Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best ways to wash a pile of gravel?

I have a pile of leftover driveway gravel (about a pickup bed full) that I'm planning on recycling
for french drain filler, but it's very dirty and full of sediment. I
spent most of the afternoon trying to spray it clean with a garden hose,
but I wasted a massive amount of water, and I didn't get very far.

I eventually began raking out about a third of a wheelbarrow load at a
time and washing just that, which seemed to go faster than trying to
tackle large amounts at once, but it's still going to take a while at
this rate.

I think the best solution would be to build a washing frame out of 2x4s
and some fine wire mesh to hold the gravel while allowing the sediment
to be flushed out through the bottom, but I'm not really dealing with
such a large pile that it warrants taking the time to make a trip to the store, buy a
roll of mesh, and build the frame.

I've also read where some people used composter drums or concrete mixers
to roll and wash their gravel, but neiter of those are at my disposal.

Anybody know of faster way of getting it done?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote:
[...]

Rake it out on a solid surface, let it dry, and hit it with a leaf
blower? The fines should take flight before the gravel chunks do. It'll
take a little practice, like blowing leaves out of garden without
blowing out the mulch.

But a screen box and a wheelbarrow is the traditional way to do it.
Hardware cloth is what you are looking for- you may not even need a
frame, just a wheelbarrow. Bend it over the top, and hold in place with
bungee cords. Put a shovel on, shake, and then scrape the 'clean' gravel
off the other side. Once barrow is full of fines, take it out back and
dump it. If you can get the pile dry, you don't need to use water- it'll
separate clean enough.

Or just give it away on CL or freecycle, and have a short load of washed
gravel delivered. It ain't expensive. All depends on what your time is
worth.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote:
[...]

You're plan to clean the gravel of stuck-on dirt. Then bury it.

Am I missing something?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-02, HeyBub wrote:

You're plan to clean the gravel of stuck-on dirt. Then bury it.

Am I missing something?

I'll be wrapping the gravel in fabric, so it'll hopefully stay
clean/unclogged for a respectable length of time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-02, HeyBub wrote:

You're plan to clean the gravel of stuck-on dirt. Then bury it.

Am I missing something?

I'll be wrapping the gravel in fabric, so it'll hopefully stay
clean/unclogged for a respectable length of time.

i would just buy new gravel.

the cost in work and time to clean the old gravel likely makes it a
looser.

I tried that for my driveway many years ago.

Wasted endless hours

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2010 9:41 PM, ShadowTek wrote:
[...]

spread it out on the driveway and buy a load of new clean gravel.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
ShadowTek wrote:
[...]

Apparently you have never made a French drain?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
n...
[...]

Go ahead and build a screen. I made one, and it has come in handy on lots
of occasions. If you're going to spend the time to dig a French drain, do
it RIGHT the first time, and use clean gravel. If you're concerned about
getting the dirt out of it, it must be pretty dirty. Don't settle for 50%
runoff or a clogged French drain.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

You're plan to clean the gravel of stuck-on dirt. Then bury it.

Am I missing something?

Apparently you have never made a French drain?

Your are correct. I hate all things French.

In fact, right after the first Gulf War, I found myself in line at the
market when a gong went off.

"Congratulations!" said the clerkette, "you've just won a free loaf of
Randall's famous French Bread!"

"I don't like the French," I said. May I have a loaf of San Francisco
Sourdough bread instead?"

"Er, no. I don't have any sourdough bread."

"Mexican cornbread, Greek Pita Loaf?"

"I've got this French bread right here," the clerkette said.

Fearing this episode would turn into a poor imitation of the Monty Python
Cheese Shop skit, I asked of the six or so people behind me: "Anyone want a
free loaf of perfidious French bread?" One chap meekly raised his hand.

"Give it to that guy" I instructed the clerk.

She set the bread aside, took a breath, and got back on message. "Would you
prefer paper or plastic?" she asked.

"I don't care," I said. "I'm bisacksual."

She lost it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

Steve B wrote:

You're plan to clean the gravel of stuck-on dirt. Then bury it.

Am I missing something?

Apparently you have never made a French drain?

You are correct. I hate all things French.

Mr. French was a New Englander. [which may be just as distasteful to
you, but I just had to say it.g]

-snip-

"I don't care," I said. "I'm bisacksual."

That may be the worst pun I have ever heard. [which makes it the best
pun I have ever heard]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 2, 6:38*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

snip

She set the bread aside, took a breath, and got back on message. "Would you
prefer paper or plastic?" she asked.

"I don't care," I said. "I'm bisacksual."

She lost it.

Now that's the best groaner I've heard for years...

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

You are correct. I hate all things French.

Mr. French was a New Englander. [which may be just as distasteful to
you, but I just had to say it.g]

Right.

Robert Timothy French was from New York. The company he founded makes
MUSTARD. Be that as it my, he should have changed his name to "Huguenot."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 14:52:04 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

You are correct. I hate all things French.

Mr. French was a New Englander. [which may be just as distasteful to
you, but I just had to say it.g]

Right.

Robert Timothy French was from New York. The company he founded makes
MUSTARD. Be that as it my, he should have changed his name to "Huguenot."

Mustard guys were from NY-- drain guy was from Massachusetts.

In 2003 they put out a news release telling folks they were not French
by nationality.
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2003/0...nch030327.html

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mr. French was a New Englander. [which may be just as distasteful
to you, but I just had to say it.g]

Right.

Robert Timothy French was from New York. The company he founded makes
MUSTARD. Be that as it my, he should have changed his name to
"Huguenot."

Mustard guys were from NY-- drain guy was from Massachusetts.

In 2003 they put out a news release telling folks they were not French
by nationality.
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2003/0...nch030327.html

Again right. It was the mustard Frenchies who put out the press release. All
the more reason they should have changed their name to Huguenot. Without
trying to invoke a Godwin, what would YOU do if your surname was Hitler?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Again right. It was the mustard Frenchies who put out the press release. All
the more reason they should have changed their name to Huguenot. Without
trying to invoke a Godwin, what would YOU do if your surname was Hitler?

Go around invading my neighbors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:40:44 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mr. French was a New Englander. [which may be just as distasteful
to you, but I just had to say it.g]

Right.

Robert Timothy French was from New York. The company he founded makes
MUSTARD. Be that as it my, he should have changed his name to
"Huguenot."

Mustard guys were from NY-- drain guy was from Massachusetts.

In 2003 they put out a news release telling folks they were not French
by nationality.
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2003/0...nch030327.html

Again right. It was the mustard Frenchies who put out the press release. All
the more reason they should have changed their name to Huguenot. Without
trying to invoke a Godwin, what would YOU do if your surname was Hitler?

We changed it to Elbrecht, mein freund.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ShadowTek, bo bob wrote:
ShadowTek wrote:

[...]

get a shopping cart, flip up the hinged back panel, and toss the gravel in
by the shovelful. if you need to retain a finer size stone, add the
appropriate sized wire mesh. when this gets tedious, pretend you're a
fireman on a locomotive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I don't know when I had to clean couple wheel barrowful, I filled them
in a drum with water rolled it around a few minutes tumbling. They came
out shiny clean.
Senior Member

What about this:

Get two identical 5 gallon pails from Home Depot.

Drill many small holes in the bottom of one pail and set it inside the other pail.

Shovel some gravel into the two pails and add water until it covers the gravel.

Now raise and lower the inner pail so that water flows into and out of the gravel, cleaning the gravel as it does.

Empty the dirty water into a larger container (like a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner base) and allow the solids time to settle out. Siphon the clean water out for reuse.

Would that work?
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

ShadowTek wrote:

[...]

Don't WASH it, sieve it. Make a 2 x 4 frame about 2 feet by 6 feet, tack
some wire mesh on it sized to the size of stone you want to keep. Set it up
at a 45 degree angle and shovel the gravel against it at the top. By the
time the gravel has rolled down the wire mesh, it will have lost enough of
the fines to make it clean enough to use in your French drain. Be sure to
clean up the fines that drop through the screen to keep them from plugging
the mesh at the bottom of the slope. This method can go real fast if two or
more are working. One to throw the gravel at the top of the mesh, one to
remove the fines, and one to claim the screened gravel that you want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 19:44:40 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

ShadowTek wrote:

[...]

That works fine for readying stone for the french drain. When you
need to wash it is when you are using it as aggregate in concrete and
the fines are organic - soil instead of pure sand.

We washed about half a yard in Burkina to make concrete for the base
of the water system - using the screaning method with a hose, 5 gallon
pail at a time. Kept the kids occupied (young teens at the time)
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ShadowTek, Bill in Palmyra wrote:
I used a cement mixer. Throw about 2 buckets of gravel in there, turn it on,
spray water in, shut off and pour off the dirty water, repeat about 3 times.
Did about a ton of gravel in an hour and a half.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...el-478656-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ShadowTek, Lisa wrote:
I need to wash pebble rock, any ideas?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...el-478656-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:44:07 AM UTC-5, Lisa wrote:
replying to ShadowTek, Lisa wrote:
I need to wash pebble rock, any ideas?
--

Pick up each pebble one at a time, spray them with Formula 409 then wipe them off. Easy! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pebble Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Apr 2016, Uncle Monster wrote in
alt.home.repair:

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:44:07 AM UTC-5, Lisa wrote:
replying to ShadowTek, Lisa wrote:
I need to wash pebble rock, any ideas?

Pick up each pebble one at a time, spray them with Formula 409
then wipe them off. Easy! ^_^

Q-Tips are also helpful for getting dirt out of the cracks, and Lemon
Pledge is good for making each pebble shine, plus they will smell
wonderful!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:45:52 PM UTC-5, Nil wrote:
On 26 Apr 2016, Uncle Monster wrote in
alt.home.repair:

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:44:07 AM UTC-5, Lisa wrote:
replying to ShadowTek, Lisa wrote:
I need to wash pebble rock, any ideas?

Pick up each pebble one at a time, spray them with Formula 409
then wipe them off. Easy! ^_^

Q-Tips are also helpful for getting dirt out of the cracks, and Lemon
Pledge is good for making each pebble shine, plus they will smell
wonderful!

Oh darn! I forgot about using an old toothbrush to clean them. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Darn Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2016 2:45 PM, Nil wrote:

Pick up each pebble one at a time, spray them with Formula 409
then wipe them off. Easy! ^_^

Q-Tips are also helpful for getting dirt out of the cracks, and Lemon
Pledge is good for making each pebble shine, plus they will smell
wonderful!

A few at a time in a front loading washer?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Apr 2016, Stormin Mormon wrote in
alt.home.repair:

On 4/26/2016 2:45 PM, Nil wrote:

Q-Tips are also helpful for getting dirt out of the cracks, and
Lemon Pledge is good for making each pebble shine, plus they will
smell wonderful!

A few at a time in a front loading washer?

They come out less wrinkled if you tumble dry at low temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On having tried washing gravel, its far easier to have a backhoe gig it out, and replace with new gravel

altough washing in a cement mixer is probably the easiest
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2016 2:45 PM, Nil wrote:

Q-Tips are also helpful for getting dirt out of the cracks, and
Lemon Pledge is good for making each pebble shine, plus they will
smell wonderful!

A few at a time in a front loading washer?

They come out less wrinkled if you tumble dry at low temperature.

I thought everyone just ironed them on cotton setting?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:44:07 AM UTC-5, Lisa wrote:
replying to ShadowTek, Lisa wrote:
I need to wash pebble rock, any ideas?
--

Pick up each pebble one at a time, spray them with Formula 409 then wipe them off. Easy! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pebble Monster

Let's have a discussion whether 409 is the proper cleaner; I think acid
would be better.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ShadowTek, GayAnn R. wrote:
I regraded my driveway by hand, sifted all the stone into 7 different sizes. I
have about 30 bags of screen size fines, I need to get the dirt out. I am
dropping the fines over the gravel I put back. I had to take out 12 inches
deep by 6 ft. by 20 ft. long, to get the grade to drop down away from house. I
don't want the dirt back in yet. I washed all the gravel.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...el-478656-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2017 6:14 PM, GayAnn R. wrote:
replying to ShadowTek, GayAnn R. wrote:
I regraded my driveway by hand, sifted all the stone into 7 different
sizes. I
have about 30 bags of screen size fines, I need to get the dirt out. I am
dropping the fines over the gravel I put back. I had to take out 12 inches
deep by 6 ft. by 20 ft. long, to get the grade to drop down away from
house. I
don't want the dirt back in yet. I washed all the gravel.

You cannot imagine how good that makes me feel. Washed gravel is just
the best. Makes nice gifts too!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 09 Sep 2017 22:14:02 GMT, GayAnn R.
m wrote:

replying to ShadowTek, GayAnn R. wrote:
I regraded my driveway by hand, sifted all the stone into 7 different sizes. I
have about 30 bags of screen size fines, I need to get the dirt out. I am
dropping the fines over the gravel I put back. I had to take out 12 inches
deep by 6 ft. by 20 ft. long, to get the grade to drop down away from house. I
don't want the dirt back in yet. I washed all the gravel.

I would use a garden hose but there is a lot of debate between a dish
washer and a clothes washer. If you use a dishwasher, be sure to use
the stuff that keeps the streaks off of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to ShadowTek, GayAnn R. wrote:
I regraded my driveway by hand, sifted all the stone into 7 different sizes. I
have about 30 bags of screen size fines, I need to get the dirt out. I am
dropping the fines over the gravel I put back. I had to take out 12 inches
deep by 6 ft. by 20 ft. long, to get the grade to drop down away from house. I
don't want the dirt back in yet. I washed all the gravel.

I would use a garden hose but there is a lot of debate between a dish
washer and a clothes washer. If you use a dishwasher, be sure to use
the stuff that keeps the streaks off of it.

Clothes washer may be better because you can add softener so the stones
are not so hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

m wrote:

replying to ShadowTek, GayAnn R. wrote:
I regraded my driveway by hand, sifted all the stone into 7 different sizes. I
have about 30 bags of screen size fines, I need to get the dirt out. I am
dropping the fines over the gravel I put back. I had to take out 12 inches
deep by 6 ft. by 20 ft. long, to get the grade to drop down away from house. I
don't want the dirt back in yet. I washed all the gravel.

I would use a garden hose but there is a lot of debate between a dish
washer and a clothes washer. If you use a dishwasher, be sure to use
the stuff that keeps the streaks off of it.

Clothes washer may be better because you can add softener so the stones
are not so hard.

Keep them coming Ed!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ShadowTek, Wally wrote:
I'm facing the same issue. Building a frame for mesh (1/2 in) with 2x4 is not
difficult. I suggest using 2-2x4's connected at the bottom of the frame to
keep it off whatever you've set it on. Buying the material and assembling
this should not take you more than a day. It will be easy to dump the gravel
out of the frame after washing it onto an area where you can let it dry.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...el-478656-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bill in Palmyra, Darryl G Crum wrote:
Thank you. This is what I have to do - about a ton and I do not want to use a
month's worth of city water to wash the stones. The rocks are filled with sand
and it seemed to me that a cement mixer ought to do the job. Thanks for
confirming that.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...el-478656-.htm

Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 27 May 11th 16 01:44 AM
Oh boy, I've got a pile of cherry... jtpr Woodworking 14 June 10th 09 12:02 PM
How to Stack Log Pile? Davy UK diy 14 June 27th 06 11:38 AM
Square ways vs. Dovetailed ways? DeepDiver Metalworking 2 April 5th 05 01:16 AM
B&D SandStorm - Pile of Crap! [email protected] UK diy 18 January 26th 05 03:57 PM