Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Glass Refrigerator Shelves

Will placing a hot pot or dish on a glass refrigerator shelf crack it,
or is the glass specially treated to make it crack proof from heat?
Thanks.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Will placing a hot pot or dish on a glass refrigerator shelf crack it,
or is the glass specially treated to make it crack proof from heat?
Thanks.

Hmmm,
I never saw glass shelf crack but never put anything hot on it either.
What is the wisdom of putting something hot on the glass shelf?
I just don't get it. Are you trolling?
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Tony Hwang wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

notbob wrote in news:%8yTn.106195$_84.34798
@newsfe18.iad:

On 2010-06-21, Tony Hwang wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb

Why not put the pot first in a shallower bigger pan with cold water, and/or
run cold water to cool the hot dish. While the glass shelf might not crack
(who knows), it seems more energy efficient to cool the hot thing down a
bit first.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Would it be better to put it in the kitchen cabinet, to cool it? How
about under the bed? Trunk of the car?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On 2010-06-21, Tony Hwang wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, putting something hot on a glass shelf in a refrigerator will
crack it. I have done that and it did crack.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Jack" Sometimes-It's-Windswept@Jack's-Hill wrote in message
Will placing a hot pot or dish on a glass refrigerator shelf crack it,
or is the glass specially treated to make it crack proof from heat?
Thanks.

Yes, it can and has broken shelves. Cool it down some first or put a cooling
rack on the shelf, then the pan Always best to let a hit dish come down in
temperature before refrigerating.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:15:10 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Jack" Sometimes-It's-Windswept@Jack's-Hill wrote in message
Will placing a hot pot or dish on a glass refrigerator shelf crack it,
or is the glass specially treated to make it crack proof from heat?
Thanks.

Yes, it can and has broken shelves. Cool it down some first or put a cooling
rack on the shelf, then the pan Always best to let a hit dish come down in
temperature before refrigerating.

Thanks.

Yeah, I always put a pot holder under the hot pyrex dish, but was
wondering if that was really necessary.

I'll continue to do so.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

Placing a hot dish in a refrigerator is generally not a good idea as it will
heat up the surrounding food, possibly causing it to wilt or spoil. There are
flash coolers for such purposes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:

Will placing a hot pot or dish on a glass refrigerator shelf crack it,
or is the glass specially treated to make it crack proof from heat?

Those shelves are made of tempered glass, not low-expansion Pyrex, and
can easily crack if something hot touches them. Also doesn't your
wife/girlfriend or mother prohibit you from setting anything made of
metal, glass, or ceramic directly against glass shelves because they
can get scratched and even crack? Sometimes it takes just a small
scratch to cause a crack, and a piece of tempered glass will burst
into thousands of tiny pieces when cracked.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Tony wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb

Hi,
No. The opposite.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Tony wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb

Why call someone stupid just because you don't get something?

Who exactly puts a hot pot directly into a fridge?
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Tony wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb

Why call someone stupid just because you don't get something?

Who exactly puts a hot pot directly into a fridge?

I'd be delighted to 'splain.

Every Sunday, I simmer a huge pot of beans that have been soaking
overnight in the fridge. After an hour on the stove, they're dumped
into a pyrex bowl. That bowl is hot as hell. Whatchoo suggest, I
should leave 'em outta the fridge until they cool off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Tony *wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. *Are you stupid?

nb

Why call someone stupid just because you don't get something?

Who exactly puts a hot pot directly into a fridge?

I'd *be delighted to 'splain.

Every Sunday, I simmer a huge pot of beans that have been soaking
overnight in the fridge. *After an hour on the stove, they're dumped
into a pyrex bowl. *That bowl is hot as hell. *Whatchoo suggest, I
should leave 'em outta the fridge until they cool off? *

I've put fairly warm stuff in the fridge but if I can't hold my hands
against the bottom for a couple seconds I wait.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Tony *wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. *Are you stupid?

nb

Why call someone stupid just because you don't get something?

Who exactly puts a hot pot directly into a fridge?

I'd *be delighted to 'splain.

Every Sunday, I simmer a huge pot of beans that have been soaking
overnight in the fridge. *After an hour on the stove, they're dumped
into a pyrex bowl. *That bowl is hot as hell. *Whatchoo suggest, I
should leave 'em outta the fridge until they cool off? *

I've put fairly warm stuff in the fridge but if I can't hold my hands
against the bottom for a couple seconds I wait.- Hide quoted text -

Yep, that's what us normal folks do. If it's hot enough to worry
about cracking the glass shelf, you just leave it alone until it cools
closer to room temp. At first I thought this might be related to
something very special that needs to cool faster. But beans? You
don't want to leave food in the danger zone for long periods, but
letting it cool for 30 mins or an hour is normal.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Will placing a hot pot or dish on a glass refrigerator shelf crack it,
or is the glass specially treated to make it crack proof from heat?
Thanks.

Never put anything hot in the refrigerator, it's senseless. Let it cool
to room temperature then put it in the refrigerator. Why wast energy
pumping all that heat out of the fridge?

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.home.repair.]

to room temperature then put it in the refrigerator. Why wast energy
pumping all that heat out of the fridge?

You never finished cooking something, then was suddenly called away
unexpectedly? Never been called back to work for some emergency?
Must be nice to be able to stay home forever. Restaurants do not wait
around for warm/hot foods to cool at closing time. They put them in
the cold case. Get real.

nb
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jack" Sometimes-It's-Windswept@Jack's-Hill wrote in message
Will placing a hot pot or dish on a glass refrigerator shelf crack it,
or is the glass specially treated to make it crack proof from heat?
Thanks.

Yes, it can and has broken shelves. Cool it down some first or put a cooling
rack on the shelf, then the pan Always best to let a hit dish come down in
temperature before refrigerating.

Thanks.

Yeah, I always put a pot holder under the hot pyrex dish, but was
wondering if that was really necessary.

I'll continue to do so.

They sell little sewer-grate looking things called trivets, specifically
to put under hot containers. Since I am reading this on alt.home.repair,
I'll suggest making your own. Buy a cheap but thick wooden cutting
board, like for cheese at parties, and cut a tapered hole in center the
correct size to hold bowl in a non-wobbly fashion. (Isn't the bowl on a
pot holder wobbly?) Drill a few skinny holes edgeways in from the
outside, to allow ventilation. You want a board and hole sized so bean
bowl doesn't actually ever touch the glass.

Personally, I'd just set a plate over the top to keep bugs out, and
leave it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes, and not worry about it.
If you get called away, several hours will not make any difference to
the beans, safety or taste-wise. You eat beans out of crock-pot at
buffets, don't you? On the 'warm' setting, they are a fine incubator.

--
aem sends...
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote

Every Sunday, I simmer a huge pot of beans that have been soaking
overnight in the fridge. After an hour on the stove, they're dumped
into a pyrex bowl. That bowl is hot as hell. Whatchoo suggest, I
should leave 'em outta the fridge until they cool off?

Grin, I use a crockpot (less cost to make'em, can leave on 'warm' for a day
or so to enjoy before you need to decant to something else).

Beans can be left safely to cool until you can easily handle the container
with no problem, even with meat in them. Main risk once they are that cool
is overheating something else in the fridge causing unsafe or unsightly
spoilage.

Best bet for both food safety and not harming the fridge: Pour beans in your
chosen keeper and set it on the counter while you eat. Can set in the sink
with a little tap water partway up the container (room temp water) to speed
this. Eat, enjoy, wash dishes then put it in the fridge. You won't 'Doctor
Destructo' the mayo and other things then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What comes to mind, to me. Cover the pot, so the beans don't dry out.
Use a piece of wood (plywood, 1/2 inch) or some other insulator where
the pot goes. So the pot doesn't sit on the glass shelf directly.

It's likely to spike the temps in the fridge for a few hours or more.
That's also a concern, other stuff may be high temp range.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's likely to spike the temps in the fridge for a few hours or more.

What? You think the refrigerator just sits there and lets the
interior temps rise? HELLO!! The point of refrigeration is to
refrigerate. Temp rises, refrigeration system cycles ON. Temp
decreases, refrigeration system cycles OFF. There will be a pop quiz.

Next lesson: Why water is "wet".

nb
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 2010-06-21, Tony Hwang wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb

Actually, they have been recommending for about 20 years that hot
food, at least meat or some kinds of food, be allowed to cool in the
fridge, rather than on a counter, to shorten the period that the temp
is okay for growing germs. At the age of 80, my mother changed her
practices to do this, at least some of the time.

But she didn't have glass shelves.

I don't bother to do it and I certainly wouldn't do it with glass
shelves, and I think Luna2n's post settles it.

What a pain it must be to find replacement shelves for all but the
newest refridges.

On Leno tonight, he had a newspaper wedding announcment for the
couple, Salm-Minella. I kid you not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
["Followup-To:" header set to alt.home.repair.]

to room temperature then put it in the refrigerator. Why wast energy
pumping all that heat out of the fridge?

You never finished cooking something, then was suddenly called away
unexpectedly? Never been called back to work for some emergency?
Must be nice to be able to stay home forever. Restaurants do not wait
around for warm/hot foods to cool at closing time. They put them in
the cold case. Get real.

nb

Well if it's an emergency, throw the fukking food out.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 22, 2:21*am, mm wrote:

What a pain it must be to find replacement shelves for all but the
newest refridges.

Actually, all you would need is the glass. Take the frame to a glass
shop have them measure it and order a piece of tempered glass.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Tony wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb

Why call someone stupid just because you don't get something?

Who exactly puts a hot pot directly into a fridge?

I'd be delighted to 'splain.

Every Sunday, I simmer a huge pot of beans that have been soaking
overnight in the fridge. After an hour on the stove, they're dumped
into a pyrex bowl. That bowl is hot as hell. Whatchoo suggest, I
should leave 'em outta the fridge until they cool off?

No, but it doesn't take very long for something that is screaming hot to
get down to a reasonable temperature where you can then pop it in the
fridge.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, Tony Hwang wrote:

I just don't get it. Are you trolling?

Hot container in refrigerator to cool it. Are you stupid?

nb

Actually, they have been recommending for about 20 years that hot
food, at least meat or some kinds of food, be allowed to cool in the
fridge, rather than on a counter, to shorten the period that the temp
is okay for growing germs. At the age of 80, my mother changed her
practices to do this, at least some of the time.

It's still a circulating old wives tale to not only let it cool to room
temperature, but to leave it UNCOVERED during that time! My ex with a
masters in culinary was taught that way only 15 years ago thanks to the
highly respected Johnson & Wales University.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote

It's still a circulating old wives tale to not only let it cool to room
temperature, but to leave it UNCOVERED during that time! My ex with a
masters in culinary was taught that way only 15 years ago thanks to the
highly respected Johnson & Wales University.

Not really a tale as there was basis in fact. Go back to ice boxes where
hot food would cause the ice to melt. Things got better with mechanical
refrigeration, but it was far from perfect a a big mass of hot food would
bring up the temperature for everything in the fridge for a while until it
caught up. New units can take quite a load, but I still give at least a
short time for cooling. As for covering, that keeps in the heat so if you
do have a large quantity, it will take longer to cool down to a safe
temperature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Tony" wrote

It's still a circulating old wives tale to not only let it cool to room
temperature, but to leave it UNCOVERED during that time! My ex with a
masters in culinary was taught that way only 15 years ago thanks to the
highly respected Johnson & Wales University.

Not really a tale as there was basis in fact. Go back to ice boxes where
hot food would cause the ice to melt. Things got better with mechanical
refrigeration, but it was far from perfect a a big mass of hot food would
bring up the temperature for everything in the fridge for a while until it
caught up. New units can take quite a load, but I still give at least a
short time for cooling. As for covering, that keeps in the heat so if you
do have a large quantity, it will take longer to cool down to a safe
temperature.

I took an old trivet and mounted a 90mm PC cooling fan underneath it wired
to a 12VDC power supply and connected to an electric timer so I could select
the time the fan was on. It's saved me from many a burn inside my mouth
when cooking microwave entrees. At first I was going to mount rechargeable
batteries in the trivet and build a charging base station so there were no
dangling wires but my wife pointed out that putting hot plates on top of
batteries was probably asking for trouble. Hangs up neatly on the wall
near the oven. Someday I will build a cord retractor to wind up the slack
wire. For now I just wrap the cord around the fan (its designed with a
channel all the way around that makes it easy). Very useful for cooking
pot pies in the toaster oven that come out at roughly the temperature of
molten lava (insert disclaimer for the humor challenged - I'm
exaggerating!). I once got third degree burns doing that and can still
remember the hissing sound of my saliva boiling off when the pot pie goo hit
my tongue.

I believe the recommendation to cover the hot food has to do with airborne
spores and other contaminants like Uncle Lou sneezing on it. Putting it in
the fridge right away has one advantage - you can't forget and leave
something out overnight unintentionally. I'm so forgetful I often find a
cooked late night snack waiting for me in the microwave when I go to make my
morning coffee. That's when I turn to the dog and say "Did YOU do this?"

--
Bobby G.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Tony" wrote

It's still a circulating old wives tale to not only let it cool to
room temperature, but to leave it UNCOVERED during that time! My ex
with a masters in culinary was taught that way only 15 years ago
thanks to the highly respected Johnson & Wales University.

Not really a tale as there was basis in fact. Go back to ice boxes
where hot food would cause the ice to melt. Things got better with
mechanical refrigeration, but it was far from perfect a a big mass of
hot food would bring up the temperature for everything in the fridge for
a while until it caught up. New units can take quite a load, but I
still give at least a short time for cooling. As for covering, that
keeps in the heat so if you do have a large quantity, it will take
longer to cool down to a safe temperature.

The worst part of it is leaving it uncovered while cooling. Much better
to leave it covered and let it cool slowly. Uncovered is just asking
for all kinds of airborne stuff to start growing in it.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

replying to notbob, john martin allen wrote:
not stupid you should put hot pots in the fridge
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/1...n_8854680.html

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-448549-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2019 8:14 PM, john martin allen wrote:
replying to notbob, john martin allen wrote:
not stupid you should put hot pots in the fridge
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/1...n_8854680.html

I had a housemate once that 3 times put a hot, or even warm pot into the
fridge without any hotpad. 3 times she had to pay for a new glass shelf.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/19 10:52 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/11/2019 8:14 PM, john martin allen wrote:
replying to notbob, john martin allen wrote:
not stupid you should put hot pots in the fridge
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/1...n_8854680.html

I had a housemate once that 3 times put a hot, or even warm pot into the
fridge without any hotpad. 3 times she had to pay for a new glass shelf.

A blonde, no doubt;-)

--
.....the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
infringed.

Toughened glass shelves NoSpam UK diy 31 March 15th 09 09:55 AM
Brackets for glass shelves Davao UK diy 0 March 10th 08 09:17 PM
Glass for shelves Harlan Messinger Home Repair 11 September 17th 06 01:53 AM
Fridge - about spill proof glass shelves John61 Home Repair 3 July 5th 06 04:10 AM
Supporting 4 glass corner shelves on a wall Grunff UK diy 11 September 8th 03 03:36 PM