Old October 2nd 10, 10:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat-panel TV on old TV cabinet

How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

Old October 2nd 10, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 5:30 PM, gcotterl wrote:
How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

Put one of those fake electric fireplace things in the hole where the TV
used to be, and set the flat-screen on top.
( :^/, of course )

Serious answer- time to junk the old console, or convert it into a
minibar, or something. I've seen kludges like you are proposing, and
they all looked like crap. You can never get the trim you add to look
like the original factory finish.
--
aem sends...
Old October 2nd 10, 11:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote in message
How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

If the flat panel TV fits into the hole, you could screw a plywood panel
inside, keeping it toward the front of the cabinet. Use a wall mount on the
TV so the finished product has the TV at or near the front. You may need
some additional weight in the back of the cabinet.

Old October 2nd 10, 11:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 2:48*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 10/2/2010 5:30 PM, gcotterl wrote:

How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? *(I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

Put one of those fake electric fireplace things in the hole where the TV
used to be, and set the flat-screen on top.
* ( *:^/, of course )

Serious answer- time to junk the old console, or convert it into a
minibar, or something. I've seen kludges like you are proposing, and
they all looked like crap. You can never get the trim you add to look
like the original factory finish.
--
aem sends...

The old console is a good-looking piece of furniture which would
accomodate a new flat-panel TV better than holding a fake fireplace or
being converted to a minibar.
Old October 2nd 10, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 6:26 PM, gcotterl wrote:
On Oct 2, 2:48 pm, wrote:
On 10/2/2010 5:30 PM, gcotterl wrote:

How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

Put one of those fake electric fireplace things in the hole where the TV
used to be, and set the flat-screen on top.
( :^/, of course )

Serious answer- time to junk the old console, or convert it into a
minibar, or something. I've seen kludges like you are proposing, and
they all looked like crap. You can never get the trim you add to look
like the original factory finish.
--
aem sends...

The old console is a good-looking piece of furniture which would
accomodate a new flat-panel TV better than holding a fake fireplace or
being converted to a minibar.

If your heart is set on keeping it, find some cabinet-grade plywood that
matches as close as you can, and line the open spot to make it look like
a shelf. Don't forget vent and cable holes in the back. Take your best
shot in the Minwax aisle at the Borg, for a matching shade of gel stain
to rub on. Or possibly make a slightly-inset panel for the hole, and
mount the new TV on a shallow wall mount. I'm having trouble picturing a
modern wide TV that would fit in the hole where an old 4:3 aspect TV
used to sit, unless the screen is a lot smaller. (I see a LOT of very
fancy entertainment centers sitting by the curb, for that very reason.)
And i still think you will have trouble trimming out the front edges
where old wood meets new, and getting it to look right. But what the
heck, it won't cost too much, and it will be an educational experience.
Post pictures on one of the picture sites when you are done, and put a
link back here. I'm kinda curious at this point how you make out.

--
aem sends...

Old October 3rd 10, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote
How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

The old console is a good-looking piece of furniture which would
accomodate a new flat-panel TV better than holding a fake fireplace or
being converted to a minibar.

The old TV screen used to fit in a "hole" measuring 27" wide by 18"
tall but I don't plan on trying to "fit" the new flat-panel TV into
that hole

Instead, I'm thinking about mounting the new flat-panel TV to the
FRONT of the console. That area is 46" wide and 23" tall so it should
accomodate a decent-size flat-panel TV.

You can use a wall mount on the front and put the TV on that. Frankly, no
matter what you do it is pretty much going to look like a hack job. Only
way is to carefully cut out the front to recess the flat panel and put a
mount on the inside of the existing cabinet. It will still look like a hack
job though. Sometimes you just have to let go.

Old October 3rd 10, 01:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 4:30 PM, gcotterl wrote:
How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

jb weld

--
Steve Barker
Old October 3rd 10, 06:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 17:48:22 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 10/2/2010 5:30 PM, gcotterl wrote:
How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? (I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

Put one of those fake electric fireplace things in the hole where the TV
used to be, and set the flat-screen on top.
( :^/, of course )

Serious answer- time to junk the old console, or convert it into a
minibar, or something. I've seen kludges like you are proposing, and
they all looked like crap. You can never get the trim you add to look
like the original factory finish.

The BIG problem is the aspect ratio is oftendifferent.
I HAVE seen some nice conversions, with the new unit installed from
the back and supported using the wall-bracket screws into timber or
plywood "web" to hold it in place. It would have to be a pretty
special cabinet to make it worth the hassle in my opinion.
Old October 3rd 10, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 5:51*am, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:30:58 -0700, gcotterl wrote:
How can I mount a new flat-panel TV on the front of the cabinet of a
1980's-era TV (with a cathode-ray picture tube)? *(I've already taken
the old TV out of the cabinet).

Why in the name of God and all his glory would you want to do a
ridiculous thing like that? Toss the old console and buy a proper stand.

Can't you read? In an earlier resply, I said "The old console is a
good-looking piece of furniture"

Old October 3rd 10, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

he could cut a piece of 3/4" particle board,MDF,or plywood to fit (recessed
a few inches)inside where the TV used to be,paint it black,and mount his
bracket to that panel. He might want to drill some holes for p.cord,cables
and air circulation.Maybe even a whisper fan for better air circ,improving
the life of the electronics.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik