Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.tools.repair+advice,alt.home.repair

Default Air Compressor usage & size

Hello,

I just received a "Speedy Sprayer" made by the 'W R Brown Corporation'
from my uncle's estate. I'm not entirely convinced it will be of any
use other than for paint or pesticide spraying and hoped I might be
able to get some details or insight here. It's pretty old (1960s) and
I'd hoped to pick up an all around good compressor to keep around for
airing up tires, etc; but notice it only has a pressure range of
30-45psi and doesn't seem to have a lot of flow. It seems to run
pretty good but again, not a lot of noticeable flow or pressure
(pressure at approx 40psi peak). Would you mind telling me what you
might know about it or would appreciate any advice on a good
automotive compressor where compressor pressures is concerned.

Thanks,
John
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.tools.repair+advice,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello,

I just received a "Speedy Sprayer" made by the 'W R Brown Corporation'
from my uncle's estate. I'm not entirely convinced it will be of any
use other than for paint or pesticide spraying and hoped I might be
able to get some details or insight here. It's pretty old (1960s) and
I'd hoped to pick up an all around good compressor to keep around for
airing up tires, etc; but notice it only has a pressure range of
30-45psi and doesn't seem to have a lot of flow. It seems to run
pretty good but again, not a lot of noticeable flow or pressure
(pressure at approx 40psi peak). Would you mind telling me what you
might know about it or would appreciate any advice on a good
automotive compressor where compressor pressures is concerned.

Thanks,
John

Are you asking about this?
http://books.google.com/books?id=eSQ...yer%22&f=false
Whew, that a long link. Lots of interesting adds from 1949 though.
There must have been a million of those around. Some had a membrane
instead of a piston and they used a blow off valve to control the excess
air pressure.
How times change, what I'd do, what I did, was get a cheap 100=150
dollar Chinese made air compressor actually I think the last one I
bought was 88 dollars from Big Lots. After 4 or 5 years it's still
running OK. I use it for air tools along with another one for high
volume air tools with the air lines connected parallel when I need the
extra air. Usually one is enough no faster than I move.
Look for something that says it's 1 1/2 to 2 hp 115 volt 4 cubic feet
at 90lbs that ought to be plenty for what you are talking about. Air
hose, connectors, attachments can add up pretty fast some come with some
of this stuff and you can never have to much air hose. And expect to be
awakened from naps when the neighbor kids want a bike tire or basket
ball aired up.
What you don't want is a dinky one that doesn't put out much more than
the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug in ones although those are really
handy when you need them.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.tools.repair+advice,alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 6:19*am, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:12:40 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
Hello,

I just received a "Speedy Sprayer" made by the 'W R Brown Corporation'
from my uncle's estate. *I'm not entirely convinced it will be of any
use other than for paint or pesticide spraying and hoped I might be
able to get some details or insight here. *It's pretty old (1960s) and
I'd hoped to pick up an all around good compressor to keep around for
airing up tires, etc; but notice it only has a pressure range of
30-45psi and doesn't seem to have a lot of flow. *It seems to run
pretty good but again, not a lot of noticeable flow or pressure
(pressure at approx 40psi peak). *Would you mind telling me what you
might know about it or would appreciate any advice on a good
automotive compressor where compressor pressures is concerned.

Thanks,
John

Model number makes a lot of difference. Some Speedy Sprayers will work
with a 20 PSI compressor, and some require far more.

For a general use compressor for painting, filling tires and running
lower demand air tools, you will need a compressor that has a atnk and
develops 100 PSI and 4.5 CFM at 90 PSI as a minimum.

Here is a typical example of a low end general purpose compressor:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...-10-gallon...- Hide quoted text -

And I think the answer about the one he already has it to just try it
out. Even with a top pressure of 45 and not a lot of volume, it
should be OK for pumping up auto tires.