DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Power supply for landscape lights question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/311470-power-supply-landscape-lights-question.html)

Mikepier October 11th 10 04:05 PM

Power supply for landscape lights question

I have an old TORO landscape timer/PS in my basement which feeds 3-4
watt lights outside for a total of 12 watts. Because I am finishing my
basement, I have to remove the timer from the block wall. The low
voltage wire feeds through a conduit in the block wall to the outside
lights.
I have outside a weatherproof outlet that is on a seperate timer for
Christmas lights. If I had a small 12VDC 1Amp power supply from an old
answering machine, can't I just use that to power the lights outside?
It would not be exposed to the elements inside the weatherproof box,
the splice would be inside the box since the low voltage wire from the
lights is long enough to reach.. It also eliminates me from mounting
the TORO box outside.

Art Todesco October 11th 10 05:42 PM

On 10/11/2010 11:14 AM, A. Baum wrote:
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:05:35 -0700, Mikepier wrote:

I have an old TORO landscape timer/PS in my basement which feeds 3-4
watt lights outside for a total of 12 watts. Because I am finishing my
basement, I have to remove the timer from the block wall. The low
voltage wire feeds through a conduit in the block wall to the outside
lights.
I have outside a weatherproof outlet that is on a seperate timer for
Christmas lights. If I had a small 12VDC 1Amp power supply from an old
answering machine, can't I just use that to power the lights outside? It
would not be exposed to the elements inside the weatherproof box, the
splice would be inside the box since the low voltage wire from the
lights is long enough to reach.. It also eliminates me from mounting the
TORO box outside.

12 watts @ 12 volts = 1 amp. You would be maxing out a 1 amp DC supply
and it wouldn't last long.

Most wall warts are not weatherproof. If the outlet has an "in use"
cover, that might be ok. But as mentioned above, you really need a
little bigger wall wart.

Mikepier October 12th 10 03:31 PM

Power supply for landscape lights question

OK, I made it easy for myself and mounted the original timer outside
next to the outlet. I jumped out the timer in the basement so now the
outlet is on full time, and the landscape lights are contolled by the
TORO timer.