DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   primer for oil based paint (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/309497-primer-oil-based-paint.html)

ypylaw1 September 6th 10 06:21 PM

primer for oil based paint

Hi all
I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

Hugh Jassolle September 6th 10 06:26 PM

primer for oil based paint

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:21:21 -0700, ypylaw1 wrote:

Hi all
I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

That's the usual way it's done. Water over oil is ok but oil over water
is a no-no.

Tegger[_3_] September 6th 10 06:58 PM

primer for oil based paint

ypylaw1 wrote in news:14439ce8-ee7b-40ae-9192-
:

Hi all
I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

Nope.

I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. Just about the finest primer I've ever
used. It's water-based, and can go over or under any oil- or water-based
finish.

--
Tegger

Doug Miller September 6th 10 10:02 PM

primer for oil based paint

In article , dpb wrote:
ypylaw1 wrote:
Hi all
I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

Not necessarily; all you need is a primer listed to be compatible w/ the
paint.

That is not correct.

What he needs is a primer that is suitable for use on fiberglass, and a paint
that is suitable for use with that primer.

[email protected] September 7th 10 02:36 AM

primer for oil based paint

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 17:58:51 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

ypylaw1 wrote in news:14439ce8-ee7b-40ae-9192-
:

Hi all
I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

Nope.

I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. Just about the finest primer I've ever
used. It's water-based, and can go over or under any oil- or water-based
finish.

I would NOT use an oil based paint on a fiberglass door. And mine
came pre-primed.

[email protected][_2_] September 8th 10 02:43 AM

primer for oil based paint

Hugh Jassolle wrote:
On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:21:21 -0700, ypylaw1 wrote:

Hi all
I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

That's the usual way it's done. Water over oil is ok but oil over water
is a no-no.

He's not MIXING oil and water....either primer, properly cured, gives a
dry surface on which to apply paint or wallpaper. Provided the primer
is suitable for fiberglass, there should be no problem. For an exterior
door, oil might be a more durable finish. Just read the labels.

[email protected] September 8th 10 03:15 AM

primer for oil based paint

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:43:09 -0400, "
wrote:

Hugh Jassolle wrote:
On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:21:21 -0700, ypylaw1 wrote:

Hi all
I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

That's the usual way it's done. Water over oil is ok but oil over water
is a no-no.

He's not MIXING oil and water....either primer, properly cured, gives a
dry surface on which to apply paint or wallpaper. Provided the primer
is suitable for fiberglass, there should be no problem. For an exterior
door, oil might be a more durable finish. Just read the labels.

The new third generation latex, as well as water born pre-catalyzed
urethanes are more durable than just about ANY oil based paint.

David Nebenzahl September 8th 10 11:21 PM

primer for oil based paint

On 9/6/2010 6:36 PM spake thus:

wrote:

ypylaw1 wrote in news:14439ce8-ee7b-40ae-9192-
:

I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

Nope.

I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. Just about the finest primer
I've ever used. It's water-based, and can go over or under any oil-
or water-based finish.

I would NOT use an oil based paint on a fiberglass door. And mine
came pre-primed.

Why not, and what would you use?

Seems to me oil-based primer is going to stick to just about anything as
well as any paint can.

- Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (
http://antiwar.com)

[email protected] September 9th 10 03:22 AM

primer for oil based paint

On 9/6/2010 6:36 PM spake thus:

wrote:

ypylaw1 wrote in news:14439ce8-ee7b-40ae-9192-
:

I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

Nope.

I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. Just about the finest primer
I've ever used. It's water-based, and can go over or under any oil-
or water-based finish.

I would NOT use an oil based paint on a fiberglass door. And mine
came pre-primed.

Why not, and what would you use?

Seems to me oil-based primer is going to stick to just about anything as
well as any paint can.

Why not oil based? Because good acrylic latex actually stands up
better - and if you are going to use higher end paint - like
automotive paint, the water born pre-catalysed urethanes are better
than air dry enamel and less fuss than acrylic laquer or acrylic
enamel.- and every bit as good on fiberglass.