Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread (it's not NH)

From a prior thread, it appears that taps and dies do exist for standard
USA garden hose thread; but one needs to know the exact size of the GHT
which seems to be an openly held secret.

Can we confirm what the typical USA garden hose thread tap and die size
would be?

According to research, it's NOT National Hose (NH) thread; although it's
similar, it's Garden Hose Thread (GHT).

The best I can find that describes GHT is this obscure Yahoo reference:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1022106AAKkLuz

If that's right, the tap and die size for GHT would be:
O.D. 1.0625 at 11.5 threads per inch

But, does anyone truly know what GHT taps and die sizes are
(and where we can get a real GHT tap and die set)?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 05:07:34 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
If that's right, the tap and die size for GHT would be:
O.D. 1.0625 at 11.5 threads per inch

Wikipedia concurs at an outside diameter of 1.0625 inches and a pitch of
11.5 tpi ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_hose ) but
rec.crafts.metalworking say it's O.D. is 1.031. and has 11.5 TPI.

Early in April of 2004, the folks at rec.crafts.metalworking had some
information but not enough (http://tinyurl.com/az4p9). They concluded
nobody makes taps and dies for garden hose thread, I believe.

"A garden hose connector has a nominal size designation of 1 inch, the
actual O.D. is 1.031. and has 11.5 TPI. 1.031 is real close to the O.D.
of 3/4 inch pipe (1.050) but 3/4 inch pipe is threaded at 14 TPI. 1-inch
pipe has an O.D. of 1.315. and has 11.5 TPI. So it looks like straight or
tapered isn't the problem, no pipe die is near the correct size."

and

"Hose coupling threads do not match any standard NPS or NPT thread.
The pitch diameter (0.9875"-1.0060") is almost the same as 3/4"-NPS
(0.9820"-0.9873"), but the 11.5 TPI pitch matches 1"-NPS, not
3/4"-NPS (14 TPI)."

and

"The thread spec. for garden hose fittings is ANSI/ASME B1.20.7 (see
Machinery's Handbook) and the designation is NHR" 1-800-993-4353 (Field
Tool Supply).

Those at misc.consumers.frugal-living found a freely available tap and die
set but I can't seem to find their link anymore.
http://www.craftkb.com/Uwe/Forum.asp...r-hose-threads

"If you mean garden hose, the proper designations a

.75-11.5NH (cut, formed, or rolled)
.75-11.5NHR (thin wall formed)

However, I don't see how you could make these with just a tap or die,
as they involve a pilot, a relief, and a different lead-in thread angle,
not just threads. Google ".75-11.5NH tap die" = 0 hits."

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:23:13 -0700, Terra Arcane wrote:
However, I don't see how you could make these with just a tap or die,
as they involve a pilot, a relief, and a different lead-in thread angle,
not just threads. Google ".75-11.5NH tap die" = 0 hits."

http://www.diy-forum.net/re-garden-h...e-t120356.html

"As noted, you're probably not going to find a die or tap for a garden
hose thread. The problem is, the male ends aren't cut threads anyway
on anything except perhaps the brass NPT/hose adapters--they're formed.
The female ends are so shallow that you would need a bottom tap and
probably couldn't reach but a portion of the first thread, anyway, even
if you had one."
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Orak Listalavostok" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:23:13 -0700, Terra Arcane wrote:
However, I don't see how you could make these with just a tap or die,
as they involve a pilot, a relief, and a different lead-in thread angle,
not just threads. Google ".75-11.5NH tap die" = 0 hits."

http://www.diy-forum.net/re-garden-h...e-t120356.html

snip---

the male ends aren't cut threads anyway
on anything except perhaps the brass NPT/hose adapters--they're formed.

Not always. There are machined brass ends available---but rarely (if ever)
found on cheap hoses.
I have machined brass ends on many of my hoses (I am a retired machinist---I
know the difference).

Harold

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Aug 11, 1:03*am, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:

Not always. There are machined brass ends available---but rarely *(if ever)
found on cheap hoses.
I have machined brass ends on many of my hoses (I am a retired machinist---I
know the difference).

Harold

Machined maybe, but not with a tap. More than likely they're either a
cut on a CNC lathe or thread milled or whirled on a dedicated machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

set but I can't seem to find their link anymore.http://www.craftkb.com/Uwe/Forum.asp...3/Tap-Die-for-...

"If you mean garden hose, the proper designations a

*.75-11.5NH (cut, formed, or rolled)
*.75-11.5NHR (thin wall formed)

However, I don't see how you could make these with just a tap or die,
as they involve a pilot, a relief, and a different lead-in thread angle,
not just threads. Google ".75-11.5NH tap die" = 0 hits."

http://www.widell.com/popular%20spec...2004-09-01.pdf

Scroll down to 3/4-11-1/2. You will see a garden hose size tap listed.
Don't know about the die though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good machined solid brass are available:
http://www.tamparubber.com/product_pages/coupgard.htm

Go to any hydraulic hose repair shop, they often have the fittings
or make up garden hose sections from high quality air hose
material. They even survive getting driven over.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Brent" wrote in
message ...
From a prior thread, it appears that taps and dies do exist for
standard
USA garden hose thread; but one needs to know the exact size of
the GHT
which seems to be an openly held secret.

Can we confirm what the typical USA garden hose thread tap and
die size
would be?

According to research, it's NOT National Hose (NH) thread;
although it's
similar, it's Garden Hose Thread (GHT).

The best I can find that describes GHT is this obscure Yahoo
reference:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1022106AAKkLuz

If that's right, the tap and die size for GHT would be:
O.D. 1.0625 at 11.5 threads per inch

But, does anyone truly know what GHT taps and die sizes are
(and where we can get a real GHT tap and die set)?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:47:35 -0500, DanG wrote:
Good machined solid brass are available:
http://www.tamparubber.com/product_pages/coupgard.htm

What most people do to clean up a garden hose is take an old garden hose
with good GHT fittings and slice a sharp channel crosswise across the
threads with a triangular file. This self-tapping channel should be shallow
at the beginning and as deep as you can get it near the bottom.

Then they use this "thread cutter" as a thread chaser on all their garden
hoses. Works both for the male and female ends of your lawn garden hose.

If you can find steel garden hose repair fittings, it works even better
than the sliced brass garden hose fittings to clean up the threads.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Aug 12, 10:53*am, Kat Rabun katspianostudio...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
What most people do to clean up a garden hose is take an old garden hose
with good GHT fittings and slice a sharp channel crosswise across the
threads with a triangular file. This self-tapping channel should be shallow
at the beginning and as deep as you can get it near the bottom.

No, "most people" certainly do not bother. They will either cut the
hose and install a repair end, or throw the entire hose away.

The garden hoses I see for sale, even the so-called "good" ones, have
stamped brass ends. These are not re-threadable, or repairable in any
way. They must be sliced off and replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Address.invalid wrote:
What most people do to clean up a garden hose is take an old garden hose
with good GHT fittings and slice a sharp channel crosswise across the
threads with a triangular file. This self-tapping channel should be
shallow
at the beginning and as deep as you can get it near the bottom.

No, "most people" certainly do not bother. They will either cut the
hose and install a repair end, or throw the entire hose away.

The garden hoses I see for sale, even the so-called "good" ones, have
stamped brass ends. These are not re-threadable, or repairable in any
way. They must be sliced off and replaced.

Ho-ho! You must be in another newsgroup. Here on RCM, we'd machine a female
die from A1 tool steel, calculate a appropriate load of Red Dot powder and
primer, and re-shape the end with explosive forming. As a bonus, it would
really clean out the inside of that hose.

It couldn't take more than four or five hours of work to save us from having
to buy a $3 replacement end. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dpb dpb is offline

Ed Huntress wrote:
Ho-ho! You must be in another newsgroup. Here on RCM, we'd machine a female
die from A1 tool steel, calculate a appropriate load of Red Dot powder and
primer, and re-shape the end with explosive forming. As a bonus, it would
really clean out the inside of that hose.

It couldn't take more than four or five hours of work to save us from having
to buy a $3 replacement end. d8-)

Chuckle...

I've done things like re-round them after crushing, certainly, but not
by explosive forming...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Aug 12, 4:48*pm, dpb wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

Ho-ho! You must be in another newsgroup. Here on RCM, we'd machine a female
die from A1 tool steel, calculate a appropriate load of Red Dot powder and
primer, and re-shape the end with explosive forming. As a bonus, it would
really clean out the inside of that hose.

It couldn't take more than four or five hours of work to save us from having
to buy a $3 replacement end. d8-)

Chuckle...

I've done things like re-round them after crushing, certainly, but not
by explosive forming...

--

Or hand write the G-code to CNC a pattern and then cast a new end. But
first you have to build the machinery and the furnace...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:48:37 -0500, dpb wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
Ho-ho! You must be in another newsgroup. Here on RCM, we'd machine a female
die from A1 tool steel, calculate a appropriate load of Red Dot powder and
primer, and re-shape the end with explosive forming. As a bonus, it would
really clean out the inside of that hose.

It couldn't take more than four or five hours of work to save us from having
to buy a $3 replacement end. d8-)

Chuckle...

I've done things like re-round them after crushing, certainly, but not
by explosive forming...

And Bullseye would be better for explosive forming than Red Dot.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
From a prior thread, it appears that taps and dies do exist for standard
USA garden hose thread; but one needs to know the exact size of the GHT
which seems to be an openly held secret.

Can we confirm what the typical USA garden hose thread tap and die size
would be?

According to research, it's NOT National Hose (NH) thread; although it's
similar, it's Garden Hose Thread (GHT).

The best I can find that describes GHT is this obscure Yahoo reference:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1022106AAKkLuz

If that's right, the tap and die size for GHT would be:
O.D. 1.0625 at 11.5 threads per inch

But, does anyone truly know what GHT taps and die sizes are
(and where we can get a real GHT tap and die set)?

For Gawds sake, buy a fricken heavy duty brass replacement like you were
shown. They aren't cheap but they can be driven over and not distort.
And it's good for life! When the hose is shot you keep the good
replacement end for when your next hose has a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:07:34 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
From a prior thread, it appears that taps and dies do exist for standard
USA garden hose thread; but one needs to know the exact size of the GHT
which seems to be an openly held secret.

Can we confirm what the typical USA garden hose thread tap and die size
would be?

According to research, it's NOT National Hose (NH) thread; although it's
similar, it's Garden Hose Thread (GHT).

The best I can find that describes GHT is this obscure Yahoo reference:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1022106AAKkLuz

If that's right, the tap and die size for GHT would be:
O.D. 1.0625 at 11.5 threads per inch

But, does anyone truly know what GHT taps and die sizes are
(and where we can get a real GHT tap and die set)

Could a tap be made for Water Hose Threads ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:07:34 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
From a prior thread, it appears that taps and dies do exist for standard
USA garden hose thread; but one needs to know the exact size of the GHT
which seems to be an openly held secret.

Can we confirm what the typical USA garden hose thread tap and die size
would be?

According to research, it's NOT National Hose (NH) thread; although it's
similar, it's Garden Hose Thread (GHT).

The best I can find that describes GHT is this obscure Yahoo reference:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1022106AAKkLuz

If that's right, the tap and die size for GHT would be:
O.D. 1.0625 at 11.5 threads per inch

But, does anyone truly know what GHT taps and die sizes are
(and where we can get a real GHT tap and die set)

Could a tap be made for Water Hose Threads ?

Could a 3.5 year old question still need an answer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 11:55:03 +0000, it was written:

Could a tap be made for Water Hose Threads ?

Could a 3.5 year old question still need an answer?

A 3.5-year old thread could still need tapping!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know the answer because I have the die sitting on my desk. It's from J.A.M TAYLOR TOOL CO. LIMITED, http://www.taylortool.com, part # 40670, 3/4"-11 1/2 NH HSS Die 2" O/D @ $149.53 The definitive book is MACHINERY'S HANDBOOK. I have the 21st. Edition and on p. 1369 & 1370 it describes ANSI Standard Hose Coupling Screw Threads. Type NH is the full-form thread & type NHR is rolled. NHR is identical to NH, just a bit looser. Don't believe me. Find your hose, get yourself a vernier caliper, a SAE thread gauge, & check for yourself. Threads Per Inch will be between 11 and 12 (11.5) & External Thread Diameter will be between 1.0350 (NHR) and 1.0625 (NH). Steve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 12:07:34 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
From a prior thread, it appears that taps and dies do exist for standard
USA garden hose thread; but one needs to know the exact size of the GHT
which seems to be an openly held secret.

Can we confirm what the typical USA garden hose thread tap and die size
would be?

According to research, it's NOT National Hose (NH) thread; although it's
similar, it's Garden Hose Thread (GHT).

The best I can find that describes GHT is this obscure Yahoo reference:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1022106AAKkLuz

If that's right, the tap and die size for GHT would be:
O.D. 1.0625 at 11.5 threads per inch

But, does anyone truly know what GHT taps and die sizes are
(and where we can get a real GHT tap and die set)?

There are GHT CHASER taps and dies on Ebay. These are Chaser taps and dies only.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to zebloc2, al_gone wrote:
3/4"-11 1/2 NH HSS Die

Ridgid has a 1-1/2" x 11-1/2 TPI, at Grainger the cost (2017) is about $168.00
not including the tap handle. Yoy can get a handle for around $100 new. You
could alternatively buy a lot of hoses for that.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ea-458832-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Brent, Erik wrote:
http://catalog.tapcotaps.com/item/al...ht-hand-/72518
From Tapco taps. The reason no one can find GHT taps.. is because that's the
thread name.. the TAP name is Nation Hose Thread 3/4 11 1/2 NH The link is
for the Best.. too expensive, buy one from china. Remember that it's a meaty
3/4" hand tap so breaking it will be horrifying, buy a good one ..

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ea-458832-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Brent, Erik wrote:
http://catalog.tapcotaps.com/item/al...ht-hand-/72518
From Tapco taps. The reason no one can find GHT taps.. is because that's the
thread name.. the TAP name is National Hose Thread 3/4 11 1/2 NH The link is
for the Best.. too expensive, buy one from china. Remember that it's a meaty
3/4" hand tap so breaking it will be horrifying, buy a good one .. (they
sell dies too)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ea-458832-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Brent, RJD00IS wrote:
But, does anyone truly know what GHT taps and die sizes are (and where we can

get a real GHT tap and die set)?
Right now Amazon.com has a GHT die for chasing threads called "Superior Tool
05265 Mr. Thread Cleaner" made from Hardened plated steel for corrosion
resistance for under $20. For a Male Tap I purchased a Stainless Steel 3/4
NPT to 3/4 GHT adapter from eBay for about $8 and took my Dremel Rotary Tool
and cut angled slots on the side of the GHT threads to make it look and work
like a tap. While both these items Tap and Die may not be used for cutting
new threads where none exist, it works great for cleaning up existing and
damaged threads and for a very small cost, considering you can use these again
and again to clean up both male and female Garden Hose Ends as well as
faucets. You may even be able to help your neighbors hose ends as well with
yours.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ea-458832-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

I think it's the faucet threads that are the concern, not those of the hose. The anti backflow piece that's been required on outside faucets have a set screw that rusts/corrodes and cannot be removed and then the backflow piece with the setscrew galls the faucet's threads when coming off the faucet, which is necessary to repair or replace the useless backflow device, after time.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ea-458832-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Joe Dokes" wrote in message
groupdirect.com...

I think it's the faucet threads that are the concern, not those of the hose.
The anti backflow piece that's been required on outside faucets have a set
screw that rusts/corrodes and cannot be removed and then the backflow piece
with the setscrew galls the faucet's threads when coming off the faucet,
which is necessary to repair or replace the useless backflow device, after
time.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ea-458832-.htm

---------------------------

https://dengarden.com/gardening/The-...-Hose-Fittings

1 1/16 is one and one sixteenth inch, not eleven sixteenths.

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file? Although they aren't required here I use those
screw-on check valves to prevent backflow from sun-heated hoses but I remove
the setscrew, and take them off in winter so the faucet can drain and not
freeze and burst (again). I put brass quick connects on the check valve and
hose ends so disconnecting the hose doesn't unscrew the valve. Just in case,
the first short hose section at the faucet is rated for drinking water.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Mar 2021 07:20:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file? Although they aren't required here I use those
screw-on check valves to prevent backflow from sun-heated hoses but I remove
the setscrew, and take them off in winter so the faucet can drain and not
freeze and burst (again). I put brass quick connects on the check valve and
hose ends so disconnecting the hose doesn't unscrew the valve. Just in case,
the first short hose section at the faucet is rated for drinking water.

What is this backflow stuff? If you're water supply is never
interrupted, why would anything flow backwards.

And if it flow backwards, is it going to be more than an inch or two?

It's 8 feet from my garden faucet to the main cold water pipe. How is
the water ever going to flow back 8 feet.

And if it does, it will get diluted by the incoming clean water.

And then what are the odds I'll drink it, rather than flush the toilet,
take a shower, or wash the dishes?

And if you do get a little garden hose poison, it will build up your
resistance? Like with snake poison.

Who has not drunk out of the garden hose already?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Fri, 05 Mar 2021 14:54:01 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

It's called siphon. The overlords don't that water going back into the public
water supply.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file? Although they aren't required here I use those
screw-on check valves to prevent backflow from sun-heated hoses but I
remove
the setscrew, and take them off in winter so the faucet can drain and not
freeze and burst (again). I put brass quick connects on the check valve
and
hose ends so disconnecting the hose doesn't unscrew the valve. Just in
case,
the first short hose section at the faucet is rated for drinking water.

What is this backflow stuff? If you're
water supply is never interrupted,

But they all can be occasionally.

It can be enough to get all sorts of **** into the water supply, for others.

It's 8 feet from my garden faucet to the main cold water pipe.
How is the water ever going to flow back 8 feet.

When they have repair a blown water line etc.

And if it does, it will get diluted by the incoming clean water.

Yes, but its very undesirable with some stuff in the water supply.

And then what are the odds I'll drink it, rather than
flush the toilet, take a shower, or wash the dishes?

Yes, the risk isnt great, but its more than zero.

And if you do get a little garden hose poison,

It isnt just garden hose poison that's possible.

it will build up your resistance? Like with snake poison.

Or can kill you.

Who has not drunk out of the garden hose already?

It isnt just garden hose undesirables.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

[...]

----------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backfl...vention_device
"Water pressure may fail or be reduced when a water main bursts, pipes
freeze, or there is unexpectedly high demand on the water system (for
example, when several fire hydrants are opened)."

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

[...]

For quite good reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"micky" wrote in message

What is this backflow stuff? If you're
water supply is never interrupted,

But they all can be occasionally.

--------------------------

Personally I've seen and rearranged a garden hose submerged in a swimming
pool to refill it in the spring, to raise the level high enough to filter
out the leaf debris, dead bugs, bird crap and green algae. The owner had
covered the pool but a seam ripped.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file?

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow
preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw.
The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

The saw cuts did no substantial harm to the faucet, the setscrew galling
was minimal and easy to file out.

hth,

bob prohaska

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Rod Speed is an entirely modern phenomenon. Essentially, Rod Speed
man" on the InterNet."

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 3/5/2021 5:58 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Rod Speed"Â* wrote in message ...

"micky" wrote in message

What is this backflow stuff?Â* If you're
water supply is never interrupted,

But they all can be occasionally.

--------------------------

Personally I've seen and rearranged a garden hose submerged in a
swimming pool to refill it in the spring, to raise the level high enough
to filter out the leaf debris, dead bugs, bird crap and green algae. The
owner had covered the pool but a seam ripped.

The companies that make backflow preventers has some good lobbyists. At
work we had to have them on all pressure vessels, like boilers. Our
boilers had much higher pressure than the town water system.

At home we have to have them on the lawn sprinklers. I pay $25 a year
for someone to come out and inspect it. Never saw the guy but there is
a new tag on it and a bill in the mail.

I'd like to see good some statistics on how much good they do. This
gives a number but does not say if it is one year or a hundred years.

https://www.plumbtimesc.com/the-impo...-home-or-work/

A report by the CDC confirmed that more than 1006 people across 19
states in the US had some form of sickness related to water
contamination. Contaminated water can spread diseases in a split second
due to the interconnection of water systems. Backflows tend to redirect
contaminated water in homes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"micky" wrote in message

[...]

Didn't bother to go read it, but also does "sickness related to water contamination"
only include fresh water systems? Public water systems? Or is it any water
contamination, eg water in boats, RVs, drinking water from a stream, etc.
Needing to inspect the backflow thing once a year is certainly excessive.
Another govt program to rip you off and create more govt jobs. Even if they
were going to inspect them, once every 5 years would be enough. Thankfully
in NJ there is no inspection at all. There might be an inspection now when
first installed, but 25 years ago when i had mine put in, they didn't even require
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"micky" wrote in message

[...]