Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Continuous power strip

Hi,

Saw at a lighting store (wasn't for sale) a continuous 4" power strip.
It was a narrow strip with long grooves that allowed one to plug in
anywhere along the strip. Can these things be found for sale somewhere?
What would they be called?

Thanks,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 9:20*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Saw at a lighting store (wasn't for sale) a continuous 4" power strip.
It was a narrow strip with long grooves that allowed one to plug in
anywhere along the strip. Can these things be found for sale somewhere?
What would they be called?

Thanks,

Sam

I don't have a source, but I'm curious as to why you would want one.

You can get 4' strips with 12 outlets like this:

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...ip-652995.aspx

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2010 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it
would look very inconspicuous.

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 9:33*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
On 8/13/2010 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it
would look very inconspicuous.

Sam

OK, gotta ask...

Why would a continuous strip be any more inconspicuous than an outlet
strip?

Wouldn't it still have plugs plugged into it? I would think that that
would pretty much give it away.

Yes, I can see how it would might be more inconspicuous when unused.
Are you building the piece for sale?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
On 8/13/2010 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it would
look very inconspicuous.

Sam

They used to be very common. I still have one. My guess is that they no
longer make them because the continuous strip allows polarized plugs to be
plugged in the wrong way.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 10:05*am, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

On 8/13/2010 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it would
look very inconspicuous.

Sam

They used to be very common. *I still have one. *My guess is that they no
longer make them because the continuous strip allows polarized plugs to be
plugged in the wrong way.
--
Peace,
BobJ

You mean that one continuous strip isn't wider than the other
continuous strip? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Saw at a lighting store (wasn't for sale) a continuous 4" power strip.
It was a narrow strip with long grooves that allowed one to plug in
anywhere along the strip. Can these things be found for sale
somewhere? What would they be called?

I used to have those in my workshop.

As others have said, they are probably no longer available due to lack of
polarization (like that makes a big freakin' difference on a soldering
iron). Plus there is no provision for the ground plug.

I, too, have visited the desirability of hiding unsightly outlets. A couple
of tricks I've used include:

* Mounting a power strip under the item's ledge and increasing the apparent
thickness of the ledge to hide it.
* Hiding an outlet with a flip-up cover that matched the environment.

Just for fun, you might try making your own - a length of Nylon bar, some
brass door insulation strips, a little time with a router...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marilyn & Bob wrote:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
On 8/13/2010 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it would
look very inconspicuous.

Sam

They used to be very common. I still have one. My guess is that they no
longer make them because the continuous strip allows polarized plugs to be
plugged in the wrong way.

They also make it exceptionally easy for children to stick metallic
items in the long slots and electrocute themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

Saw at a lighting store (wasn't for sale) a continuous 4" power strip.
It was a narrow strip with long grooves that allowed one to plug in
anywhere along the strip. Can these things be found for sale somewhere?
What would they be called?

Since you could point to this item in use, we guess a lighting
store would be able to tell you what it is still called and whether
it is still on the market.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 10:48*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Marilyn & Bob wrote:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
On 8/13/2010 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it would
look very inconspicuous.

Sam

They used to be very common. *I still have one. *My guess is that they no
longer make them because the continuous strip allows polarized plugs to be
plugged in the wrong way.

They also make it exceptionally easy for children to stick metallic
items in the long slots and electrocute themselves.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed, safety issues have made them uncommon. I used to have one. I
can see how it would be a lot easier to hide than a conventional strip
with 3 prong outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
On 8/13/2010 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have situation where the type you described would be better?

I'm just curious, that's all.

I want to incorporate it into a built-in piece of furniture where it
would look very inconspicuous.

Sam

They used to be very common. I still have one. My guess is that they no
longer make them because the continuous strip allows polarized plugs to be
plugged in the wrong way.
--
Peace,
BobJ

I used to have one also, it took 3 prong grounded receptacles so I don't see
any problem with polarized plugs. Problems I saw with them was the live
metal strip was easily contacted if one allowed metal to drop into the
channel, and receptacles were easily pulled out of the strip if you were
removing a tightly fitting plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Sam Takoy" wrote in message

Saw at a lighting store (wasn't for sale) a continuous 4" power strip.
It was a narrow strip with long grooves that allowed one to plug in
anywhere along the strip. Can these things be found for sale somewhere?
What would they be called?

Since you could point to this item in use, we guess a lighting
store would be able to tell you what it is still called and whether
it is still on the market.

Uh, at a lighting store, it was probably on their demo rack where they
plug in lots of lights at once. I never thought to look- are the powered
tracks for track lighting the same spacing as wall outlets?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam, look at WireMold non metallic raceway. It allows voltage and
low volt and lets you place terminals where you want. Not quite
what you are looking for, but may work for you.

Panduit also makes similar.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

Saw at a lighting store (wasn't for sale) a continuous 4" power
strip. It was a narrow strip with long grooves that allowed one
to plug in anywhere along the strip. Can these things be found
for sale somewhere?
What would they be called?

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sam Takoy, Maybelle wrote:
Did you ever find them? I'm looking for one ten years later...they were
awesome, and MUCH less conspicuous than having an outlet every so many inches.

DerbyDad03 (along with others here) seems not to understand that the point of
it is that you don't SEE anything that LOOKS LIKE an outlet, so it's not
immediately obvious that things plug in. AND if mounted on an underside lip or
somewhere else where plugging something in requires doing it by feel instead
of by sight, it's WAY easier.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ip-459327-.htm