Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lead Acid Battery Question

Someone "paid" me for some time with a brand new motorcycle battery.
(He bought a 12 volt when he needed a 6 volt, and I wasn't going to
charge him for the time anyway) I have a wave runner with a 4? year old
battery that still works great, I hate to replace it when it works so
well. (It spent most of it's life on a good battery maintainence charger)

The question! He filled it with acid then I slow charged it. Can I
preserve the new battery by emptying the acid then letting it dry?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, Tony wrote:

The question! He filled it with acid then I slow charged it. Can I
preserve the new battery by emptying the acid then letting it dry?

Yes.

Emptying the acid will stop the chemical reaction and preserve both
the acid and the battery plates. Make sure you have a good bottle for
the acid and after a couple days of drying out, seal the battery
chambers (perhaps upside down) to prevent critters from taking up
residency.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, Tony wrote:

The question! *He filled it with acid then I slow charged it. *Can I
preserve the new battery by emptying the acid then letting it dry?

Yes. *

Emptying the acid will stop the chemical reaction and preserve both
the acid and the battery plates. *Make sure you have a good bottle for
the acid and after a couple days of drying out, seal the battery
chambers (perhaps upside down) to prevent critters from taking up
residency.

nb

You need to drain the acid and wash the battery out with distilled
water before storage. If you let the acid dry out, it will be
concentrated sufficiently to damge the plates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, Tony wrote:

The question! He filled it with acid then I slow charged it. Can I
preserve the new battery by emptying the acid then letting it dry?

Yes.

Emptying the acid will stop the chemical reaction and preserve both
the acid and the battery plates. Make sure you have a good bottle for
the acid and after a couple days of drying out, seal the battery
chambers (perhaps upside down) to prevent critters from taking up
residency.

nb

You need to drain the acid and wash the battery out with distilled
water before storage. If you let the acid dry out, it will be
concentrated sufficiently to damge the plates.

I almost wrote "rinse it with distilled water" but didn't. I think
there are good and bad points with that. It goes back to what I learned
long ago, if you drain a fully charged battery of it's acid, then use
acid to fill it up again. If you drain a totally dead battery of it's
more or less, water, then you fill it again with distilled water.

I'll probably just go really easy on the water to prevent too much
chemical reaction when rinsing it.