Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE SpaceMaker washer w/MAGIC FILTER: Need advice on this filter

I just moved into a small apartment that has a GE
Spacemaker clothes washer with tow "Magic filters" on
inside of the stainless steel tub.

I pulled these tow plastic housing out and they were
both PACKED with crap. Thing is I cant tell if there
was some kind of paper filter IN the housings..... or
if this crap was just lint packed so tightly and flat
as to appear to be a paper filter!!

Anyone have one of these units and can fill me in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bunny" wrote:

OMG! I just did the same thing and went online to figure it out. Do you
know? Was all that gunk a filter?

No...still don't know if it was a "filter"..... or just
so much "gunk" that it LOOKED like a filter.

Couldn't find much info online either
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Torchwood" wrote:

What scares me, is how much stuff was staying in my clothes, before these
filter things.

Agree!

I'm shocked how much lint is trapped on each load!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sadly I just noticed this "magic" filter tonight after more than a year!! (I live in an apartment and they provided it) no one ever mentioned needing to clean a filter..(other than dryer lint) hopefully it "magically" cleans itself (sadly no) I also did a search for this and am glad others have asked!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 6, 2010 7:00:20 PM UTC-5, Torchwood wrote:
I just moved into a small apartment that has a GE
Spacemaker clothes washer with tow "Magic filters" on
inside of the stainless steel tub.

I pulled these tow plastic housing out and they were
both PACKED with crap. Thing is I cant tell if there
was some kind of paper filter IN the housings..... or
if this crap was just lint packed so tightly and flat
as to appear to be a paper filter!!

Anyone have one of these units and can fill me in?

The filling is lint, hair and such pulled from clothing. The only part to
the filter is the plastic housing, and the metal screen. Check it after
every load.
Our filters need cleaned out after every second load. I have two dogs, a
cat, and a wonderful wife, all who shed. It can fill up fast.

What scares me, is how much stuff was staying in my clothes, before these
filter things.

_________________________
Message sent through http://www.BetterHomePortal.com

Torchwood - If you wondered if you might make your mark on the world - you just helped someone 4 years in the future from your post. Your description of what the Magic Filter actually is ("the plastic housing, and the metal screen") eased my mind and grossed me out at the same time as I saw what was in that filter from the previous tenants. I will monitor it now to see how quickly it fills. Ew. And Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh my GOD! 4 years after this post, the SAME thing just happened to me!!

Moved into a small apartment, went to clean the washer with vinegar prior to using, and saw the "magic filters"

I ALSO don't know if there is an actual filter in there. I hope not because I trashed all the junk that was in there.

All I can say is EWWW!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I also agree with everyone in this post... THANK YOU! good to know I'm not the only one who searches these things! I too live in an apartment and just noticed this filter (after 6 months being here!) When I first moved in I did use those Tide Washer Cleaners a few times due to a smell coming from the washer and any cooties left over from previous tentant. I just recently got a puppy and do laundry way more and notice the washer getting a little gross around the top so I decided to wipe it down when I saw this filter and that it could come out.. EWWW! I also threw out the gunk that was in there not knowing if there was something in there which I now learned its just gross! I sprayed it down with this Kaboom spray for mold and mildew and also sprayed where it came out of in the washer and running a cycle of that Tide Cleaner just to make me feel better since that was gross! Thanks for everyones help and good luck to anyone else!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

replying to me, Dee wrote:
Gross! I just noticed mine after 2 years. I will definitely discard all
this gunk, and hopefully it improves my washer efficiency!

Posted to alt.home.repair

So glad I'm not the only one that just noticed it after 6 months yuk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to me, Jan wrote:
Does anyone know where, or if, you can get replacement sponges for these
filters?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...fi-457717-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 4:44:07 PM UTC-4, Jan wrote:
replying to me, Jan wrote:
Does anyone know where, or if, you can get replacement sponges for these
filters?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...fi-457717-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
alt.home.repair and other home improvement groups

You have a part number? If not, go to one of the online appliance
parts stores with the model number and look up the part. Once
you have the part number, you can probably find it from multiple
source, including Ebay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I couldn't agree more!! I just cleaned the filter and thr black mold and crap almost made me vomit!! It was packed full with that nasty stuff!! I googled it to see if I needed to get another filter but like you was both pleased and grossed out at the same time!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to me, Lynda wrote:
I just did the same think it's an OMG moment I couldn't believe what I was
seeing,it was smelly and mushy just gross.took it out cleaned it for the first
time in the 6 freakin years I lived here coz I didn't know it was there .ran
it through a bleach cycle and it smells like new again...so people if you
smell an odour coming from your washing machine look for that darn
compartment...can't believe what I just saw 😰

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...fi-457717-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to me, Mary wrote:
Amazon sells the entire unit. Magic Filter

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...fi-457717-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 18:14:02 GMT, Mary m wrote:

replying to me, Mary wrote:
Amazon sells the entire unit. Magic Filter

I'm sure that sometime in 2010 the OP solved the problem due to the TIMELY replys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

replying to me, Mary wrote:
Amazon sells the entire unit. Magic Filter

I'm sure that sometime in 2010 the OP solved the problem due to the TIMELY replys.

Gerbil jamup I bet.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to me, Michael wrote:
It does have a filter in it. All I could find was the whole unit housing and
filter. Amazon WH46X10036 39.99

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...fi-457717-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
FLR FLR is offline

replying to me, FLR wrote:
I am so happy to have found this thread. My son and daughter in-law moved into
their first apartment in March. Back in May I noticed the magic filter. I
snapped it out and saw some yucky stuff behind it. I wiped it out, but; did
not know about opening and clean the filter. I am visiting now and snapped the
filter out again. This time it was really messy and I noticed that the filter
opens. There was all this stuff no there. I could not figure if it was part
of the filter or not. I discussed to google for cleaning instructions. I
could not believe that all the stuff inside the filter was not suppose to be
there. I am grossed out. When the couple are up tomorrow I will show them
and have them correct this. They have a new baby and wash all the family
laundry in this machine. Thank you, thank you for all this useful
information.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...fi-457717-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

FLR posted for all of us...

replying to me, FLR wrote:
[...]

So I guess the filter isn't so magic?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to me, michelle wrote:
I have the same problem but my machine won't go through it Cycles what could
it be

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...fi-457717-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to me, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
We've had automatic washers since the 1950s. Some have had filters and some
have not. For those that do, it's a good practice to clean he filter after
each load. You may find some lint, hair, etc., or practically none at all.
It's just good practice.

Having said that, assuming you have a clothes dryer, it will always have a
lint filter and will catch anything that the washer does not.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...fi-457717-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 04:14:01 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
m wrote:

replying to me, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
We've had automatic washers since the 1950s. Some have had filters and some
have not. For those that do, it's a good practice to clean he filter after
each load. You may find some lint, hair, etc., or practically none at all.
It's just good practice.

Having said that, assuming you have a clothes dryer, it will always have a
lint filter and will catch anything that the washer does not.

No, the lint will be sequestered in the pockets of your clothes, and won't come out in the
dryer.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jan, GE Washer Owner wrote:
That's not a sponge, it's dirt and fabric from your clothes!
I assume no one ever cleaned the filters on my machine, so now they fill up
with blue fabric every load.
(Last person must've washed a lot of blu jeans)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...fi-457717-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 4:56:40 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I just moved into a small apartment that has a GE
Spacemaker clothes washer with tow "Magic filters" on
inside of the stainless steel tub.

I pulled these tow plastic housing out and they were
both PACKED with crap. Thing is I cant tell if there
was some kind of paper filter IN the housings..... or
if this crap was just lint packed so tightly and flat
as to appear to be a paper filter!!

Anyone have one of these units and can fill me in?

Anyone know where you can get replacement filters?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05 Feb 2019, buzzsaw wrote in
alt.home.repair:

u want won or tow filters

tree
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no paper filter. Its just lint built up. I found that if I dont empty them after every wash it builds up fast and sometimes pushes lint out through the drain hose and can clog your sink.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...fi-457717-.htm