DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Code question for 240V line (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/308520-code-question-240v-line.html)

noname87 August 21st 10 04:21 AM

Code question for 240V line

I currently have a receptacle that has two 125V lines (both connect to
the same breaker). I would like to convert this to 240V. My plan is to
replace the single pole breaker with a 240V breaker and replace the
receptacle with the proper 240V one. My questions a

1) Does NEC allow 240V and 120V in the same conduit? The current
conduit is fed from a sub panel. The existing wire feeds a single
receptacle located on a dock.

2) The current wire is 12 awg (black, red, white, ground). I know code
allows for 20 amps at 120V. Am I correct that I can use this for 20
amp at 240V.

Thanks.

hr(bob) [email protected] August 22nd 10 03:30 AM

Code question for 240V line

On Aug 20, 10:21*pm, noname87 wrote:
I currently have a receptacle that has two 125V lines (both connect to
the same breaker). I would like to convert this to 240V. My plan is to
replace the single pole breaker with a 240V breaker and replace the
receptacle with the proper 240V one. My questions a

1) Does NEC allow 240V and 120V in the same conduit? The current
conduit is fed from a sub panel. The existing wire feeds a single
receptacle located on a dock.

2) The current wire is 12 awg (black, red, white, ground). I know code
allows for 20 amps at 120V. Am I correct that I can use this for 20
amp at 240V.

Thanks.

How do you think you get 240 V? It is two 120 V circuits with the
120V in one circuit 180 degrees out of phase with the 120V in the
other circuit. Look at it as a 240 V circuit center-tapped, with the
center tap being the neutral/at ground potential.

noname87 August 22nd 10 04:41 PM

Code question for 240V line

How do you think you get 240 V? *It is two 120 V circuits with the
120V in one circuit 180 degrees out of phase with the 120V in the
other circuit. *Look at it as a 240 V circuit center-tapped, with the
center tap being the neutral/at ground potential.

I have 240V at the sub panel. By using the right breaker, I can access
both 120V lines to get 240V.