Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen?

On Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 6:25:46 AM UTC-7, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:40:35 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/18/2010 8:58 PM, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

it's the same.

no it isn't

It is not necessarily the Oxygen that is different but the tank. The tanks look the same on the outside but are markered different. Medical oxygen tanks are held to a higher standard than industrial oxygen. Medical tanks are "Oxygen clean" whereas welding tanks may not be as clean. Medical oxygen is also dryer to prevent rust in the tanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 May 2015 20:58:30 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote in

wrote:
On 6/18/2010 8:58 PM, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc,
that would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous)
for helping to supplement breathing / respiration ?

it's the same.

no it isn't

It is not necessarily the Oxygen that is different but the tank. The
tanks look the same on the outside but are markered different.
Medical oxygen tanks are held to a higher standard than industrial
oxygen. Medical tanks are "Oxygen clean" whereas welding tanks may
not be as clean. Medical oxygen is also dryer to prevent rust in the
tanks.

Bull**** . That medical O2 comes out of the very same tanks as welding O2
. And in some cases welding oxy is held to a higher standard of purity . And
any impurities in the tanks can cause the same problems , no matter the
intended end use .

+1

CHECK THE DATE ON THAT POST , you're responding to stuff from 5 years ago

That's what you get from a google grouper. Still an interesting
question that I have never seen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

.

The main difference is that Insurance won't pay for it out of the other
tanks. The other thing is that I don't know if the regulators are
similar enough to regulate how much O2 you get and if they are
compatible with the tubing for delivery.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 May 2015 22:19:29 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 28 May 2015 18:32:38 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 6:25:46 AM UTC-7, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:40:35 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/18/2010 8:58 PM, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

it's the same.

no it isn't

It is not necessarily the Oxygen that is different but the tank. The tanks look the same on the outside but are markered different. Medical oxygen tanks are held to a higher standard than industrial oxygen. Medical tanks are "Oxygen clean" whereas welding tanks may not be as clean. Medical oxygen is also dryer to prevent rust in the tanks.

"Industrial" oxygen purity requirements CAN excede medical specs.
I have friends who recharge their high altitude flight oxygen bottles
from their welding oxygen tanks.

It seems to me all this depends on what the intended concentration is in
the first place. If one is 100% O2, or 98% and the other is 92%,
they're both still way higher than air. As long as the other 2% or 8%
isn't poisonous, if it's nitirogen with a little helium and a trace of
argon and a bit of xenon, it's going to work for breathing for sure, and
I would think it would work great for a torch. As long as their
both high, it doesnt' seem to matter which has a higher standard.

Though I think AZ may be right and there shouldn't be too much water in
the tank or your lungs may rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have never seen oxygen at a welding store that wasn't medical rated
on the label. Perhaps if you are just swapping a little prestolite
tank it might not be but the 80s and larger I see have the medical
label on them.

Medical/aviator 99.95% purity
Welding 99.99% purity
Analytical 99.999% purity

All filled from the same liquid oxygen supply, only the analytical grade
gets extra attention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2015 20:53:19 -0600, "Pete C."

wrote:

[...]

Your world is very different from mine. I was
using medical oxygen that was just compressed air
filtered for pollens and moisture. No liquid
oxygen used, just regular air from the
environment. I was surprised that was all the
'oxygen' tanks held.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2015 11:56 AM, Vandy Terre wrote:

Your world is very different from mine. I was
using medical oxygen that was just compressed air
filtered for pollens and moisture. No liquid
oxygen used, just regular air from the
environment. I was surprised that was all the
'oxygen' tanks held.

That is not medical oxygen. Oxygen concentrators remove the nitrogen so
you get more O2. That would be medical oxygen.

On point that has been missed talking about the differences between
welding and medical oxygen. Medical has one important featu A
certification.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/31/2015 11:56 AM, Vandy Terre wrote:

Your world is very different from mine. I was
using medical oxygen that was just compressed air
filtered for pollens and moisture. No liquid
oxygen used, just regular air from the
environment. I was surprised that was all the
'oxygen' tanks held.

That is not medical oxygen. Oxygen concentrators remove the nitrogen so
you get more O2. That would be medical oxygen.

On point that has been missed talking about the differences between
welding and medical oxygen. Medical has one important featu A
certification.

Actually two, an insurance company willing to pay for it.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
‹ Aaron Levenstein

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:39:38 AM UTC-4, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/31/2015 11:56 AM, Vandy Terre wrote:

Your world is very different from mine. I was
using medical oxygen that was just compressed air
filtered for pollens and moisture. No liquid
oxygen used, just regular air from the
environment. I was surprised that was all the
'oxygen' tanks held.

That is not medical oxygen. Oxygen concentrators remove the nitrogen so
you get more O2. That would be medical oxygen.

On point that has been missed talking about the differences between
welding and medical oxygen. Medical has one important featu A
certification.

Actually two, an insurance company willing to pay for it.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
€¹ Aaron Levenstein

better and cheaper to get a oxygen accumulator, it somehow filter the nitrogen out of room air.....

and is pad for by insurance
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

When you get an O2 concentrator, they also give you a couple of tanks
for portability, also covered. The best is actually to have liquid
oxygen and a fillable portable. This cost the supplier more and needs
more maintenance and insurance pays the same. Typical fill on a liquid
tank is 7 to 10 days.

A concentrator is electric so it does cost to operate. Liquid makes no
noise .

Insurance will pay for tanks for portability, but will not pay if you
call those same tanks as emergency backup for power failure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

That's great when you are at home. Out and about the little "puppy"
tanks are almost a necessity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 2:58:42 AM UTC+1, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

please can u get back to me re weather or not I can use 02 industrial oxygen for my ozone generator.. I usually use 02 medical oxygen....but the machine convert,s it . thankyou can u get back to me

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 2:58:42 AM UTC+1, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

please can u get back to me re weather or not I can use 02 industrial oxygen
for my ozone generator.. I usually use 02 medical oxygen....but the machine
convert,s it . thankyou can u get back to me

Yes it is big difference , Medical oxygen is purified and clean from any
other gases.
While industrial oxygen it is not and it is not recommended for breathing
use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 12:02 PM, Tony944 wrote:

Yes it is big difference , Medical oxygen is purified and clean from any
other gases.
While industrial oxygen it is not and it is not recommended for
breathing use.

Not really, do you have the specifications? Picking up oxygen from one
supplier they are filling both types of tanks from the same source.
Once gets tagged, the other does not. The difference is the
certification.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:02:42 -0700, "Tony944" wrote:

wrote in message

On Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 2:58:42 AM UTC+1, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

please can u get back to me re weather or not I can use 02 industrial oxygen
for my ozone generator.. I usually use 02 medical oxygen....but the machine
convert,s it . thankyou can u get back to me

Yes it is big difference , Medical oxygen is purified and clean from any
other gases.
While industrial oxygen it is not and it is not recommended for breathing
use.

Actually the reverse is true, if anything.ndustrial Oxygen
specifications are VERY stringent. A bit od Co2 ir Nitrogen in
breathing oxygen is not a problem - in industrial oxygen it can be
VERY critical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:51:46 +0100, wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

One might be cleaner more pure oxygen? The odd impurity in welding oxygen isn't a problem.

--
Hello, you have reached technical support.
Please dial 1 to report an issue, 2 to report a challenge, 3 to report a problem, or 4 to report a cockup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2016 11:55 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:51:46 +0100, wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

One might be cleaner more pure oxygen? The odd impurity in welding
oxygen isn't a problem.

I could have sworn this topic was beaten to death more than one time
since 2010.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 21:07:16 +0100, Taxed and Spent wrote:

On 7/30/2016 11:55 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:51:46 +0100, wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

One might be cleaner more pure oxygen? The odd impurity in welding
oxygen isn't a problem.

I could have sworn this topic was beaten to death more than one time
since 2010.

He'll get to those eventually.

--
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/30/2016 11:55 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:51:46 +0100, wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc,
that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for
helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

One might be cleaner more pure oxygen? The odd impurity in welding
oxygen isn't a problem.

I could have sworn this topic was beaten to death more than one time
since 2010.

He'll get to those eventually.

Some help:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.home.repair/welding$20oxygen%7Csort:relevance/alt.home.repair/bHqxvaWHr1c/FrYKVNhSbwEJ
or http://alturl.com/cofda

Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

On 7/30/2016 11:55 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:51:46 +0100, wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

One might be cleaner more pure oxygen? The odd impurity in welding
oxygen isn't a problem.

I could have sworn this topic was beaten to death more than one time
since 2010.

You would be correct!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 22:02:55 +0100, Tekkie® wrote:

Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

On 7/30/2016 11:55 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:51:46 +0100, wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

One might be cleaner more pure oxygen? The odd impurity in welding
oxygen isn't a problem.

I could have sworn this topic was beaten to death more than one time
since 2010.

You would be correct!

Should have used the other oxygen, it could have been kept alive.

--
The evening news is where they begin with "Good evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 13:07:16 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 7/30/2016 11:55 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:51:46 +0100, wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

One might be cleaner more pure oxygen? The odd impurity in welding
oxygen isn't a problem.

I could have sworn this topic was beaten to death more than one time
since 2010.

Perhaps it was, but someone gave it oxygen and revived it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

You are full ****!! Have you ever work or been at filling area???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2016 11:49 PM, Tony944 wrote:

wrote in message

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

You are full ****!! Have you ever work or been at filling area???

I have and I've filled hundreds of tanks. The oxygen is the same from
the main tank. The difference is the tanks themselves. Medical tanks
are also tagged with lot numbers for traceability. Must also meet USP
specs for purity.

It makes sense for the oxygen company to go with the highest level of
purity in all cases.

Don't forget about aviation grade too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote in message

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

You are full ****!! Have you ever work or been at filling area???

I have and I've filled hundreds of tanks. The oxygen is the same from
the main tank. The difference is the tanks themselves. Medical tanks
are also tagged with lot numbers for traceability. Must also meet USP
specs for purity.

It makes sense for the oxygen company to go with the highest level of
purity in all cases.

Don't forget about aviation grade too.

I do not know what co. you work for but it seems that gas you have seen
it has being purified and filtered before it got there,
Organization I witnessed are in recovery business of few different gases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Did they have different grades on the oxygen? Most gas companies have
argon, acetylene, helium, etc. but along the way they can sequester and
process oxygen to meet all requirements at the same time. Saves having
additional tanks.

No, I'd not use a tank from welding service for my medical oxygen but
barring potential contamination from the tank, is is the same stuff
loaded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/30/2016 11:55 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:51:46 +0100, wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-6, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

No it is the same stuff.

One might be cleaner more pure oxygen? The odd impurity in welding
oxygen isn't a problem.

I could have sworn this topic was beaten to death more than one time
since 2010.

Perhaps it was, but someone gave it oxygen and revived it.

I hope it was 99.99% pure.

--
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's fun and games that you can't see anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 8:58:42 PM UTC-5, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

Read this link - the difference is in the chain of custody of the bottle. Medical Grade Oxygen is just oxygen - the bottle itself is presumed "clean" if it's labeled Medical. The oxygen inside is the same, no matter what the outside of the bottle says. http://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/i...ygen-different
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 11:04:56 -0800 (PST), Doctor Bob
wrote:

On Friday, June 18, 2010 at 8:58:42 PM UTC-5, Some Guy wrote:
Is there any difference between a tank of welding oxygen vs medical
oxygen as far as purity, concentration, hazardous impurities, etc, that
would render welding oxygen insufficient (or even dangerous) for helping
to supplement breathing / respiration ?

On Friday, June 18, 2010 ........

The OP died long ago, when he began breathing from an Acetylene tank
while smoking a cigarette. Pieces of his lungs were found as far as 20
miles away.

On Friday, June 18, 2010 ........
On Friday, June 18, 2010 ........
On Friday, June 18, 2010 ........

I think the time has come to start a class action lawsuit against
Homeownershub.com

Any Website (such as Homeownershub) who reproduces this message without
my permission, WILL BE PROSECUTED!

Oxygen Bleach alexander.keys1 UK diy 51 February 17th 07 08:40 AM
Oxy/Acetelene Oxygen regulator stone Metalworking 3 April 7th 05 03:12 AM
Oxygen Samantha BeanHead Metalworking 15 January 4th 05 11:19 PM
Cleaning for Oxygen Service Mark Metalworking 6 June 27th 04 12:23 AM