable thermostat do this?

I would say no. All the thermostat does is call for heat.

You could put a timer on the circulator-- but I doubt that is a good
idea. Why do you want to do this?

I suspect the current setup allows for the most efficient use of
power-- your proposition totally ignores how hot the water is. It
seems to me that water temp is of utmost importance.

Jim

It's a wood boiler and I do it that way manually now and it works great.
The problem is that when the fire goes down the circulator runs all the
time unless I shut it off.

--
LSMFT

Jim Elbrecht October 19th 10 04:25 PM

Programmable thermostat?

LSMFT wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:18:48 -0400, wrote:

I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15
minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a
programmable thermostat do this?

-snip-

It's a wood boiler and I do it that way manually now and it works great.
The problem is that when the fire goes down the circulator runs all the
time unless I shut it off.

I'd be leaning towards a thermostat on the boiler that circulated
whenever the water was above 'nn' degrees. With nn= As cool as it
can get and still feel warm as it re-enters the boiler.

But then I've never played with a boiler- so I might be all wet.,g

Jim

harry October 19th 10 06:09 PM

Programmable thermostat?

On Oct 19, 1:18*pm, LSMFT wrote:
I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15
minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a
programmable thermostat do this?
--

LSMFT

No. It is undesireable anyway.

harry October 19th 10 06:10 PM

Programmable thermostat?

On Oct 19, 3:22*pm, LSMFT wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:18:48 -0400, *wrote:

I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15
minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a
programmable thermostat do this?

I would say no. * All the thermostat does is call for heat.

You could put a timer on the circulator-- but I doubt that is a good
idea. *Why do you want to do this?

I suspect the current setup allows for the most efficient use of
power-- your proposition totally ignores how hot the water is. * It
seems to me that water temp is of utmost importance.

Jim

It's a wood boiler and I do it that way manually now and it works great.
The problem is that when the fire goes down the circulator runs all the
time unless I shut it off.

--
LSMFT

Simple job, assist the assistant of the physicist.- Hide quoted text -

Is there no thermostat on the boiler to control air flow? That would
be normal.

harry October 19th 10 06:40 PM

Programmable thermostat?

On Oct 19, 6:43*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"LSMFT" wrote in message
Jim

It's a wood boiler and I do it that way manually now and it works great..
The problem is that when the fire goes down the circulator runs all the
time unless I shut it off.

Sounds like you need an aquastat to control the circulator. *It will shut
off below a set water temperature.

Pointless unless the boiler has a thermostat.

LSMFT October 19th 10 11:27 PM

Programmable thermostat?

harry wrote:
On Oct 19, 3:22 pm, wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Why would there be air flow in a boiler? There is water flow.

--
LSMFT

George October 19th 10 11:33 PM

Programmable thermostat?

On 10/19/2010 10:22 AM, LSMFT wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:18:48 -0400, wrote:

I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15
minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a
programmable thermostat do this?

I would say no. All the thermostat does is call for heat.

You could put a timer on the circulator-- but I doubt that is a good
idea. Why do you want to do this?

I suspect the current setup allows for the most efficient use of
power-- your proposition totally ignores how hot the water is. It
seems to me that water temp is of utmost importance.

Jim

It's a wood boiler and I do it that way manually now and it works great.
The problem is that when the fire goes down the circulator runs all the
time unless I shut it off.

That could be easily solved by installing an aquastat but not commonly
done because if the fire goes out the circulating water may save some
piping.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] October 20th 10 03:08 AM

Programmable thermostat?

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Jim
It's a wood boiler and I do it that way manually now and it works
great.
The problem is that when the fire goes down the circulator runs all the
time unless I shut it off.

Sounds like you need an aquastat to control the circulator. It will shut
off below a set water temperature.

Pointless unless the boiler has a thermostat.

He already said it has a thermostat. If the T-stat is calling for heat it
will start the circulator even if there is no fire. An Aquastat keeps the
water from circulating unless it is hot enough.