Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Default removing thompson's water seal.

I have an old, weathered door that I'm working on, and on which I put a
coat of thompson's water seal at my client's request. Now I want to go
a different direction.

Has anyone successfully taken thompson's off before? I hear it's as
crappy a product as you can imagine.
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uno wrote:
I have an old, weathered door that I'm working on, and on which I put
a coat of thompson's water seal at my client's request. Now I want
to go a different direction.

Has anyone successfully taken thompson's off before? I hear it's as
crappy a product as you can imagine.

IIRC, it's wax disolved in solvents, so methods for removing wax might be
helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 6, 10:33*am, Uno wrote:
I have an old, weathered door that I'm working on, and on which I put a
coat of thompson's water seal at my client's request. *Now I want to go
a different direction.

Has anyone successfully taken thompson's off before? *I hear it's as
crappy a product as you can imagine.
--
Uno

Take it to one of those furniture stripping services. They ought to be
able to get that miserable Thompsons off. Failing that, inform the
client that his bad choice will mean a door replacement. Its a tough
one, good luck with making anything on the job.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2010 11:52 AM, Joe wrote:
On Sep 6, 10:33 am, wrote:
I have an old, weathered door that I'm working on, and on which I put a
coat of thompson's water seal at my client's request. Now I want to go
a different direction.

Has anyone successfully taken thompson's off before? I hear it's as
crappy a product as you can imagine.
--
Uno

Take it to one of those furniture stripping services. They ought to be
able to get that miserable Thompsons off. Failing that, inform the
client that his bad choice will mean a door replacement. Its a tough
one, good luck with making anything on the job.

Joe

I find it quite odd that a product that has been around so long and does
such a good job of waterproofing gets such bad reviews in this group.
Did someone get ****ed by thompsons at one time, or what???

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 4:45*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/6/2010 11:52 AM, Joe wrote:

On Sep 6, 10:33 am, *wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

If you look at most factual comparisons like consumer reports you'll
find that it does poorly compared to almost all the other products.
The only thing they do well is advertise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 1:45*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/6/2010 11:52 AM, Joe wrote:

On Sep 6, 10:33 am, *wrote:
[...]

People may be thinking about the "old" oil-based Thompson's. A few
years ago it became unavailable in California, and the water-based
version deserves every epithet directed at it.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2010 9:39 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sep 6, 1:45 pm, Steve wrote:
On 9/6/2010 11:52 AM, Joe wrote:

On Sep 6, 10:33 am, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps that's the reason for my confusion. I haven't used the stuff
for about 15 years.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 6, 2010 at 8:33:49 AM UTC-7, Uno wrote:
I have an old, weathered door that I'm working on, and on which I put a
coat of thompson's water seal at my client's request. Now I want to go
a different direction.

Has anyone successfully taken thompson's off before? I hear it's as
crappy a product as you can imagine.
--
Uno

It is not a crappy product, but it is what it is...a coat of wax. Use a pressure washer.

--

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by
persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain.

Thompson's Water Seal notbob Woodworking 44 July 6th 16 04:37 PM
Thompsons water seal Jim Home Repair 4 June 1st 08 01:03 PM
Water seal for door. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 March 15th 08 10:42 PM
Using Thompson's Water Seal Arthur UK diy 5 February 1st 07 11:13 AM
Thompson's Water treatment For Decks, Or... ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 February 18th 05 03:57 PM