Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washer woes

I have googled till my eyes are blurry. Hoping someone here will have an
opinion.

I have a small 1500 psi gas pressure washer. Used it two weeks ago and all
was fine. Today when I started it it behaved in an erratic manner.

To eliminate the obvious, there were no kinks in the supply or discharge
hose. The water pressure was excellent. The intake screen is and was clean.
No chemicals were being used, nor have they ever been.

Once started it worked fine at full pressure, normal. If I quit spraying
the engine started to bog down and the longer I did not spray the worse it
got. This is not a listed problem on any page I have I found. Is the load
greater on the motor at idle than it is at full spray?

I fear the pump is dying but I would like to confirm that before I buy a new
pump.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
[...]

Sounds like your cut off switch isn't cutting off.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-27, Colbyt wrote:

I fear the pump is dying but I would like to confirm that before I buy a new
pump.

Is it a Craftsman?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:04:29 -0400, LSMFT wrote Re
Pressure washer woes:

Colbyt wrote:
[...]

+1 on that. The high pressure cut off switch isn't working for some
reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention this is the el-cheapo model. It does not have a
pressure switch.

It is a vertical shaft Briggs engine, with wheels and a direct drive pump.
Illustration he
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bri...0107.htmlThese guys are selling the replacement pump for more than I paid for theentire unit.I would spend the money and buy a nicer system but then I would not be ableto load and unload it by myself without using a ramp.Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
[...]

*http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bri...-psi-p....guys are selling the replacement pump for more than I paid for theentire unit.I would spend the money and buy a nicer system but then I would not be ableto load and unload it by myself without using a ramp.Colbyt- Hide quoted text -

It has to have a internal pressure switch or pressure just builds as
you dont release the trigger, the pressure is building and bogging
down the motor, you are saying it wont go to easy idle? Something
controlls rpm, open it up and check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
[...]

It has an internal pressure relief valve that is not working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The cheapo electric pressure washers don't seem to last very long
before they break.

(copyright 2010)